British Speedway Forum
Racin Jason 72

Kent kings are no more ??

1 hour ago, Wee Eck said:

I gather that the landlords were seeking an unsustainable increase in rent, so nothing to do with failure to run the final fixture. 
But then, that might also be a rumour. 
What is not is that Len has said that, as he promoted a meeting to celebrate British speedway’s 50th anniversary, he was planning on promoting one for the 100th. In 2028!

With all the best will Uncle Len still be here in 2028? The guy must be 120 already!!! :)

31 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

I led to believe it's the same at other tracks they own,  but I maybe wrong. 

Yeah, could put 3 tracks out straight away...

14 minutes ago, M.D said:

Yeah, could put 3 tracks out straight away...

Like I've said MD hope I'm wrong and it's just a rumour 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, JamesHarris said:

With all the best will Uncle Len still be here in 2028? The guy must be 120 already!!! :)

He'll be 90 in February apparently. 

Remember watching him riding at Edinburgh in the very early sixties. He might have won the Scottish Open I think. (But my memory is pretty poor nowadays.) 

He might have worn white boots too! 

Edited by TheScotsman

40 minutes ago, TheScotsman said:

Remember watching him riding at Edinburgh in the very early sixties. He might have won the Scottish Open I think. (But my memory is pretty poor nowadays.) 

He used to, yes. :D

28 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

He used to, yes. :D

Thank heavens - there are still a few memory cells left! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheScotsman said:

I think he rode for Exeter in the 60's and I first saw him in action as a promoter at Hackney when West Ham used to go there. He was always near the start

line and jumped up and down a lot. My next encounter has been at Sittingbourne, but he was in the background. Put on a good show though and if it is

true that he has left, it will not be good for the club. I wish him all the best if he does retire.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

I think he rode for Exeter in the 60's and I first saw him in action as a promoter at Hackney when West Ham used to go there. He was always near the start

line and jumped up and down a lot. My next encounter has been at Sittingbourne, but he was in the background. Put on a good show though and if it is

true that he has left, it will not be good for the club. I wish him all the best if he does retire.

Started his riding career at Ipswich, I read his book years ago, very good read

I had a photo of Len taken  sometime between 1960 and 1964, at Rye House and wearing aRed Devils body colour. When I mentioned this to Len at Rayleigh c.1967 he said he had never ridden at Rye.

37 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

I had a photo of Len taken  sometime between 1960 and 1964, at Rye House and wearing aRed Devils body colour. When I mentioned this to Len at Rayleigh c.1967 he said he had never ridden at Rye.

Interesting - or just forgetful. 

9 minutes ago, TheScotsman said:

Interesting - or just forgetful. 

Probably only rode there once and forgot.

58 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

Rode there 3 times in 1960.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, TheScotsman said:

White boots - yes. Scottish Open - no. On his only Scottish Open appearance he scored 2, October 1963. Scores at Meadowbank were 6,7,12,9,13,2,10, between 1961 and 1964. He scored 9 in the PL Final of the World Championship in 1963, that was impressive in a very strong field. Of course he won the Provincial Riders Championship at Belle Vue in 1962, passing Wayne Briggs in the final. He scored 2 maximums at Exeter against Edinburgh.

• Thanks 1