British Speedway Forum
Racin Jason 72

Kent kings are no more ??

59 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Well we can only see if Iwade do lodge an application to join the NDL in 2022. One hopes that the attitude of the BSPL will be supportive to allowing another stand alone club to run in the NDL in 2022. 

Good old Rob McCaffery ploughs onward with resurrecting Rye House and  I wished him success with his venture.

Despite his personal abuse, I still wish him well, although this “fool”, “self appointed windbag” and keyboard warrior is mindful that Len Silver severed his interests in Rye some years ago ….. I wonder why? 

Yes, despite my personal ill-health I 'plough on' helping Steve Ribbons with what people like you described as a hopeless cause. We now are at the point of detailed negotiations with the new landlords. It does get irritating when those with no knowledge or genuine understanding of what is going on declare our efforts pointless "since speedway in the south east is dead". I think few would disagree with  your actions being described as those of a fool. 

You consider my comments to be abusive. Let me tell you quite clearly they were extremely watered-down. When you are working well outside your comfort zone to save a team you have followed for 50 years, no you don't take kindly to foolish comments like yours. I'm trying to save the track I love. What are you up to apart from trying to pass yourself off as an all-knowing authority? 

Now drop the patronising "good old" and leave me and my colleagues to get on with a very comp[ex job. I'll  ask again, do you really care for speedway or your own  sad ego?

A for Len, how can anyone know why Silver got out of Rye House? Neglected stadium needing repair beyond his resources, need to ease off the pressure and work with someone else's capital at Kent? Old age? The failing Silverski business? It's not the first time he's sold a track that others have managed to run, usually after finding the mess they'd bought. 

He is someone with an impeccable speedway record but  his judgment is not infallible,  especially in old age. It's still far greater than mine of course. All I am is a long-term supporter who was lucky enough to work with microphones not only for the Rockets but also on video and for a short  while, cable and satellite TV.

What an appalling thing I am doing to save the Rockets? Of course I deserve your fatuous critique. 

Now can I get on please? Some of us have work to do rather than sit on the sidelines trying to wreck what others are doing. 

Of course IF we fail you'll be able to  boast how clever you were........... Sad, deeply sad. I do pity you. 

Edited by RobMcCaffery
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

to be honest OBatHB seems a bit of a stirrer, I wouldn't waste time or energy replying just devote your energies to bringing back an historic track for which we would all be grateful

• Like 3

Now, back to the  topic. 

One of my happiest times in speedway was announcing at Iwade in the mid-2000s. Unfortunately the 350 mile return journey to Kent saw me have to withdraw. 

I lost my track (Rayleigh) aged just 16 so I am very sensitive to track closures. I do feel for the Kent fans and if the future IS at Iwade I do hope they will support the new start at a track where the financial pressure of Central Park can be forgotten. 

At least there is an alternative. 

Just now, ch958 said:

to be honest OBatHB seems a bit of a stirrer, I wouldn't waste time or energy replying just devote your energies to bringing back an historic track for which we would all be grateful

Thanks ch958. Good to hear from a Redcar fan. I'm only advising Steve Ribbons who is the lynchpin of the campaign. 

Redcar's a shining example of how the loss of a track like Cleveland Park can be (eventually) overcome. In manyb ways it should be a blueprint for others who lose their tracks. Sadly the land values compromise similar efforts down south. 

It was good to visit the STMP and see how you had survived the ordeal. May Kent find similar success. 

17 hours ago, mikebv said:

To be fair to any of Speedways landlords, when they see the sport lose tracks/tracks change promoters due to losses made, so consistently, you can see why they may put up restrictions on any lease..

If the sport had a following that delivered circa £50k a night through the turnstiles then rent increases wouldn't be an issue, nor would a change of promoter to "save the team" be ever needed.. 

Which I would suggest would provide landlords with more confidence in the tenant...

