British Speedway Forum
andys

NEWCASTLE DIAMONDS 2022

59 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Council wouldn't let him put fairground rides on, is what I heard.  Maybe the Stadium owners knocked back the idea of a band, as it would have prob had to be set up on the Greyhound track(?).

Thanks 

5 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Riders dont help wearing helmets on parade,not coming round on a victory lap,and why oh why do we need to refuel after a false start.

Wearing a helmet on parade is down to H&S.

If you watch carefully after a false start riders return to the pit gates not so much for refueling but more so for their mechanics to bring out the fans to cool the clutch.

I'd suggest many riders don't do a lap of honour these days because it's another lap of expense and wear and tear on the machinery.

In theory another lap adds 20% to the race 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StevePark said:

Knudsen rides in Poland with Unia Leszno, who often ride on Sunday's.  

2 hours ago, arnieg said:

He rides in under 24 league which is mid-week. Has yet to appear for Unia Leszno. And Kenyan Rew looks to be their first choice replacement.

So not a problem.

Beat me too it

Its an easy excuse to use when a rider is attached to a Polish side but in reality it isn’t a total blocker to signing them.

After all if it was how did we sign BWD given he has a Polish contract.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

If you watch carefully after a false start riders return to the pit gates not so much for refueling but more so for their mechanics to bring out the fans to cool the clutch.

I'd suggest many riders don't do a lap of honour these days because it's another lap of expense and wear and tear on the machinery.

In theory another lap adds 20% to the race 

I think helmet wearing depends upon the referee and the track as well.  At Foxhall they come around on the stock car track without helmets, which is outside the speedway track so this cannot be H&S because the risk is the same, whether on or outside the actual racing surface.  More likely 'one of those rules' which frustrates fans and makes no sense.  Riding around for a lap of honour adds negligible wear and tear as the engine is only at very low revs.  

I also agree with the original poster about heading back to the tapes after a restart - KT mentions this a lot in commentary, there is no real need for them to stop.  Some riders do a practice start before they pull up to the tapes the first time and another start with time in between again makes little difference.  I think it's more to get set mentally or to go through the same routine as for the original start - very frustrating as a fan when you have delays like that.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Bandits4eva said:

Ask yourself why they wouldn’t go there! 

It must be bad if their choosing Berwick over Newcastle. Really bad. 

20 minutes ago, Pinny said:

It must be bad if their choosing Berwick over Newcastle. Really bad. 

Years ago you could say that… but quite the opposite now! 

6 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Just like that the Bandits make a couple of changes and so riders become available... next thing you know Aaron Summers will be making a comeback?

Regards 

THJ

Indeed :D but not where you would expect

13 minutes ago, wtf said:

Indeed :D but not where you would expect

Summers to Oxford!

Local, Experienced and no Polish blockers but still no chance of him coming to Newcastle despite us being desperate for a change and Jack Thomas only getting injured last week!

Oxford have found an experienced heat leader in 7 days and Berwick have found a SGP2 calibre rider and had the visa approved.

Where are we looking?

Edited by Viper
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Newcastle is a track where Summers could fill his boots every home fixture as he has shown in the past wearing Redcar or Glasgow colours, or indeed guesting for us.

Wonder why he should choose Oxford assuming Newcastle did try to sign him? They did didn't they?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Viper said:

Summers to Oxford!

Local, Experienced and no Polish blockers but still no chance of him coming to Newcastle despite us being desperate for a change and Jack Thomas only getting injured last week!

Oxford have found an experienced heat leader in 7 days and Berwick have found a SGP2 calibre rider and had the visa approved.

Where are we looking?

Looking in the same place as Birmingham.. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, cinderfella said:

I believe the rule is, you don't have to wear a helmet on parade, providing you do not do practice starts.  If you do practice starts you have to wear a helmet.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Aceslider said:

Newcastle is a track where Summers could fill his boots every home fixture as he has shown in the past wearing Redcar or Glasgow colours, or indeed guesting for us.

Wonder why he should choose Oxford assuming Newcastle did try to sign him? They did didn't they?

Rumours that Newcastle tried to sign Summers a bit ago. Can only put it down to he wasn't happy with what we were offering because he goes well around Newcastle and much less travelling to home meetings as i assume he still lives in Wooler.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, StevePark said:

I believe the rule is, you don't have to wear a helmet on parade, providing you do not do practice starts.  If you do practice starts you have to wear a helmet.

Spot on...

Hence at the NSS both teams come out for the parade without helmets.. 

But if they want to practise starts after the introductions then they have to put helmets on that they have taken with them..

Makes sense and a good compromise, and gives a chance for fans to see the riders...

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Aceslider said:

The Courtney promotion connection between Berwick and Oxford most probably.

• Like 2