British Speedway Forum
andys

NEWCASTLE DIAMONDS 2022

2 minutes ago, StevePark said:

8 matches in total:

H vs Peterborough (Challenge) 2 from 3.  H vs Long Eaton (Gold Cup) 2+1 from 3. A vs Middlesbrough (Gold Cup) 0 from 3.  A vs Long Eaton (Gold Cup) 0 from 3.  H vs Hungary (International Challenge) 1 from 3.  A vs Stoke (Gold Cup) 1 from 3.  A vs Glasgow (Gold Cup) 2+2 from 2.  H vs Glasgow 2+1 from 3.

Cheers. So it wasn't just at Brough he was struggling. Those Gold Cup matches are official fixtures though surely.

I've no recollection of seeing Hungary? Robert Nagy, Csaba Hell? I remember seeing a Russian team when they had a rider called Chartchenko (I think) who was sensational but that was probably before 1990 when the Soviet Union broke up...   apparently temporarily.  So no chance of signing him. Used to enjoy those international select friendlies. I'm guessing that was when foreign riders were desperate to ride over here

5 minutes ago, enotian said:

Cheers. So it wasn't just at Brough he was struggling. Those Gold Cup matches are official fixtures though surely.

I've no recollection of seeing Hungary? Robert Nagy, Csaba Hell? I remember seeing a Russian team when they had a rider called Chartchenko (I think) who was sensational but that was probably before 1990 when the Soviet Union broke up...   apparently temporarily.  So no chance of signing him. Used to enjoy those international select friendlies. I'm guessing that was when foreign riders were desperate to ride over here

In scoring order: Zoltan Adorjan, Robert Nagy, Csaba Hell, Zoltan Hajdu, Sandor Tihanyi, Robert Csillik, Laszlo Bodi.

Russia were indeed here the year before and again in scoring order: Grigori Kharchenko, Mikhail Starostin, Vladimir Trofimov, Igor Marko, Viktor Gaidym, Nikolai Kornev, Igor Zverev. USSR won 51-45.

That was a fairly stacked Hungary team. Maybe only Kosco missing? Adorjan did World Finals I'm sure.  Him and Tihanyi were often in World Pairs Finals. Don't think Tihanyi or Bodi ever got a UK team spot but the rest did. I mustn't have been there as I still can't recall it.

Some fairly big names in USSR speedway in that team as well. Didn't Marko get close to being World U21 champion at one time. Starostin had done World Finals but I think he was a veteran by the time he turned up a Brough.

2 minutes ago, enotian said:

That was a fairly stacked Hungary team. Maybe only Kosco missing? Adorjan did World Finals I'm sure.  Him and Tihanyi were often in World Pairs Finals. Don't think Tihanyi or Bodi ever got a UK team spot but the rest did. I mustn't have been there as I still can't recall it.

Some fairly big names in USSR speedway in that team as well. Didn't Marko get close to being World U21 champion at one time. Starostin had done World Finals but I think he was a veteran by the time he turned up a Brough.

He was born 24 Feb 1955, so was 35 when he rode at Brough that year.

1 hour ago, The Third Man said:

He retired from Sheffield before he got any where near what he could have achieved

The years away obviously didn't help when he came back and he never did reach his full potential 

Hope he does well, can still remember when he came into the team, 2002 i think, and looked to be going places, and then the early retirement

He couldn’t gate and was basically a big track man plenty of speed,guts and effort,never really mastered small tracks IMO.

7 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

He couldn’t gate and was basically a big track man plenty of speed,guts and effort,never really mastered small tracks IMO.

Scored 15+1 for Berwick in the Tyne Tweed Trophy 2nd leg and 8 in the League match four weeks later at Brough in 2012, the year he quit.

Edited by StevePark

25 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Scored 15+1 for Berwick in the Tyne Tweed Trophy 2nd leg and 8 in the League match four weeks later at Brough in 2012, the year he quit.

Not consistent on small tracks though,that’s why he was  only a 7.5 man,seldom out of double figures at home and on big tracks.

10 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Not consistent on small tracks though,that’s why he was  only a 7.5 man,seldom out of double figures at home and on big tracks.

Rode three seasons for Stoke (NOT a big track): 2007 ave 7.47, 2008 ave 7.95, 2009 ave 7.63. Can't all have been achieved away  on big tracks?

11 hours ago, StevePark said:

Rode three seasons for Stoke (NOT a big track): 2007 ave 7.47, 2008 ave 7.95, 2009 ave 7.63. Can't all have been achieved away  on big tracks?

I give in:D

4 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

I give in:D

Very sensible !!! :P :drink::D

Edited by StevePark
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, StevePark said:

In scoring order: Zoltan Adorjan, Robert Nagy, Csaba Hell, Zoltan Hajdu, Sandor Tihanyi, Robert Csillik, Laszlo Bodi.

Russia were indeed here the year before and again in scoring order: Grigori Kharchenko, Mikhail Starostin, Vladimir Trofimov, Igor Marko, Viktor Gaidym, Nikolai Kornev, Igor Zverev. USSR won 51-45.

I arranged BOTH visits....both teams were great to deal with...one of teh Russian support team was a solid KGB man...the riders hated him

• Like 3

15 hours ago, enotian said:

I may be wrong, but I believe the gold cup matches (whilst yes being official fixtures) were treated like the KOC and play off matches today and were not included in the calculation of the greensheet averages. Hence no official average/ record recorded.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

All looking good for P&P?

Seems so and the good news is Fans are now going to be allowed into the stadium.

Taken off Facebook:

Following discussions with the landlords, the public are allowed into the stadium on press and practice on Sunday 20th March. Doors open at 11am with riders taking to the track at 12. No indoor grandstand facilities are open but the outside terrace will be open and the catering van will be there to purchase food from.

Entry is via the main fire exit gate.

• Thanks 2