Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
andys

NEWCASTLE DIAMONDS 2022

39 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Hope his gating has improved after 9 years away or he will struggle.Bonus is the 4.00. Average though.He might be able to achieve it.

A little extra weight towards the front end might help the gating?

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Fromafar said:

What Promotion no longer exist.?

Not sure but don't both Sheffield and Berwick have different promoters than they had 10 years ago? So when they bought out the previous promoter they may not have bothered acquiring a seemingly retired rider. Don't know any details but offering that a reason how Complin become a Newcastle asset when he'd clearly been someone else's asset at some point. 

22 hours ago, AndyPresley said:

He’s fat???

I'd say well built.  Looks like he has a fair set on guns on him. Certainly doesn't look obese or unhealthy. Just not the shape of your modern spindly speedway rider. Power to weight ratio disadvantage I'd say. They do say the camera adds lbs so maybe he'll be fine.  Just surprised they mentioned weight loss when he's still carrying too much compared to the others. It's why I never stand next to skinny people.

3 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Hope his gating has improved after 9 years away or he will struggle.Bonus is the 4.00. Average though.He might be able to achieve it.

would be a bonus if it took the team total up to 42.50 or whatever the limit is. As it stands unless others improve he'll have to average c 7.00 to make the Diamonds competitive.   

10 minutes ago, enotian said:

would be a bonus if it took the team total up to 42.50 or whatever the limit is. As it stands unless others improve he'll have to average c 7.00 to make the Diamonds competitive.   

At the height of his career he was only a 7.5 man.That was mainly achieved on his home performances on big fast tracks.That would be my concern.He’s a good lad and I wish him well though.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

A little extra weight towards the front end might help the gating?

I'd have nee probs then lol

Edited by Justgotmecpc
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, enotian said:

I'd say well built.  Looks like he has a fair set on guns on him. Certainly doesn't look obese or unhealthy. Just not the shape of your modern spindly speedway rider. Power to weight ratio disadvantage I'd say. They do say the camera adds lbs so maybe he'll be fine.  Just surprised they mentioned weight loss when he's still carrying too much compared to the others. It's why I never stand next to skinny people.

I remember him being quite small in height, so even if he has bulked up I can’t imagine him being ridiculously heavy

2 hours ago, Justgotmecpc said:

I'd have nee probs then lol

Well,,, a wasn't gonna say nowt. ;)

6 hours ago, AndyPresley said:

I remember him being quite small in height, so even if he has bulked up I can’t imagine him being ridiculously heavy

He is overweight. I read he had been up to18 stones, and he has now got it down to 12 1/2 stones. Still too heavy, look at the Worralls  and their athletic figures through losing weight and Excercise. The days of heavy riders in league teams has gone some time again. 

• Like 1

A little off piste here but it doesn't warrant a new thread and hopefully the knowledgeable Diamonds fans will see this.

Brian Nixon.  Australian lad.  I'm sure he rode/struggled for the Diamonds in the early 90's.  However none of the history sites or literature include any reference to him being a Diamond. His career seems to have started with a handful of matches for Eastbourne in 1990 averaging 5.50. Then in 1991 he appears to have done a full season for Glasgow averaging 4.50. Then nothing.

My recollection was we signed him from Glasgow and sent him back, maybe swapping him for someone like Phil Jeffrey?  Or did we get him from Eastbourne at the start of 1991 and send him to Glasgow before he'd ridden in an official fixture for the Diamonds? My recollection was he was a massive disappointment but I thought he'd done a fair few matches before we eventually got rid. I then have a vague recollection of him turning up for Glasgow and having a half decent meeting but it's all very sketchy. It is like 30 years ago!!!

Can someone at least confirm he was a Diamond at some point or do I need a noggin check?

35 minutes ago, enotian said:

A little off piste here but it doesn't warrant a new thread and hopefully the knowledgeable Diamonds fans will see this.

Brian Nixon.  Australian lad.  I'm sure he rode/struggled for the Diamonds in the early 90's.  However none of the history sites or literature include any reference to him being a Diamond. His career seems to have started with a handful of matches for Eastbourne in 1990 averaging 5.50. Then in 1991 he appears to have done a full season for Glasgow averaging 4.50. Then nothing.

My recollection was we signed him from Glasgow and sent him back, maybe swapping him for someone like Phil Jeffrey?  Or did we get him from Eastbourne at the start of 1991 and send him to Glasgow before he'd ridden in an official fixture for the Diamonds? My recollection was he was a massive disappointment but I thought he'd done a fair few matches before we eventually got rid. I then have a vague recollection of him turning up for Glasgow and having a half decent meeting but it's all very sketchy. It is like 30 years ago!!!

Can someone at least confirm he was a Diamond at some point or do I need a noggin check?

We signed him from Eastbourne after he'd recovered from a broken leg, I seem to remember, but swapped him for Phil Jeffrey, as you say, after he couldn't get his Diamonds career going.  He rode seven matches for us in 1991 averaging 2.53.  When he came back with the Tigers, he managed to beat David Bargh!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StevePark said:

We signed him from Eastbourne after he'd recovered from a broken leg, I seem to remember, but swapped him for Phil Jeffrey, as you say, after he couldn't get his Diamonds career going.  He rode seven matches for us in 1991 averaging 2.53.  When he came back with the Tigers, he managed to beat David Bargh!!

Cheers man.  Much better memory than me. Presuming the 7 matches were friendlies or cup competition. Aye beating Barghie would have gotten me riled back in the day. Mind Phil Jeffrey ended up being a decent Diamond. I was surprised he'd only done three seasons in the black and white. I thought he'd been a stalwart for a number of seasons at number 2. Funny how the mind plays tricks but glad my recollections of Nixon weren't completely gaga.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Fromafar said:

At the height of his career he was only a 7.5 man.That was mainly achieved on his home performances on big fast tracks.That would be my concern.He’s a good lad and I wish him well though.

He retired from Sheffield before he got any where near what he could have achieved

The years away obviously didn't help when he came back and he never did reach his full potential 

Hope he does well, can still remember when he came into the team, 2002 i think, and looked to be going places, and then the early retirement

Edited by The Third Man
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, enotian said:

Cheers man.  Much better memory than me. Presuming the 7 matches were friendlies or cup competition. Aye beating Barghie would have gotten me riled back in the day. Mind Phil Jeffrey ended up being a decent Diamond. I was surprised he'd only done three seasons in the black and white. I thought he'd been a stalwart for a number of seasons at number 2. Funny how the mind plays tricks but glad my recollections of Nixon weren't completely gaga.

8 matches in total:

H vs Peterborough (Challenge) 2 from 3.  H vs Long Eaton (Gold Cup) 2+1 from 3. A vs Middlesbrough (Gold Cup) 0 from 3.  A vs Long Eaton (Gold Cup) 0 from 3.  H vs Hungary (International Challenge) 1 from 3.  A vs Stoke (Gold Cup) 1 from 3.  A vs Glasgow (Gold Cup) 2+2 from 2.  H vs Glasgow 2+1 from 3.

12 minutes ago, StevePark said:

8 matches in total:

H vs Peterborough (Challenge) 2 from 3.  H vs Long Eaton (Gold Cup) 2+1 from 3. A vs Middlesbrough (Gold Cup) 0 from 3.  A vs Long Eaton (Gold Cup) 0 from 3.  H vs Hungary (International Challenge) 1 from 3.  A vs Stoke (Gold Cup) 1 from 3.  A vs Glasgow (Gold Cup) 2+2 from 2.  H vs Glasgow 2+1 from 3.

To be fair I remember him at Eastie in 1990 and looked ok for us but we obviously let him go.