British Speedway Forum
M.D

Eastbourne Speedway

Unlikely they would!

Probably the same reason that 90% of speedway promotors (and indeed people buying most football clubs!) do it in the first place! - Enthusiasts who maybe think they can make a go of it, want to see the club survive and maybe some are on an ego trip?

If every sporting activity that didn't make a profit  or wasn't propped up by Local Authorities or rich benefactors was eliminated then they'd be hardly any sporting activity in this Country and we'd be so much worse of for it!

I believe my local football team Norwich City who average 26,000 crowds, provide a lot of employment opportunities and has many worthwhile community initiatives lost £25M last season! - Now Norwich City FC is by far the biggest sporting organisation  in Norfolk and I suspect most of East Anglia!

Edited by 25yearfan

Interesting article in the Speedway Star and interview with Martin Dugard. Who has no part of the ownership and was even removed from the stadium by Eric Dugard (owner). 

"I know there are applications for planning going on ... If there is one less sport in the stadium; it means there is more chance they will allow planning there. But I am not privvy to what is going on." 

He talked about the fractious relationship he and Jon Cook had as tenants at Arlington in a podcast - may of been My life in Speedway well worth a listen. 

Worrying as there was article on various closed tracks recently and a map in with the remaining tracks - considering you can eliminate Peterborough, Edinburgh from that map shortly it doesn't bode well as team sport in the current climate , despite the success of Oxford , Workington to get tracks back running. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Searching the East Sussex and the Brighton and Hove planning register shows no applications relevant to Arlington Stadium BN27 3RE .

Stadium is within Wealden District Council. Have a look at its register of strategic land assessment sites.

1 hour ago, Hackett said:

Interesting article in the Speedway Star and interview with Martin Dugard. Who has no part of the ownership and was even removed from the stadium by Eric Dugard (owner). 

"I know there are applications for planning going on ... If there is one less sport in the stadium; it means there is more chance they will allow planning there. But I am not privvy to what is going on." 

He talked about the fractious relationship he and Jon Cook had as tenants at Arlington in a podcast - may of been My life in Speedway well worth a listen. 

Worrying as there was article on various closed tracks recently and a map in with the remaining tracks - considering you can eliminate Peterborough, Edinburgh from that map shortly it doesn't bode well as team sport in the current climate , despite the success of Oxford , Workington to get tracks back running. 

All a bit odd regarding Martin and Eric...obviously more to it than meets the eye? I believe that Martin has also severed his links with Charlie Dugard Machine Tools.