Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

Sounds to me reading that he was lured by the offer of much more money.

He will soon discover that Glasgow are a much smaller club than Poole with a much smaller and quieter fanbase. It won’t be the same for him at all, though he might leave every meeting with more money going into his bank account. If it’s just money that he is interested in, so be it.  He was very popular at Poole last season. Don’t think a similar reception will be forthcoming to him when he returns in 2022.

• Haha 2

Would Poole of won the league without the "rising star" system?

Firstly they dropped Josh MacDonald for Danyon Hume (3*). Hume averaged 5.01 & MacDonald (3.96) so that certainly strengthened them!

Then they wouldn't have been able to replace Keleher with Smetana / Basso in August as that would've taken them above the points limit! MacDonald using up 4 points compared to Hume's 3*!

17 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Sounds to me reading that he was lured by the offer of much more money.

He will soon discover that Glasgow are a much smaller club than Poole with a much smaller and quieter fanbase. It won’t be the same for him at all, though he might leave every meeting with more money going into his bank account. If it’s just money that he is interested in, so be it.  He was very popular at Poole last season. Don’t think a similar reception will be forthcoming to him when he returns in 2022.

nothing to do with the money it was really that he could not ride for a Wednesday club over here dew to his danish commitments and poole saying they would accommodate him would mean only  running 4 home meeting on a wednesday so was never going to work out a few other clubs in both leagues also wanted his services Glasgow and peterborough  suites him and his mecanic with flight in and out of Uk and every rider wants to leave with money and as much as they can  no matter how many fans are there 

Edited by mac101

1 hour ago, daz9100 said:

It is, looks like a burning bridge scenario to me, must have been pretty heated for Poole to come out publicly like this. Mind you if he's as good as we're led to believe maybe only here a couple of seasons at most and then off to pastures new/richer.

Edited by gazzac
  • Like 1

Bluster to appease fans all that is. Completely contradicting their "we must ride on Wednesday" preaching from 2019. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Bluster to appease fans all that is. Completely contradicting their "we must ride on Wednesday" preaching from 2019. 

Would like to hear Basso's side. Doubt Poole are going to accommodate Glasgow on a Weds when he isn't riding in Denmark by the looks of it. 

32 minutes ago, gazzac said:

It is, looks like a burning bridge scenario to me, must have been pretty heated for Poole to come out publicly like this. Mind you if he's as good as we're led to believe maybe only here a couple of seasons at most and then off to pastures new/richer.

Yep, agree. Be surprised if he is in Championship in 2023. Not always the best plan to annoy Matt Ford, but there you go! 

Edited by lisa-colette

8 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Would like to hear Basso's side. Doubt Poole are going to accommodate Glasgow on a Weds when he isn't riding in Denmark by the looks of it. 

I'd rather my team DID accommodate Basso, so I could watch him and be entertained, rather than watching more R/R

5 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Yep, agree. Be surprised if he is in Championship in 2023. Not always the best plan to annoy Matt Ford, but there you go! 

So he has to base his whole career based on what Matt Ford wants him to do? And if not Matt will spit his dummy out? I don't know much about the Fords, but they seem to expect the whole of the speedway world to revolve around them? And if not they spit their dummy out and slate a young lad publicly? How petty and embarrassing...

Edited by Diamonds85
  • Like 8

Real shame because I really enjoyed my 2 visits to Poole last year, thought it was a brilliant track and great set up, didn't realise it was ran by a bunch of children though? Just wish the young lad good luck for the future, you didn't get what you wanted boo hoo. No need to shame him, I'm sure he's not going to bother riding for yous again, even if the scenario was different now. Hope he becomes world champ :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

I'd rather my team DID accommodate Basso, so I could watch him and be entertained, rather than watching more R/R

So he has to base his whole career based on what Matt Ford wants him to do? And if not Matt will spit his dummy out? I don't know much about the Fords, but they seem to expect the whole of the speedway world to revolve around them? And if not they spit their dummy out and slate a young lad publicly? How petty and embarrassing...

No, but we don't know what way Matt and Danny found out? Communication seems to be a bit of an issue when riders want to move on atm!!

Edited by lisa-colette

21 hours ago, BassoontheGasso said:

Not trolling here.

The Ford family must be feeling sick knowing other clubs are going to reap all of the rewards in the long run regarding Ben Basso considering Poole were the team who brought him to British Speedway.

I thought the Ford's wouldn't take too kindly to Ben's move.

Nothing to do with Ben's attitude, It's just the Ford family being jealous due to them knowing how good Ben Basso is and it's totally understandable as I'd be feeling sick too if I was in the same position as them.

Poole may have got the short term glory last season but they've introduced a superstar to British Speedway who'll comeback to haunt them on several occasions whilst knowing Ben will never ride for Poole permanently again due to the Wednesday race night clashes with Denmark.

It's like Manchester United discovering Cristiano Ronaldo for short term success only for other clubs to reap all of the rewards in the long run.

9 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

No, but we don't know what way Matt and Danny found out? Communication seems to be a bit of an issue when riders want to move on atm!!

But I don't understand. In speedway riders sign year long contracts or short term contracts 99% of the time. So Benjamin's contract was up with Poole, why is it then any of Poole's business where he plans on riding next season. Beyond "Are you riding for us next year, these are our terms" and a yes no answer... Basso doesn't owe Poole anything really? And that's the way the Ford's seem to see it? But why?

5 minutes ago, BassoontheGasso said:

I thought the Ford's wouldn't take too kindly to Ben's move.

Nothing to do with Ben's attitude, It's just the Ford family being jealous due to them knowing how good Ben Basso is and it's totally understandable as I'd be feeling sick too if I was in the same position as them.

Poole may have got the short term glory last season but they've introduced a superstar to British Speedway who'll comeback to haunt them on several occasions whilst knowing Ben will never ride for Poole permanently again due to the Wednesday race night clashes with Denmark.

It's like Manchester United discovering Cristiano Ronaldo for short term success only for other clubs to reap all of the rewards in the long run.

Nail on the head. Jealousy... I wish we would sign a rider like that, But I'm not jealous about it, I'm excited about the prospect of seeing Ben at Newcastle racing for the away side...

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

lets hope we are not in the championship in 2023 neither  but back where we belong :t:

• Haha 1