British Speedway Forum
Racin Jason 72

Kent kings are no more ??

20 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

I did wonder how long the relationship would last at Sittingbourne now a new owner has taken over the dog racing at Central Park. I do believe Roger Cearns is no longer involved ? 

So that's Kent , Birmingham, Newcastle, and Poole all with dodgy landlords.

It is amazing that landlords of stadia seem happy to take NO RENT AT ALL from a tenant rather than a modest increase. It's hardly likely that they have a queue of new tenants with bulging wallets .......... unless the ulterior motive is to run the stadia into the ground with no sporting activities and then sell out for mega bucks to a property developer.(or a car park entrepreneur) 

Agree with All of the above and will add that betting on line is cheaper for the stadium owners than having people in the stadium.

11 minutes ago, Petecc said:

Agree with All of the above and will add that betting on line is cheaper for the stadium owners than having people in the stadium.

They can't sell Birmingham or Poole as both stadium's are only lease holders both belong to the council. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

They can't sell Birmingham or Poole as both stadium's are only lease holders both belong to the council. 

Nothing to stop them kicking out the speedway though. 15 speedway meetings at Poole, with no dog racing, hardly makes the stadium viable.

Edited by cityrebel
Spelling mistake

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

Nothing to stop them kicking out the speedway though. 15 speedway meetings at Poole, with no dog racing, hardly makes the stadium viable.

But they make money with the car park all year round 

25 minutes ago, Arthur54 said:

But they make money with the car park all year round 

So why do they want the speedway out. They don't own the site. Have they got other uses planned for the stadium.

Len might be a stubborn old goat but i doubt any promotor had done more for the sport than he has. The levels of drive and enthusiasm would be worth a fortune if bottled and crazy as it sounds at 89 still had plenty of vision for the future. 

Enjoy your well earned retirement Len. The sport you are leaving may be far worse than when you left it but its definitely not a reflection on your efforts or actions. 

• Like 7

The end of speedway in the South East is almost complete. Lakeside, Rye House, Eastbourne & Kent potentially disappearing within four years is beyond belief. Add this to the IOW dropping out of the league, will almost finish me with the sport. 2022 will mean amateur meetings, grasstrack and the odd trip. A far cry from the 1970's, when it was speedway every night of the week in my neck of the woods.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

The end of speedway in the South East is almost complete. Lakeside, Rye House, Eastbourne & Kent potentially disappearing within four years is beyond belief. Add this to the IOW dropping out of the league, will almost finish me with the sport. 2022 will mean amateur meetings, grasstrack and the odd trip. A far cry from the 1970's, when it was speedway every night of the week in my neck of the woods.

Rye House is far from dead. Important meetings have been taking place and real progress is being made regarding how the track can be restored. It's not exactly a new age of co-operation but at least key figures are now talking rather than simply stonewalling. There is still a very long road but the door to it is no longer locked and bolted. 

Edited by RobMcCaffery
  • Like 5

Despite the continuing optimism from Rye House  ! ! , other than a glimmer of light from Eastbourne for some level of league speedway (in 2023 ?? ) sadly looks like you are correct cityrebel.

South Eastern Speedway is finished.

Conversely,  Grass Track in the South Eastern Centre is thriving with 2 S.E. clubs bidding for the staging of the 2022 Masters championship. ,

Even at other venues across the UK , it is clear that the speedway operations are a labour of love promoted by enthusiasts paying stadium owners a peppercorn rent compared to the returns that they make from stock cars/banger cars (Kings Lynn/Eastbourne) , or just redeveloping their sites for housing (Peterborough).  

Sad indictment that even at Poole, (arguably one of the best supported clubs in the country) the landlords say make more money from running a car park  than they do from letting the stadium out to speedway. 

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

Eastbourne speedway is far from finished.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, M.D said:

Eastbourne speedway is far from finished.

I'll reserve judgment on any revivals, until i see the bikes on the track. Talk is cheap when there is no money involved. British speedway in 2023 could be in a vastly different place.

54 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Rye House is far from dead. Important meetings have been taking place and real progress is being made regarding how the track can be restored. It's not exactly a new age of co-operation but at least key figures are now talking rather than simply stonewalling. There is still a very long road but the door to it is no longer locked and bolted. 

Good luck with any potential return for the Rockets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Len might be a stubborn old goat but i doubt any promotor had done more for the sport than he has. The levels of drive and enthusiasm would be worth a fortune if bottled and crazy as it sounds at 89 still had plenty of vision for the future. 

Enjoy your well earned retirement Len. The sport you are leaving may be far worse than when you left it but its definitely not a reflection on your efforts or actions. 

Absolutely agree. I have been fortunate enough to witness leaping Len at Hackney, Rayleigh and Rye House and he is the old school always wanting to put on a show whatever the circumstances or conditions. Many a time the sawdust came into play at Rayleigh to get a meeting on and riders gave it a go unlike today’s crop. Also very sad the way the south east has lost so many clubs over the years. Whatever the reason this loyal servant to the sport and it’s fans, riders and officials really does deserve a relaxing and healthy retirement and if many of us could be as enthusiastic about speedway as Len has been over the years then perhaps things may not be quite so dire. Mr Silver you are a legend and deserve some official recognition for your contribution to the sport. Thank you for all that you have done.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Despite the continuing optimism from Rye House  ! ! , other than a glimmer of light from Eastbourne for some level of league speedway (in 2023 ?? ) sadly looks like you are correct cityrebel.

South Eastern Speedway is finished.

Conversely,  Grass Track in the South Eastern Centre is thriving with 2 S.E. clubs bidding for the staging of the 2022 Masters championship. ,

Even at other venues across the UK , it is clear that the speedway operations are a labour of love promoted by enthusiasts paying stadium owners a peppercorn rent compared to the returns that they make from stock cars/banger cars (Kings Lynn/Eastbourne) , or just redeveloping their sites for housing (Peterborough).  

Sad indictment that even at Poole, (arguably one of the best supported clubs in the country) the landlords say make more money from running a car park  than they do from letting the stadium out to speedway. 

They don't make more money per se at Poole - its just easier with so little staff cost to open the carpark which is mainly used by Poole Hospital staff and town centre office workers and also to use the Champs venue as a daytime nursery!,

The Council lease stipulates that Stadia UK/Gaming International should provide a minimum of 2 sports or Leisure activities. Many would argue that they are not even attempting to do this in order to pressure the Council to accept that the stadium is unviable!! Hence why the leaseholders are attempting to increase the speedway rent by a non-negotiated hefty double-figure percentage despite the 3% annual increase being the accepted rent every year since Matt Ford took over in 1999. Even if GI do have long term ideas to develop the site, there are currently no plans submitted and even if there were they would take several years to reach fruition, as there would be protests and objections galore.

Rest assured Matt Ford will not let the matter rest and has very strong support from a whole range of local businesses including Solicitors, Property Developers and Marketing experts (all of whom are also sponsors at Poole) - plus there is public video evidence of the Council Leader and Tourism Councillor from their regular 'live Q&A sessions' stating that they support Speedway continuing in the town on the existing site!

Edited by Skidder1