British Speedway Forum
andys

NEWCASTLE DIAMONDS 2022

Newcastle Speedway is looking for a new Press Officer.

Ideally, this would be someone already a supporter of Newcastle Diamonds and who would be willing to meet the deadlines set for us by the local press.

We must point out this is a voluntary role and help will be given on all aspects of the post to make the transition as easy as possible.

If you would like more information on this role, please contact info@newcastle-speedway.co.uk.

On 5/19/2022 at 4:34 PM, StevePark said:

Ideally, this would be someone already a supporter of Newcastle Diamonds and who would be willing to meet the deadlines set for us by the local press.

We must point out this is a voluntary role and help will be given on all aspects of the post to make the transition as easy as possible.

If you would like more information on this role, please contact info@newcastle-speedway.co.uk.

This is a start but the club also need to sort out it’s communications strategy with the fans on a match night. Hopefully whoever takes the job is empowered to communicate with the fans wider than the press role but given the role advertised I would expect not.

There is a gap in the way the club communicates with its fans through media outlets but that’s just a start, I would have been far more satisfied with a communications officer role being on offer but at least it’s a start.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, StevePark said:

Have you been sacked?

9 minutes ago, Diamondboy said:

Have you been sacked?

I have never been Newcastle Speedway Press Officer, so no.  And to make it clear, the current Press Officer has decided to step down (and not been sacked, before anyone suggests it).

Edited by StevePark

6 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I can believe Newcastle are struggling to find a new number one (not needed in my view, as long as they're allowed guests) but find it hard to believe they can't get anyone stronger than Congreve, no offence meant to the lad, but he's clearly the weakest rider in the league & the obvious one to replace!

I don't think it would be a wise idea to replace BWD or Congreve, I'm almost certain that neither would have traveled 12,000 miles from NZ without a substantial financal input from Newcastle speedway. I'd say Mr Grant would be keen to see his investment show some return in the not to distant future.

All the time BWD is on his starting average he's an asset for a "Horses for courses" guest facility whilst he's still on sick note duties

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, StevePark said:

I have never been Newcastle Speedway Press Officer, so no.  And to make it clear, the current Press Officer has decided to step down (and not been sacked, before anyone suggests it).

What does a 'press officer' do?

1 minute ago, ruffdiamond said:

Does the previews and match reports and any other stuff (signings etc) relevant to the club, mainly for The Journal.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Should be doing stuff that StevePark does....

49 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Well hopefully they will get someone who actually knows how to communicate with folks.

7 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I can believe Newcastle are struggling to find a new number one (not needed in my view, as long as they're allowed guests) but find it hard to believe they can't get anyone stronger than Congreve, no offence meant to the lad, but he's clearly the weakest rider in the league & the obvious one to replace!

you're not wrong but how much more money would a replacement ask for compared to Congreve? 

It's not just a rubbish team because of a lack of riders. It's 3 points under the limit for a reason.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Diamondboy said:

Well hopefully they will get someone who actually knows how to communicate with folks.

29 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

I'd have thought it would have been worthwhile  for the Promotion to have employed a professional with contacts and knowledge of how the media works in order to get the profile of the team out there.

Whole ways for the limited cash to go are numerous surely 'promotion' of the product is important if more folk are needed through the doors?

Look at the teams that are doing well and have increased their income and I'm sure you'll find they all have employed press and/or commercial managers.

But it's the old chicken and egg syndrome, if your struggling you can't/won't pay anybody for help, but if you do and it does not work you loose even more money, speedway is a hard market to do well, and has an older fan base, so going forward got to try and attract younger fans, who may see a good show on TV GP meetings, but then to see speedway at brough park, scunny etc on a cool evening takes a hell of a lot of selling, they are gonna need more than just 15 heats of speedway over 90 minutes.

One thing I suggested to various comets promotion's but did not get taken up, is try to get a local singer/group who has a following, get them to put a few songs on, people may come to watch them, then enjoy the speedway, or the singer/group may get further booking from someone in the crowd for a party etc, then it's Wni win, more people come to speedway, singer/group get a booking.

I know it's not easy but if nothing is tried crowds gets lower speedway folds.

• Like 3

I see a couple of ex Newcastle riders are in the wars, had a video flash up on my phone of a crash involved Rene Bach/Nicki Pedersen from 18th May, think Bach has a broken Femur and Pedersen has broken Ribs and a punctuated Lung according to early reports:(