British Speedway Forum
Racin Jason 72

Kent kings are no more ??

12 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

They don't make more money per se at Poole - its just easier with so little staff cost to open the carpark which is mainly used by Poole Hospital staff and town centre office workers and also to use the Champs venue as a daytime nursery!,

The Council lease stipulates that Stadia UK/Gaming International should provide a minimum of 2 sports or Leisure activities. Many would argue that they are not even attempting to do this in order to pressure the Council to accept that the stadium is unviable!! Hence why the leaseholders are attempting to increase the speedway rent by a non-negotiated hefty double-figure percentage despite the 3% annual increase being the accepted rent every year since Matt Ford took over.

Rest assured Matt Ford will not let the matter rest and has very strong support from a whole range of local businesses including Solicitors, Property Developers and Marketing experts (all of whom are also sponsors at Poole) - plus there is public video evidence of the Council Leader and Tourism Councillor from their regular 'live Q&A sessions' stating that they support Speedway continuing in the town on the existing site!

The stadium owners don't give a monkeys about the history of the speedway clubs or their value to the local community.

5 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Nothing to stop them kicking out the speedway though. 15 speedway meetings at Poole, with no dog racing, hardly makes the stadium viable.

Stadium as far as I know owned by the Council but run on a lease basis. I'm sure the local council find having a successful sports team in the town very good for the towns image, also bringing money into the local community. 

Matt Ford and those Pesky Pirates wether you love them or loathe them are the blueprint holders for a successful team and business.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, E I Addio said:

Provincial League Riders Champion. Not a bad standard for the era. Hackney and Rye House probably wouldn’t have survived as long as they did without him as promoter and he put far more into the sport in terms of both money and effort than he ever took out.

He didn't forget his riders and the ones that had ridden for him.  Pre season he organised Skiing groups and took them as a party to his resort. I know riders enjoyed these trips and were grateful to be allowed to be included even though they didn't ride for him at that time.

He cared for other promotions as well. When Newcastle left Somerset on our southern tour we used to travel on to a hotel in Swindon on the Friday night. If the weather or track was dodgy for their Saturday night, he always agreed to let us know straightaway early on the Saturday morning, so we could go up the road home and not have the wasted journey across London. In addition it meant the mechanics and riders could just drive straight home without prepping the bikes in less than favourable  hotel carparks. It is this sort of consideration that is now very rare between promotions in the sport at present.

• Like 5

I personally think the less tracks there are in the South East the less chance, rather than more chance the others have to survive. Will be very lucky to have one long term successful track going through this decade

Not for the first time I have upset “ Rob McCaffery” and his gallant attempts to resurrect Rye House Speedway. 
I doubt anyone except “Rob McCaffery” treats my comments as anything but an opinion of a retired long time speedway supporter. 
Let’s see whether any of these meetings which you report as being positive bear fruit. 

I agree nothing ventured,  nothing gained and wish you success in getting a speedway track reinstated at Hoddesdon. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

How can you reconcile those two statements? How can you claim to know more about the Rye House campaign than those running it? Our 'optimism' is based on simple fact, not blind faith. There HAVE been new, important discussions and a new attitude towards possibly incorporating speedway in the redevelopment. These are facts. Now I clearly stated that a door had been  opened, not that we already have success.

You sit on the sidelines offering your pitifully ill-informed comments. All it does is steadily destroy your credibility, not ours. 

Yes we  could fail but certainly if we took your approach we would, 

It would be appreciated if people like you could keep their damaging opinions to themselves rather than try to pass yourself off as some all-knowing authority. 

It's hard enough dealing with the authorities and new landlord without having tom deal with those supposed speedway supporters undermining it. 

It would be easy to suspect that you actually want it to fail. 

With an attitude like yours its easy to see why people aren't really bothered about the outcome of your efforts… 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Len has given the air fence and track equipment to Iwade. Seems pretty final to me.

Yes i see that. Perhaps an NDL team could run out of Iwade supported by all these new Kent King Fans found

16 minutes ago, Jimsboy said:

Yes i see that. Perhaps an NDL team could run out of Iwade supported by all these new Kent King Fans found

I really enjoyed the Conference league era at Iwade, but it was never well supported.

1 hour ago, Jimsboy said:

Where did you see that please?

If one of the other reasons for LS deciding enough is enough is being fined for not completing by 31/10 then this is a disgrace when both Poole and Glasgow are allowed to race on into November. 

25 minutes ago, Old Crusader said:

Where did you see that please?

On oddshot speedway and grass track.

Iwade speedway thanking Kent kings for their airfence

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jimsboy said:

On oddshot speedway and grass track.

Iwade speedway thanking Kent kings for their airfence

And air fences are supposed to cost tens of thousands of pounds... I'd get that on eBay tout suite

15 hours ago, cityrebel said:

The end of speedway in the South East is almost complete. Lakeside, Rye House, Eastbourne & Kent potentially disappearing within four years is beyond belief. Add this to the IOW dropping out of the league, will almost finish me with the sport. 2022 will mean amateur meetings, grasstrack and the odd trip. A far cry from the 1970's, when it was speedway every night of the week in my neck of the woods.

Totally agree.

After years of going to Arena Essex/Lakeside and then Kings.....this latest news has finished me with the sport.

When I think of all the teams that have gone over a number of years....I see NO future in British League Speedway!!!!! :(:angry::nono:

• Sad 1