British Speedway Forum

10 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

But I don't understand. In speedway riders sign year long contracts or short term contracts 99% of the time. So Benjamin's contract was up with Poole, why is it then any of Poole's business where he plans on riding next season. Beyond "Are you riding for us next year, these are our terms" and a yes no answer... Basso doesn't owe Poole anything really? And that's the way the Ford's seem to see it? But why?

Nail on the head. Jealousy... I wish we would sign a rider like that, But I'm not jealous about it, I'm excited about the prospect of seeing Ben at Newcastle racing for the away side...

That's the problem, we don't know all the details! We can make all the assumptions, I might be way off or so could you be. I am massively assuming that Basso gave them assurances if they are willing to give up their preferred race night for him! 

Edited by lisa-colette

1 minute ago, ray c said:

lets hope we are not in the championship in 2023 neither  but back where we belong :t:

:D

25 minutes ago, BassoontheGasso said:

I thought the Ford's wouldn't take too kindly to Ben's move.

Nothing to do with Ben's attitude, It's just the Ford family being jealous due to them knowing how good Ben Basso is and it's totally understandable as I'd be feeling sick too if I was in the same position as them.

Poole may have got the short term glory last season but they've introduced a superstar to British Speedway who'll comeback to haunt them on several occasions whilst knowing Ben will never ride for Poole permanently again due to the Wednesday race night clashes with Denmark.

It's like Manchester United discovering Cristiano Ronaldo for short term success only for other clubs to reap all of the rewards in the long run.

I would think that if they were that annoyed they would have said something earlier to slate Basso & Glasgow if it was "known" after the play offs that he had been tapped up.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Think you will discover the Poole promotion are by the proverbial mile the best and most successful in the sport. I believe the Poole promotion spent many, many hours costing  a small fortune managing to bring him to the U.K., against the wishes of the UKIP govt we currently have in power.  They managed to get the lad a 2 year visa, which I have heard cost the club financially. 

End of the day the lads head has been turned by the big bucks offered by Glasgow. A shame. Glasgow trying to buy the league. Only chance they really have. But we all know what happens to clubs who spend a fortune on riders. Seems at the moment it’s sod what it costs, I want a title. 

That wasn’t a cheap Poole team last season though!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Think you will discover the Poole promotion are by the proverbial mile the best and most successful in the sport. I believe the Poole promotion spent many, many hours costing  a small fortune managing to bring him to the U.K., against the wishes of the UKIP govt we currently have in power.  They managed to get the lad a 2 year visa, which I have heard cost the club financially. 

End of the day the lads head has been turned by the big bucks offered by Glasgow. A shame. Glasgow trying to buy the league. Only chance they really have. But we all know what happens to clubs who spend a fortune on riders. Seems at the moment it’s sod what it costs, I want a title. 

So really Glasgow should pay for the second year of the visa then. 

• Like 1

Rumour has it Matt and Danny Ford got together with Boris Johnson and his team of cronies at No.10 to word the Ben Basso statement over a few bottles of wine and select plate of the finest cheeses. 

The statement got given the green light to go public by Cressida Dick who was also in attendance.

Christmas presents were also handed out but nobody knew who brought them their gifts.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Haven't you just stated Poole spent big on a rider to win the league?

He's a Dane and Wednesday race nights don't suit.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

You have absolutely no clue what Glasgow pay their riders or a clue what's in his contract. Bad enough get this rubbishe from clubs already in championship but when you're getting from Poole fans? Just take the bitter pill that is your own medicine n realise you're not the be all and end all of British speedway

• Like 9

43 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

Just out of curiosity, who holds Richard Lawson’s registration? :rolleyes:

pretty sure it’s Glasgow 

30 minutes ago, mac101 said:

pretty sure it’s Glasgow 

So, if the rumours that Poole have signed him, I wonder what their press release about it will say? 

2 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

The bitterest pill is the hardest to swallow, get over it there are more attractive teams to ride for better track,better stadium  more suitable race nights and most of all nicer fans.!!:rofl:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, lewy said:

The bitterest pill is the hardest to swallow, get over it there are more attractive teams to ride for better track,better stadium  more suitable race nights and most of all nicer fans.!!:rofl:

Plymouth not being one of them?

Edited by Trackerman48
Missed some words