British Speedway Forum

27 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

He could do as he was not he was not at his best at times last season.Still class when on song.Maybe just protecting average for Team place this season.

You never know with him. But with a stronger looking Glasgow team, he should be more relaxed about it and Sheffield strong too, so could be his best year for a while. 

4 hours ago, gazzac said:

Well you and Gazc anyway....:rolleyes:

Pretty sure other people have as well lol

20 hours ago, Gazc said:

His bikes retired in 2013.

I bet that Charlie Monk wishes he had held on to his bike after he retired.  I see that a dealer has his 1952 Mattingly Jap up for sale on E Bay for a cool £6,950.  Complete with Charlie's nameplate and signature red Tigers dirt guards.  Looks a real beauty and brings back memories for those old enough to recall the loud Charlie..Charlie...chants and the thunderous foot stamping in the stand at the old White City.    Btw it can be posted for £100 it would appear.  A very quiet man was Charlie but some rider in his day and had some great battles with the other top men of  that time such as Mauger, Hunter, Briggs, Boothroyd, Squibb, Ivor Brown to name a few.       Comments are a bit off topic perhaps, but at least the word "bike" and "retired" are a good excuse to slip in  an interesting  commercial !

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SlicktrackSandy said:

I bet that Charlie Monk wishes he had held on to his bike after he retired.  I see that a dealer has his 1952 Mattingly Jap up for sale on E Bay for a cool £6,950.  Complete with Charlie's nameplate and signature red Tigers dirt guards.  Looks a real beauty and brings back memories for those old enough to recall the loud Charlie..Charlie...chants and the thunderous foot stamping in the stand at the old White City.    Btw it can be posted for £100 it would appear.  A very quiet man was Charlie but some rider in his day and had some great battles with the other top men of  that time such as Mauger, Hunter, Briggs, Boothroyd, Squibb, Ivor Brown to name a few.       Comments are a bit off topic perhaps, but at least the word "bike" and "retired" are a good excuse to slip in  an interesting  commercial !

1952? Presumably 1962.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SharpenRake said:

1952? Presumably 1962.

Purely in the interests of accuracy the date given in the advert is stated as 1952, but that is probably wrong as you have spotted.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

Not much under 9 so looks difficult to see much improvement on his current average. 

I'd suggest you don't sign top heat leaders to increase their averages, you sign them to win heats & hope improvements come from the lower averaged riders. That being said I do expect Cook to up his average above 9.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SlicktrackSandy said:

Purely in the interests of accuracy the date given in the advert is stated as 1952, but that is probably wrong as you have spotted.

Way before my time but Charles Edward monk was my old man's favourite ever tiger. My old man's a dour faced sod as well so probably kindred spirits!! Tells story about night I assume was Hampden the referee pulled him back twice at the start, 3rd time he went into the pits, put his bike on back of his car and left :rofl:

7 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Way before my time but Charles Edward monk was my old man's favourite ever tiger. My old man's a dour faced sod as well so probably kindred spirits!! Tells story about night I assume was Hampden the referee pulled him back twice at the start, 3rd time he went into the pits, put his bike on back of his car and left :rofl:

Warren Edric Monk

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SlicktrackSandy said:

Was Sheffield's number 1 the first season i started going to speedway

Charlie's bike has been on Ebay for a while now. Showed Bud Porteous, Charlie's mechanic, the advert but he was unsure if it was genuine or not. Charlie sold a bike to a Sheffield junior and it was found in a garden shed, it was on display at the Fanzone at Cardiff.

Edited by tyretrax
  • Like 1

Is there some doubt about the Glasgow team? Asking as, on the BSPL website about rider announcements, nothing listed for Glasgow.

33 minutes ago, RS50 said:

Is there some doubt about the Glasgow team? Asking as, on the BSPL website about rider announcements, nothing listed for Glasgow.

Haven't issued any press release via bspl is all. Nothing to sorry about

Perhaps theres discussions going on concerning that if Basso is an asset and the actual average he will start the CL season on

Edited by scoobydoo

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

Perhaps theres discussions going on concerning that if Basso is an asset and the actual average he will start the CL season on

Pass the popcorn ;)