British Speedway Forum
andys

NEWCASTLE DIAMONDS 2022

33 minutes ago, Redtruck said:

Won’t he come over on a 4/5 assessed like most Aussies and kiwis?

Rob made reference to him having British family connections, which if true could therefore mean he comes in on a 2.00. Think the same happened with Connor Bailey the other season at Glasgow?

3 minutes ago, Diamond geezer said:

Rob made reference to him having British family connections, which if true could therefore mean he comes in on a 2.00. Think the same happened with Connor Bailey the other season at Glasgow?

Yeah Connor has a British parent I believe and the family have emigrated back to the UK. Think he'll have to get a British licence though. Many examples of it, nick Morris, Rob branford, Matty wethers, Christian Henry

My reading of the rules is that if he is eligible for the NDL (UK passport and ACU licence) it will be 2.

If he hasn't got those, and he hasn't ridden in a professional league, it will be 4.

But it's speedway, so who knows?

Edited by Yearbyred
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

Didn't Bradley say he wouldn't ride for Newcastle and had a few negative words to say about the track and club in general? I am truly sorry if that wasn't Bradley, but I seem to recall this from last year when we were in desperate need of a new number 1... Either way... If Bradley and Archie do sign, it leaves about 7.97 for the final rider if the 42.00 limit is correct...

1. Bradley Wilson Dean 8.75

2. Max Clegg 5.27

3. Paul Starke 6.47

4. Matthew Wethers 6.47

5. 7.97 remaining (using unofficial averages so just an approximation)

6. James Wright 5.07

7. Archie Freeman 2.00

Who's likely to be our final signing on that average? Richie I hope... We still need a true number 1

Ryan Douglas, Kyle Howarth and Lewis Kerr are the only other decent riders available under that average, assuming we're building right up to the limit... I'd still love to see Rene Bach but he's already signed in Poland and presumably will be in Denmark too...

Interesting.

That team without Archie is 32.03 so that leaves 9.97, if we are working to 42 limit. Add on the young Kiwi at either 4 or 2 that leaves a good chunk  near 6 or 8 for the last rider. Given  Robs admission that last year's shortfall in the teams points total would not be repeated, and we would be challenging for the top position, and the last one in would be just within the limit,  who thinks that will not occur and someone else's youngster will make up the team. Is everyone happy with that team then.

45 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Interesting.

That team without Archie is 32.03 so that leaves 9.97, if we are working to 42 limit. Add on the young Kiwi at either 4 or 2 that leaves a good chunk  near 6 or 8 for the last rider. Given  Robs admission that last year's shortfall in the teams points total would not be repeated, and we would be challenging for the top position, and the last one in would be just within the limit,  who thinks that will not occur and someone else's youngster will make up the team. Is everyone happy with that team then.

I’m happy just to have a team to be honest 

• Like 5

As per the last few seasons we will need to build a lead as likely to lose out in 13 and 15. Should be exciting to watch though, which is always my criteria.

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

Interesting.

I have no issue with any of the lads signed and I’m sure they will bring a entertaining product to the Brough Park track in 2022. However, a lot depends on the last signing and how much we have to play with for that rider.

If our new young KIWI does indeed have the relevant credentials to qualify for a 2pt average then that leaves us with a good chunk of the points limit left to bring in another top line rider to support Bradley at the top of the team. But, if he is indeed saddled with a 4pt average and we have less than 6pts to play with for our last rider then again we are woefully light of top end power.

I have faith in BWD to provide some good strength up top and I can certainly see Paul Starke upping his starting average but as with last season we will struggle in the big heats at the end of matches without another accomplished points scorer at this level. The team may provide some good form at Brough but I don’t see us being competitive enough away from home and we may also struggle against sides who turn up at Brough with a strong heat leader duo or trio.

I will reserve judgement for now but in my view a 7pt man added to the side makes us a decent team. However, if we only have 5.98 left then the team really lacks top end power and will struggle to compete with the stronger sides in the league.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

For my tuppence worth if we look at the crowds at the end of season playoff finals in both leagues they were really good and that’s what a good winning team brings you,weak teams, loosing teams generally equates to lower crowds this happens in all sports not just speedway, I’ll reserve judgment until the last rider is signed but at the moment it is looking average , I hope I’m wrong but it doesn’t look like a team that will increase their averages greatly 

• Like 2

The team is what it is. There seems to be a lot of negativity already which in my opinion is astonishing considering what nearly happened.

Signing riders at Newcastle has never been easy with us being a Sunday track. However add Brexit into the mix along with Poland dictating things and I presume it got a whole lot harder.

Maybe the Worralls,Howarths etc we’re approached and either turned us down or politely told us they were going elsewhere.

Maybe Some of them told us they’d ride for us but can’t as hoping to race in Poland.

Nobody knows apart from the Promotion.

At the end of the day nobody gave Peterborough a hope in hell last year and looked what happened. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, MrP said:

The team is what it is. There seems to be a lot of negativity already which in my opinion is astonishing considering what nearly happened.

Signing riders at Newcastle has never been easy with us being a Sunday track. However add Brexit into the mix along with Poland dictating things and I presume it got a whole lot harder.

Maybe the Worralls,Howarths etc we’re approached and either turned us down or politely told us they were going elsewhere.

Maybe Some of them told us they’d ride for us but can’t as hoping to race in Poland.

At the end of the day nobody gave Peterborough a hope in hell last year and looked what happened. 

3 minutes ago, MrP said:

Who do think you are kidding Mr hitler

5 minutes ago, Justgotmecpc said:

Who do think you are kidding Mr hitler

Are you already seeing double? ;)