Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
andys

NEWCASTLE DIAMONDS 2022

2 hours ago, cinderfella said:

Think Diamonds fans are looking for something that isn't there with Paul.

He is genuinely out injured as he isn't riding for Ipswich either so he isn't earning

Easy to forget he suffered two badly broken wrists just two seasons ago which have obviously been weakened.

I'm not looking for anything, if it's genuine it's genuine... But he just seems to have been missing a hell of a lot this year, must just be unfortunate for him. I don't believe Paul is the type of rider to 'skyve' but you never know. Best wishes go to him.

59 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I seen some of interviews when I got home, he never said that from what I remember.

He said a rider they had been trying to get had just became available so would be looking into that. 
It could all boil down to finances offered etc, but fingers crossed.

Just come available. Wonder if it's Kyle Bickley :rofl: Knowing the way the promotion have gone so far, they probably going after Jack Thomas not realising he's been release because he's got two broken wrists!!

2 hours ago, Viper said:

The club need a public face, someone who can engage in all aspect of the club. As I have said before, the club lacks leaders and unless this is rectified very quickly I can sadly only see one outcome.

We have just been thrashed at home for the second consecutive meeting and we still have had no comment from the promotion. This isn’t just a speedway thing, it’s key to any successful business that you keep you customers on side. The silence just adds to the frustration of the fans and will only add to the huge gulf that is being forged between the promotion and the fan base.

Sadly, I can only see the current status quo for the remainder of the season.

Ya not wrong on a Public Face but lets be fair Granty definitely has a face for Radio...

The thing is how long will the other clubs put up with this; two home thrashings for the Diamonds but the away teams will be paying out 6 to 7 grand with no opportunity to recover any of that; the riders will be laughing their socks off with an easy pay day but the away clubs must be feeling the pinch for sure...

I wouldn't be surprised if there has not been the conversation with the BSPL and Granty to actually pull the plug on the season because that was going to be his option last season until the "Go Fund Me" and then the crying match about closing the club; and supporting the double headers; which brought fans back in their droves; however he's used the "Go Fund Me" routine and the "cry wolf ploy" on closure so he has sort of run out of options...

John English Reborn all over again and just like the pictures I think this is the part where most people came in so its not worth seeing the second part of the movie because you know what is going to happen... (and yes you have to be a certain age to appreciate that analogy) 

Sadly, I think you are right and I also can only see the current status quo for the remainder of the season.

Regards
THJ

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Ya not wrong on a Public Face but lets be fair Granty definitely has a face for Radio...

The thing is how long will the other clubs put up with this; two home thrashings for the Diamonds but the away teams will be paying out 6 to 7 grand with no opportunity to recover any of that; the riders will be laughing their socks off with an easy pay day but the away clubs must be feeling the pinch for sure...

I wouldn't be surprised if there has not been the conversation with the BSPL and Granty to actually pull the plug on the season because that was going to be his option last season until the "Go Fund Me" and then the crying match about closing the club; and supporting the double headers; which brought fans back in their droves; however he's used the "Go Fund Me" routine and the "cry wolf ploy" on closure so he has sort of run out of options...

John English Reborn all over again and just like the pictures I think this is the part where most people came in so its not worth seeing the second part of the movie because you know what is going to happen... (and yes you have to be a certain age to appreciate that analogy) 

Sadly, I think you are right and I also can only see the current status quo for the remainder of the season.

Regards
THJ

Now now, I know you two haven't exactly got on, but no need to get personal!! :rofl:

But I see exactly what you're saying with regards the rest of the season, I really don't understand why he bothered coming back if this was all he was going to bother doing this season... He may have been pressured, but if he knew what this year was going to be like this, why bother?

@Viper I have no idea who you are, but have you the skills and the time to maybe volunteer being the 'face' of the club? Have you already tried contact with Granty, or are you not interested in such a role? Genuinely interested.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Regards
THJ

Leicester could've used one of their NL riders instead of Edwards to save money!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Leicester could've used one of their NL riders instead of Edwards to save money!

