British Speedway Forum
Racin Jason 72

Kent kings are no more ??

4 hours ago, cityrebel said:

The 'pitch' next door is actually a proper football ground that Sittingbourne and Maisdstone used for several years. I'm not sure anybody plays there now. The idea that Sittingbourne FC could move back to Central Park is one i thought about the the other day. It certainly wouldn't suprise me.

I was told that Sittingbourne FC used to play at Central Park, but because the pitch was always unavailable due to greyhounds, they switched to the training pitch at the side, which was done up and named "Bourne Park".   (I assumed from the conversation that they still played there, but seemingly not).  Anyway the story I was given was that ARC want football back.   (I expressed surprise thinking that a full-size football pitch wouldn't fit inside the greyhounds, which was when I got the backstory about them playing there in the past before moving next door.

On 11/19/2021 at 6:51 PM, PotteringAround said:

I was told that Sittingbourne FC used to play at Central Park, but because the pitch was always unavailable due to greyhounds, they switched to the training pitch at the side, which was done up and named "Bourne Park".   (I assumed from the conversation that they still played there, but seemingly not).  Anyway the story I was given was that ARC want football back.   (I expressed surprise thinking that a full-size football pitch wouldn't fit inside the greyhounds, which was when I got the backstory about them playing there in the past before moving next door.

When i went to football at Central Park in 1995 there was no Greyhound track. The football club got into financial difficulties and sold the stadium to Roger Cearns. They moved into Bourne Park soon after.

Edited by cityrebel
Mistake in post

7 hours ago, PotteringAround said:

Sittingbourne have had multiple grounds since central park including ground shares. They now play out of if town at the Woodstock complex. Ironically I will be watching them as they visit My Ashford United tomorrow.. :)

• Like 1

I refereed at Central Park not long after it opened, a couple of Kent Youth League games. One thing I can tell you is that the pitch was at the upper limit of length but the facilities were first class. That must have been at some point around 1994 or 1995.

The guy who developed Central Park originally had plans to get Sittingbourne into the football league. Then got into difficulties and I think Gillingham were then interested.

Its remained a ‘white elephant’ in some people’s eyes with dogs the only income until speedway was introduced.

Its a terrific venue but I think speedway came too late to it to have any sustainable life especially with a hostile council and restrictive operation.

• Like 3