British Speedway Forum
andys

NEWCASTLE DIAMONDS 2022

15 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I don't think that would've been the case, it was well documented that there was a lack of riders due to Covid / Brexit / Polish rules. 

The main difference was the RS rule gave Danyon Hume a Champ spot (deservedly) & allowed for stronger guests at reserve (e.g Leon Flint replacing weaker riders)!

What is defined as a rising star .. You are always going to get problems… if the rule had of been around in the 70’s and 80’s Kenny Carter would of been a rising star, Michael Lee would of been a rising star, Gary Havelock would of been a rising star the list could go on, so there will always be riders at reserve who are better than others at a young age which would sh@ft the ruling to keep reserves equal 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Diamondboy said:

There are times when saying nothing is best......

Think it tells a lot about how the Club is being run.

• Like 5

There's plenty of young British riders out there with potential to be really good riders in the future, including Archie. The trouble is that the Championship is full of riders who should only ride at a higher level but now maximise their income by also riding at Championship level. I know these guys aren't SGP standard by any means but some of them are next level down, Masters etc. 

These guys are established and by having these two income streams and potentially some continental racing as well they have a massive advantage, in terms of being able to invest in better equipment, than these young kids trying to progress.  No reflection on Archies ability but it's too difficult to compete in a league where the majority are on much bigger budgets. It's bad enough for someone like Max Clegg or Matty Wethers trying to compete with only one team place as opposed to everyone else's two.

There needs to be a level which will allow these lads to gain track time (not just three rides) and progress against more experienced riders as well as other young riders. Unless there's an influx of teams into the National League (hopefully all six Premiership teams will have one) then I'm not sure where any talented kids get a ride?

With potentially only nine teams in the Championship they could easily have retained the rising star scheme if they'd wanted. Atkins, Edwards, Lawlor, Parkinson-Blackburn, Ablitt, Freeman, Gilkes, Hagon, McGurk(s),  Mulford, Spencer and Spooner would all benefit from riding against more experienced riders. But how would they fare against riders like Chris Harris with his 400 years experience and earning x times more than them. Had the  Rising Star system been retained, to make the teams level you really need to also restrict teams to only one rider over 8.00 and no one would vote for that even if it makes financial sense for some of the struggling teams.

On that basis they have to retain all the double upper/downers there is really no point of retaining the rising star scheme. I just hope there is some alternative option for these young kids to get track time and progress so they can progress to the next level.

I'm sure Archie's time will come again but based on the youtube footage of Geordie Congreve (who is 4 years his senior) he would look to be the better bet in 2022.  Presumably he comes in on a British licence as the Diamonds aren't able to access work permit riders. If that means just under 8.00 for the last rider Richie Worrall would make the Diamonds competitive especially with Wright at reserve.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, enotian said:

There's plenty of young British riders out there with potential to be really good riders in the future, including Archie. The trouble is that the Championship is full of riders who should only ride at a higher level but now maximise their income by also riding at Championship level. I know these guys aren't SGP standard by any means but some of them are next level down, Masters etc. 

These guys are established and by having these two income streams and potentially some continental racing as well they have a massive advantage, in terms of being able to invest in better equipment, than these young kids trying to progress.  No reflection on Archies ability but it's too difficult to compete in a league where the majority are on much bigger budgets. It's bad enough for someone like Max Clegg or Matty Wethers trying to compete with only one team place as opposed to everyone else's two.

There needs to be a level which will allow these lads to gain track time (not just three rides) and progress against more experienced riders as well as other young riders. Unless there's an influx of teams into the National League (hopefully all six Premiership teams will have one) then I'm not sure where any talented kids get a ride?

With potentially only nine teams in the Championship they could easily have retained the rising star scheme if they'd wanted. Atkins, Edwards, Lawlor, Parkinson-Blackburn, Ablitt, Freeman, Gilkes, Hagon, McGurk(s),  Mulford, Spencer and Spooner would all benefit from riding against more experienced riders. But how would they fare against riders like Chris Harris with his 400 years experience and earning x times more than them. Had the  Rising Star system been retained, to make the teams level you really need to also restrict teams to only one rider over 8.00 and no one would vote for that even if it makes financial sense for some of the struggling teams.

On that basis they have to retain all the double upper/downers there is really no point of retaining the rising star scheme. I just hope there is some alternative option for these young kids to get track time and progress so they can progress to the next level.

I'm sure Archie's time will come again but based on the youtube footage of Geordie Congreve (who is 4 years his senior) he would look to be the better bet in 2022.  Presumably he comes in on a British licence as the Diamonds aren't able to access work permit riders. If that means just under 8.00 for the last rider Richie Worrall would make the Diamonds competitive especially with Wright at reserve.

Don’t think Richie Worrall will be at Newcastle.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, enotian said:

Spot on Enotion. There's a video on Youtube entitled ‘why speedway is failing’ by a young rider that provides an explanation to back up your comments.  

Edited by Brough Diamond

I'm glad George Congreve has been given an opportunity but I think he will need a lot of support to achieve a 4 point average.

I've watched him develop in Christchurch over the last few years and I think he is short of Championship standard. Sure he is 3 time NZ u21 champion but that is a bit of a smokescreen as to his ability given the standard of the opposition.

I wish him all the best and I hope he proves me wrong. Hopefully BWD will be able to help him out. 

• Like 5

How did the getogether go last night. Any announcement as to the last rider.

Good to see BWD's return making the national sports pages today!

I have no issues with the team to date. Depending on the young New Zealander 's average if the final rider were Kyle Newman or Richie Worrall I think we would win most home meetings and that's what principally counts.

When (a while ago now) most years we had a team that was competitive, young overseas riders were given extended runs in the team and noone complained much. I have a great deal of sympathy with Archie Freeman, his parents and sponsors (and @Tsunami who I know has put a lot of time and effort in) but ultimately - as was made very clear to all supporters last season - this is a business.  I have never run a speedway club and have not seen the break-even figures for Newcastle but from experience in running other businesses the first consideration when times are tough has to be to keep the ship afloat and that can mean taking hard decisions. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Tsunami said:

How did the getogether go last night. Any announcement as to the last rider.

As one of Newcastle speedways longest going supporters, I’m surprised you weren’t there! 

3 minutes ago, Bandits4eva said:

As one of Newcastle speedways longest going supporters, I’m surprised you weren’t there! 

probably on another one of his cruises :D

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Bandits4eva said:

Best not to go there. :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

Best not to go there. :D

I’ve an idea :lol: