British Speedway Forum
andys

NEWCASTLE DIAMONDS 2022

5 hours ago, Jaizer said:

The riders of sufficient quality aren't available to continue it this season. Most championship clubs already had a RS signed last season prior to the ruling. With flint, kemp, Hume, bailey, the Thompson's, Palin, Jenkins, bowtel all having ridden above the 3.5 average cut off for a 3* there was simply no way of keeping it place in that format. As usual the bspl had no thought of what would happen should these riders perform above expectations.

You'd be looking at a championship where all reserves would only be able to take points off each other as not ready for the step up against established championship riders

And to think there were supposed to be 2 rising stars in each team next season, the BSPA really are as thick as  ...........!! Fancy a game of Blankety Blank?! :rofl:

5 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

The big difference is those young Brits scored points for their teams last year, no offence to Freeman but he was the worst rider in the league! Not blaming him - he was put into the Champ before he had mastered the NDL so couldn't be expected to score points!

Sorry I don't agree with the worst rider ( in the league statement ) the lad was called upon to ride for his local team & he done a good job ok he may not have got the points he deserved but what he did do was when In a scoring position he held the away riders up which allowed his team partner to get a free run for the win.. & I certainly think he could have scored an easy 2 point average at Newcastle if it wasn't for his couple of falls & mechanical engine failures

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Archie turned down the offer to ride for the Diamonds to concentrate on development in the NDL. Someone pulled the Gems out of the NDJ, and fortunately another team had faith in him and he rode for the Edinburgh Devils this year with merit. Other riders were used as the Diamond no 7 and then dispensed with.  At 16 and a year behind the likes of the Thompsons, Palin, Gilkes, he knew he needed that extra year to gain experience at the junior level . Archie was pressed by Newcastle management to help out at No 7 to replace JPB, and was given assurances that he would not be judged on this year, just get experience for next year. Next year has arrived and he has been overlooked. Rob should remember that when he joined the Diamonds we put him straight into the team along with other 3 pointers like Jamie Birkenshaw, Craig Branney and Jamie Robertson. Without those placements who is to say they would have made a career after that.

No training school, no organised second halves,  dropped the Gems whilst at the top of the league and possibly league winners, no junior meetings, and now this. We were told of commitment to local talent and their place at Newcastle, it all just seems like a conflict with every decision made. With the Gems being dropped, three of us were prepared to pay for and run the Gems at our expense for the year, but one was told NO I've made the decision and your sponsorship will be returned.     

1) what need was there to "press" Archie into the team, there must've been at least 20+ riders who could've replaced JPB at number 7?

2) why wouldn't Rob Grant let someone else take over the Gems if they were going to pay for it? Makes no sense!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Justgotmecpc said:

Sorry I don't agree with the worst rider ( in the league statement ) the lad was called upon to ride for his local team & he done a good job ok he may not have got the points he deserved but what he did do was when In a scoring position he held the away riders up which allowed his team partner to get a free run for the win.. & I certainly think he could have scored an easy 2 point average at Newcastle if it wasn't for his couple of falls & mechanical engine failures

Not trying to be nasty, just honest! Freeman had 12 matches, 35 rides & scored only 3 points, each of those was in front of a non-finisher!

I'm guessing he was signed because it would be cheap & the team was already weak! For him free / paid practice (providing his confidence wasn't destroyed)!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

In fairness Alcock was the worst rider in the league, Freeman just got dumped in to replace him as you pointed out far before he was ready. Thers certainly an argument that riders should achieve a certain level in the NDL before they can take up a CL place.

While it's not a bad suggestion for riders to achieve a certain NDL ave before being allowed in the Champ, there's riders like Dan Bewley & Connor Bailey who coped with being thrust into the middle tier to start with!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

1) what need was there to "press" Archie into the team, there must've been at least 20+ riders who could've replaced JPB at number 7?

2) why wouldn't Rob Grant let someone else take over the Gems if they were going to pay for it? Makes no sense!

