British Speedway Forum

42 minutes ago, Spiderman1 said:

Keleher I heard

Don't be mean......seriously though first year in would they really want to mess about with Visas etc and all the associated hoops that need jumping through

Surely this topic should be in the news & discussion section so all the speculation can be aired until the decision of  where Oxford will ride is made/known. 
Meanwhile has it been made public who the promoter will be?

Edited by 1 valve

59 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

Surely this topic should be in the news & discussion section so all the speculation can be aired until the decision of  where Oxford will ride is made/known. 

Jamie Courtney I believe. He will be running it on behalf of someone 

1 hour ago, 1 valve said:

I disagree "1 valve"  we have the speculative threads of Poole and Swindon both in the Premeirship section .... and it is no secret the the PL are  looking to increase numbers of teams, whilst the CL are not. 

Jason Doyle would be a key figurehead signing - bringing a number of ex Swindon fans along to Cowley ?  Hans Nielsen as TM ?

Edited by old bob at herne bay

I remember listening to an interview months ago,

on the radio.

The chap said that Greyhounds Etc would return

and that the Speedway would be run if it was viable,

i think that he said that they would start in the National

League, to gauge spectator numbers etc.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Obviously Reading never had a team so there won`t be any fans from there going  :)

Oxford and Reading rarely had the same level of support as Swindon. Bristol had massive crowds. Coventry well supported.

7 hours ago, arnieg said:

If I was an Oxford fan I'd be hoping it is not true. I'd want a viable operation that stands a decent chance of long term sucess and I fear that running in  the PL would not provide that.

The most sensible post on this forum for a long time . What is scary is people think they will get big crowds because fans from Swindon , Reading , Cov will go . that never happens in great numbers and never will .

Every one who has try to run  speedway at Oxford money since 2000 has lost  money and broke 3 of them hence why it closed down  . As arnieg said find a level that allows them to run for season after season . Talk of top league etc is insane 

• Like 7

Difference is this time the owner is in charge and will employ a promoter looks like Courtney to run the speedway operations.

So if run by the owner no rent to pay in reality, would earn from bar/food takings etc.

They have a good basis to build from but I'm pretty sure they will run in the prem on a Friday

12 minutes ago, Falcon1983 said:

Difference is this time the owner is in charge and will employ a promoter looks like Courtney to run the speedway operations.

So if run by the owner no rent to pay in reality, would earn from bar/food takings etc.

They have a good basis to build from but I'm pretty sure they will run in the prem on a Friday

No rent would be doubtful but the landlords would take the takings at food and bar venues 100%

If the landlord ran the speedway as a stand up company which I'm sure they would, it would run on income streams of ticket money and sponsorship only at a guess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

I disagree "1 valve"  we have the speculative threads of Poole and Swindon both in the Premeirship section 

Swindon (last seen in the Prem) thread is from 2020. 
Poole thread (also in Championship section for 2022) should not be in the Premiership section - like Oxford shouldn’t be in it until known for sure. A case of two wrongs not making a right. 

I can't think of a single reason why Oxford should start in the premier league. Potential to be a financial.disaster 

23 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Obviously Reading never had a team so there won`t be any fans from there going  :)

Perhaps you weren't "nuts" like us Coventry fans :D

18 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Oxford and Reading rarely had the same level of support as Swindon. Bristol had massive crowds. Coventry well supported.

Reading got excellent crowds at Tilehurst and the first few seasons at Smallmead. Oxford on the other hand had decent crowds in the Nielsen/Wigg era, but a succession of different promoters struggled there.