British Speedway Forum
andys

NEWCASTLE DIAMONDS 2022

34 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Thing is tho,,, what more could the promotion do with regards communications?

It's not likely to be mentioned on 'Look North' every night, or be front page of the Chronicle every day. I don't do Facebook or Twitter, but still manage to find out, (thru my limited technology capabilities), via the internet. Would you like a letter in the post or them to come round and knock on your door to tell you?,,, If you embrace the technology, you might find out quicker!

As for starting on time, well usually it's not too bad and, for always taking 2+ hours to run very debatable, unless from accidents etc. I have been attending the speedway at Brough regularly for the last 12 seasons and find the last 2 have been run pretty punctually IMO. :t:

3 minutes ago, idanthyrsus said:

I completely disagree with this statement.  I started watching Speedway in 1991 at Brough Park.  The promoters at the time were proper penny pinchers, up to the point we were siphoning diesel out of the dogs tractors into the speedway tractors on a sunday morning....

George came along and with help re-instated Newcastle Speedway.  The administration under George has it's detractors, but there was always a competative team put on track.  There was normally a very good rider (if not several), so even if the team didn't do particularly well, we would win the vast majority of our home matches and even if finishing mid-table there was some top class riders to look forward to watching.  Think of the following: Mark Thorpe, Dave Bargh, Paul Thorp, Nikki Pederson, Kenny Larsen, Paul Bentley, Jesper Olsen, Bjarne Pederson and then more recently, Richie and Steve Worrall, Rob Lambert and probably many more I've missed.

As Rob has consistently assembled a very poor team, I think that people have voted with their feet.  Losing by more than 30 points to Redcar was unforgiveable and should never happen again.  For a team to be that poor at home beggars belief.

I can't get to home matches anymore because I no longer live in Newcastle, but I make every effort to get to away matches that are close to me.  But it takes a lot of effort to travel 120 miles to watch your team not even be competative and get smashed every match.

This is why the crowds are down.  Nothing to do with communication.  Remember, back when the previous promotion was putting together strong teams, there was no social media.  The only reall method of communication was via the match program.

The current administration have a lot of opportunities to improve.  Of course, it's more difficult now with the amount of riders that are available, but doing business early is key in this regard.  Hopefully lessons can be learned.

I respect your opinion but don’t totally agree. I have watched some terrible sides in the late 80s and early ninety’s and again under the old promotion but the key was that George, Darryl, Dave ect used to use their voices to control the messages going out. 

I have been going to Newcastle since the late 70s and have worked for the club for a lot of years in George’s era. A bad team isn’t the only reason why people have walked. I know of at least 30-40 people who have stuck by Newcastle for years, even through those terrible years and who now watch their speedway elsewhere on a weekly basis.

As I say you are entitled to your own opinion and I totally respect that but I have spoken to a lot of supporter at Brough when issues have arisen (Berwick protest and the Glasgow match are just two) and the absolute silence has angered people. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Viper said:

I respect your opinion but don’t totally agree. I have watched some terrible sides in the late 80s and early ninety’s and again under the old promotion but the key was that George, Darryl, Dave ect used to use their voices to control the messages going out. 

I have been going to Newcastle since the late 70s and have worked for the club for a lot of years in George’s era. A bad team isn’t the only reason why people have walked. I know of at least 30-40 people who have stuck by Newcastle for years, even through those terrible years and who now watch their speedway elsewhere on a weekly basis.

As I say you are entitled to your own opinion and I totally respect that but I have spoken to a lot of supporter at Brough when issues have arisen (Berwick protest and the Glasgow match are just two) and the absolute silence has angered people. 

Thanks for that.  I think you raise some valid points in the post above.  Obviously there is no one point that causes people to walk out.

A poor team is the first one though - with a good team would the communication matter?

It's impossible to control communication in the modern age.  So, it's a different world than it was back up until about 2015 I think.  BUT even when Newcastle had a poor team, we normally had a good number 1 - I think that's one of the points I'm trying to make :)

I take the point that in the modern world, zero communication is absolutely unforgiveable.

Obviously I don't get to Brough any more, so it's worrying that the die hards are walking out :(

• Like 1

I think the top and bottom of it is that fans won’t watch poor teams, there have been and there still are chances to improve the team but for some reason it never gets done I for one won’t be back until we have a better team as I now have other things I do on a Sunday and it will take me something special/ different to get me back

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StevePark said:

Taken off Facebook:

Newcastle Speedway would like to clarify the current situation with regards to Bradley Wilson-Dean.
Bradley is currently injured with an aggravated shoulder injury and has a sick note to cover this. At no point has Bradley been banned for withholding his services.

Sick notes are two a penny in speedway, should be called a note of convenience.

8 minutes ago, robbieblackadder fan club said:

I think the top and bottom of it is that fans won’t watch poor teams, there have been and there still are chances to improve the team but for some reason it never gets done I for one won’t be back until we have a better team as I now have other things I do on a Sunday and it will take me something special/ different to get me back

Getting to the heart of the matter, around 90% of fans are red and blue supporters.  If you don't win at home, then they are going to lose interest and not come back.  If you have a big number one who is exciting to watch, that can mitigate a poor team.

For the last few years, Newcastle have had a poor team with a poor number 1.  Hence the drop in crowds is depressingly predictable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruffdiamond said:

Well first off getting someone who can communicate would be good for a start... someone who isn't illiterate and can string a sentence together without using three fluffs and a chuff... someone who has a rudimentary knowledge of English... in the written word...

Then tell the truth... you know? Have someone tell it how it is from the club's side... even if the truth is brutal get it out there and quash all these rumours once and for all...