I'm not the 1 to ask on that & I guess if robs at the function Tonight & you could ask him if your going ya sell 

17 minutes ago, Justgotmecpc said:

I'm not the 1 to ask on that & I guess if robs at the function Tonight & you could ask him if your going ya sell 

Don't forget it's a cashless venue tonight, so don't be rocking up saying yiv forgot ya bank card. :t:

Not that owld chestnut. 

Edited by ruffdiamond

23 minutes ago, Justgotmecpc said:

He was though… its not his fault but quite simply he wasn't ready for the Championship he's not even a second string standard NL rider yet. Now hopefully he goes on and has a great career but it was at best irresponsible of Newcastle to put him into the team last year 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Don't forget it's a cashless venue tonight, so don't be rocking up saying yiv forgot ya bank card. :t:

Not that owld chestnut. 

I've got a carrier bag of Shillings & pennies at your request 

54 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

He was though… its not his fault but quite simply he wasn't ready for the Championship he's not even a second string standard NL rider yet. Now hopefully he goes on and has a great career but it was at best irresponsible of Newcastle to put him into the team last year 

Fair point but rather than say he was ( the worst rider ) in the league was a bit uncalled for ? Why not just say Archie was clearly out his depth but not his fault at the end of the day as he was asked by his home town club to ride for them I'm sure every other lad or lass would jump at the chance whatever sport it maybe to represent their club & after seeing him learn a heck of a lot in the pits off the more experienced riders it will stand him in good stead for next season.. yeah & on the point that he's not a 2nd string NL standard I truly believe that if Archie had a full season without any hiccups he'd have finished his campaign as a 2 or a 4 in the national League & that's not pressuring the lad neither

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NSSG said:

From Rob Grant 

Not that I need to justify my actions but I will point out that at the time of replacing JPB I knew Newcastle was in a financial hole and the Diamonds were having to be subsidised heavily to get the bills paid , hence the dropping of the National League as the crowd figures at the time were shockingly low. I told Steve Pate that things weren’t quite rosy and that I wanted to put Archie in so that if Newcastle collapsed the lad could say he had ridden for his home town club. We knew he wasn’t ready but we had our reasons for letting him do it. Archie could of easily refused to sign but he didn’t and we were pleased to give him the run till the season closed. 

We had 7 meetings left to stage in National League and we weren’t just talking a couple of grand to complete them it would of been a substantial amount. 

Some folk on here saying they offered to keep it going are talking utter garbage as no one approached me at all esp the main man that’s letting his mouth go. All sponsors agreed for the club to retain the sponsorship in order for the main team to survive. With the exception of the main man who’s letting his mouth go, who asked for a full refund, which was given. 

Newcastle are running championship only, you have a team to support, we have a facility to operate out of, we have a good loyal backing, let's just focus on keeping another club active as we don't want to lose any more,

We have seen the issues with Birmingham and Kent and we are in the same bubble.

So for heaven sake just enjoy what you have, while you have it as nothing is guaranteed anymore. 

There are times when saying nothing is best......

Edited by Diamondboy
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, Arson fire said:

Agree with this. Chatting to Rob Lyon several years ago about the structure of British speedway being ar5e over t!t, he was concerned then but they wouldn't listen.

Either use and accommodate them going forward as a rule, or dont…but stop mucking them about. 

I think the RS facility was needed last season so that the riders got a guaranteed team place rather than be used for team building and then dumped when averages change.

I don’t see so many young riders coming through currently and the RS of last season should be nailed on for team places now.

Maybe in a season or two the facility will reappear if the talent comes through. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GWC said:

I think the RS facility was needed last season so that the riders got a guaranteed team place rather than be used for team building and then dumped when averages change.

I don’t see so many young riders coming through currently and the RS of last season should be nailed on for team places now.

Maybe in a season or two the facility will reappear if the talent comes through. 

I don't think that would've been the case, it was well documented that there was a lack of riders due to Covid / Brexit / Polish rules. 

The main difference was the RS rule gave Danyon Hume a Champ spot (deservedly) & allowed for stronger guests at reserve (e.g Leon Flint replacing weaker riders)!