They could have used one instead of Morris and Worrall and saved a fortune... and still won...

Regards 

THJ

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Regards
THJ

Personally I wouldn't have any sympathy for clubs paying out such sums, plus also getting low crowds when 'cannon fodder' visits....

As it was 'bleeding obvious' from the outset what would happen given the imbalance in the team strengths from top to bottom in Div 2..

Yet. They ploughed on regardless...

The Haves and The Have Nots....

A quite amazing plan of action which has reached its inevitable only conclusion.....

And would have been even worse if some clubs hadn't got No1 riders injured meaning they would have had to run without guests which have often strengthened them...

Must be a better way of running things surely?

With no promotion or relegation, nor any major prize on offer, you would think that the No1 objective would be to ensure that every team, and therefore every meeting, would be competitive wouldn't you?

Allowing such disparate levels of capability ultimately does no business's any good..

And they all need each other....

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 7

9 hours ago, Gaz said:

I seen some of interviews when I got home, he never said that from what I remember.

He said a rider they had been trying to get had just became available so would be looking into that. 
It could all boil down to finances offered etc, but fingers crossed.

I can't really comment as I never seen it 

Edited by Justgotmecpc
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Maybe you can get your “mate” to comment.

Edited by Diamondboy

17 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

Now now, I know you two haven't exactly got on, but no need to get personal!! :rofl:

But I see exactly what you're saying with regards the rest of the season, I really don't understand why he bothered coming back if this was all he was going to bother doing this season... He may have been pressured, but if he knew what this year was going to be like this, why bother?

@Viper I have no idea who you are, but have you the skills and the time to maybe volunteer being the 'face' of the club? Have you already tried contact with Granty, or are you not interested in such a role? Genuinely interested.

I honestly believe that In this case an experienced speedway person would be the best fit, which is not the area of expertise I have to be honest. I do have some experience in the areas that would (in my view) need addressing but given the position of the club I do feel an experienced hand would be the best option for them.

In terms of approaching Rob, I have a few times offered assistance in which ever way I can and have also supplied potential links to another North East sports club to help with increasing the fan base but neither offer has been taken up. I love the club so have always had a willingness to help fight for survival and have volunteered my time in the past for a number of years.

However, like THJ I think that ship has now sailed and I would not be interested in working within the current management structure as my own opinions are so far away from that of the current owner. He has his way and runs the club as he sees fit. It is his club and he has that right to do so and I totally respect that point but it’s not for me.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 4

Wonder if wells tries tonight for the Brummies v Plymouth 

Edited by Justgotmecpc
Error

11 hours ago, Viper said:

I honestly believe that In this case an experienced speedway person would be the best fit, which is not the area of expertise I have to be honest. I do have some experience in the areas that would (in my view) need addressing but given the position of the club I do feel an experienced hand would be the best option for them.

In terms of approaching Rob, I have a few times offered assistance in which ever way I can and have also supplied potential links to another North East sports club to help with increasing the fan base but neither offer has been taken up. I love the club so have always had a willingness to help fight for survival and have volunteered my time in the past for a number of years.

However, like THJ I think that ship has now sailed and I would not be interested in working within the current management structure as my own opinions are so far away from that of the current owner. He has his way and runs the club as he sees fit. It is his club and he has that right to do so and I totally respect that point but it’s not for me.

Fair play... I think you would do a hell of a lot better than what there is currently, (nothing) but I respect the fact that you'd rather not kind of thing. It's shame that Rob is just refusing to work with anyone...

The way this has been ran, there's gonna be like 10 people there next week

18 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

Fair play... I think you would do a hell of a lot better than what there is currently, (nothing) but I respect the fact that you'd rather not kind of thing. It's shame that Rob is just refusing to work with anyone...

The way this has been ran, there's gonna be like 10 people there next week

The situation seems similar to how Newport ended up under the late Tim Stone.