All the shenanigans and machinations that rumble on in the background just damage the club... what's the truth? Set the record straight? Unless there is something to hide because it does work both ways...

Regards 

THJ 

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Well first off getting someone who can communicate would be good for a start... someone who isn't illiterate and can string a sentence together without using three fluffs and a chuff... someone who has a rudimentary knowledge of English... in the written word...

Then tell the truth... you know? Have someone tell it how it is from the club's side... even if the truth is brutal get it out there and quash all these rumours once and for all...

All the shenanigans and machinations that rumble on in the background just damage the club... what's the truth? Set the record straight? Unless there is something to hide because it does work both ways...

Well... I completely agree with the statements made above.

However.... Aren't you the person who deals in rumours, whispers and insinuation as a normal method of communication :)  Nearly Honest John ;)

• Like 3

Can I just say a big thank you to the people who liked my post and it showed that there are other people who agree with

my thoughts.

I would like to add that when I did follow the sport, I went to all the matches home and away and this involved a lot of expense

and particularly taking time off work using my holiday entitlement going to the away fixtures.

I've noticed over the last few years the the number of fixture now cancelled due to the weather and yes we did have them in the

past but not to the same extent as now.

I remember going to the old Weymouth Track and the meeting started in the dry but continued despite it pouring with rain,

Newcastle no doubt didn't want to have it postponed and everybody having to make the trip all over again

Edited by scampispeedway

1 minute ago, idanthyrsus said:

Well... I completely agree with the statements made above.

However.... Aren't you the person who deals in rumours, whispers and insinuation as a normal method of communication :)  Nearly Honest John ;)

No John everything I put out for Newcastle Diamonds in the past came from the Promotion which was the same at Workington and still is for that matter...

Steve Park has been accused of being a mouthpiece for the club but Steve is the same he only deals in facts and puts out what the club are posting on other forums to keep fans informed as to what is going on at the club...

Whatever I stick on here you can take to the bank because all I gave was the Promotions response to rumour and innuendo... usually from chancers like your good self who if they didn't know what was going on they were more than happy to make something up

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ruffdiamond said:

It's not likely to be mentioned on 'Look North' every night, or be front page of the Chronicle every day. I don't do Facebook or Twitter, but still manage to find out, (thru my limited technology capabilities), via the internet. Would you like a letter in the post or them to come round and knock on your door to tell you?,,, If you embrace the technology, you might find out quicker!

As for starting on time, well usually it's not too bad and, for always taking 2+ hours to run very debatable, unless from accidents etc. I have been attending the speedway at Brough regularly for the last 12 seasons and find the last 2 have been run pretty punctually IMO. :t:

The thing is the stuff put out on social media is dreadful. In a city with so much going on - entertainment-wise - then you need to grab your audience.

How can you legitimately take a screenshot of a mobile phone and use that to advertise your event?

I've said it before on here that I'm no expert but I'm willing to spare time and effort to knock up a couple of graphics that the club can use. Anything has to be a start.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

No John everything I put out for Newcastle Diamonds in the past came from the Promotion which was the same at Workington and still is for that matter...

Steve Park has been accused of being a mouthpiece for the club but Steve is the same he only deals in facts and puts out what the club are posting on other forums to keep fans informed as to what is going on at the club...

Whatever I stick on here you can take to the bank because all I gave was the Promotions response to rumour and innuendo... usually from chancers like your good self who if they didn't know what was going on they were more than happy to make something up

Regards 

THJ 

Whoa feller.  I think Steve Park should be the mouthpiece for the club, because he always posts factual information.  He normally does it quickly and in a concise and friendly manner.

BTW, if you read this Steve - I will collect my £20 for the job endorsement in due course.

But, you did often sat things along the lines of "I know what's about to happen but I can't tell you".  Which with better comms from the "official" channels, wouldn't be necessary.

And by the way, I have never made anything up or put anything on this forum that hasn't related to an actual past event, so you may be mistaking me for somebody else.

Edited by idanthyrsus

4 minutes ago, idanthyrsus said:

Whoa feller.  I think Steve Park should be the mouthpiece for the club, because he always posts factual information.  He normally does it quickly and in a concise and friendly manner.

BTW, if you read this Steve - I will collect my £20 for the job endorsement in due course.

I maybe shouldn't say this on here, but I've already turned down the offer of becoming Press Officer.

Edited by StevePark
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, StevePark said:

I maybe shouldn't say this on here, but I've already turned down the offer of becoming Press Officer.

Why?  It's what you do anyway, so presumably you could get some cash (I'm assuming it's not for free!) for doing what you do naturally?

I can't think of a better candidate for the position.  Who do I need to hire to press gang Steve into that role :)

Just now, idanthyrsus said:

Why?  It's what you do anyway, so presumably you could get some cash (I'm assuming it's not for free!) for doing what you do naturally?

I can't think of a better candidate for the position.  Who do I need to hire to press gang Steve into that role :)

No payment involved it would be voluntary.

I recently became Pits Marshal at Brough and wouldn't be able to make notes during the meeting properly and once we've tidied the pits up it's often after 7pm when I get home, meaning, even if I made notes, it would be a rush to meet The Journal deadline and that's when mistakes are made and I wouldn't want that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StevePark said:

No payment involved it would be voluntary.

I recently became Pits Marshal at Brough and wouldn't be able to make notes during the meeting properly and once we've tidied the pits up it's often after 7pm when I get home, meaning, even if I made notes, it would be a rush to meet The Journal deadline and that's when mistakes are made and I wouldn't want that.

Take my advice.  Ditch the Pits Marshal job and take the comms office role :)

• Haha 1