There is no doubt that ARC is a highly professional organisation that must see speedway as an unreliable and unwanted #extra' to buying or leasing Newcastle, Birmingham and Sittingbourne. Their main business lies in operating about 16 of the country's top horse racing tracks. They must be mystified by speedway's continuance. It's clear that even the greyhound tracks themselves are a peripheral business to them, let alone a sport where two of their tenants threatened to cease trading during the year. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, heathen52 said:

, Im told that ARC allegedly wont offer any Tenant more than a 1 year lease how true that is i dont know

True: it was offered to Birmingham 'until they get to know us'. The doubling of the rent was non-negotiable.

3 minutes ago, *JJ said:

True: it was offered to Birmingham 'until they get to know us'. The doubling of the rent was non-negotiable.

I believe that the 3 tracks have had there rent doubled.  Is that the main issue with Kent? 

6 hours ago, Trackerman48 said:

I believe that the 3 tracks have had there rent doubled.  Is that the main issue with Kent? 

As ever with speedway there could be more to it. I think Cearns selling up won't have gone down well. That removed any certainty. 

It’s a matter of public record that Roger Cearns gave up his interests at Kent . It’s also a matter of public record that Kent speedway operated under very restrictive planning approval , despite appeals to Swale Council ( supported by me ) to relax the planning restrictions.

Ergo, a new landlord who might be looking to develop their core business ( dog racing) would be keen to curry favour with Swale council local residents and Swale councillors by dropping the speedway racing tenants. 

Sittingbourne Stadium is in need of investment to maintain it’s facilities. The backstraight stand is in need of either refurbishment or demolition. The main stand requires floor panel anti corrosion treatment or replacement .

Maybe the landlord is looking for a realistic rent to cover future maintenance costs from its tenants. 

On 11/17/2021 at 11:48 PM, old bob at herne bay said:

It’s a matter of public record that Roger Cearns gave up his interests at Kent . It’s also a matter of public record that Kent speedway operated under very restrictive planning approval , despite appeals to Swale Council ( supported by me ) to relax the planning restrictions.

Ergo, a new landlord who might be looking to develop their core business ( dog racing) would be keen to curry favour with Swale council local residents and Swale councillors by dropping the speedway racing tenants. 

Sittingbourne Stadium is in need of investment to maintain it’s facilities. The backstraight stand is in need of either refurbishment or demolition. The main stand requires floor panel anti corrosion treatment or replacement .

Maybe the landlord is looking for a realistic rent to cover future maintenance costs from its tenants. 

Stadium can just be mothballed if it is just dog racing. Saves on refurbishment. That's probably why ARC wanted a big rent to help pay for the works which would only benefit speedway.

14 minutes ago, FromBendThree said:

Stadium can just be mothballed if it is just dog racing. Saves on refurbishment. That's probably why ARC wanted a big rent to help pay for the works which would only benefit speedway.

I was told by someone close to the Kent Speedway promotion that ARC actually want to put a football pitch back inside the greyhound stadium, and then move the football team back out from playing their games on the training pitch next door, and back into the main stadium.   There's just no room for a speedway track in their plans.  Hence the "F Off" rent increase etc. 

41 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

I was told by someone close to the Kent Speedway promotion that ARC actually want to put a football pitch back inside the greyhound stadium, and then move the football team back out from playing their games on the training pitch next door, and back into the main stadium.   There's just no room for a speedway track in their plans.  Hence the "F Off" rent increase etc. 

ARC don't speedway at any of their venues regardless of what may or may not happen with other activities. Birmingham and Newcastle are under severe pressure financially because of ARC.

In an ideal world British speedway club's would av their own stadium's as in Poland but many issues other than finance make that almost an impossible reality.

1 hour ago, PotteringAround said:

The 'pitch' next door is actually a proper football ground that Sittingbourne and Maisdstone used for several years. I'm not sure anybody plays there now. The idea that Sittingbourne FC could move back to Central Park is one i thought about the the other day. It certainly wouldn't suprise me.

51 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

The 'pitch' next door is actually a proper football ground that Sittingbourne and Maisdstone used for several years. I'm not sure anybody plays there now. The idea that Sittingbourne FC could move back to Central Park is one i thought about the the other day. It certainly wouldn't suprise me.

Where do these Teams play at just now?

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Where do these Teams play at just now?

Maidstone have their own new ground and Sittingbourne play in more modest surroundings outside the town centre.

• Thanks 1