British Speedway Forum
andys

NEWCASTLE DIAMONDS 2022

On 3/19/2022 at 6:59 PM, Diamonds85 said:

image.png.3226633d5316e9cea116b791dc4a9f62.png

Not the best start for our 2 Diamonds tonight, hope this isn't a bad omen for the season :(

Tero got 3 points in his last ride to make 9 points after his 5 heats.

Jake got 1 point in his last ride to make 8 points after his 5 heats.

Zaine got 2 points in his last ride to make 8 points after his 5 heats.

20 minutes ago, scunny1 said:

Tero got 3 points in his last ride to make 9 points after his 5 heats.

Jake got 1 point in his last ride to make 8 points after his 5 heats.

Zaine got 2 points in his last ride to make 8 points after his 5 heats.

Yes I think my screenshot was taken before all 20 heats were complete.

Anyone who was at the P&P got anything to share on the riders, who looked good, who looked bad. Is george Congreve and lee Complin ready for the league etc. BWD gonna be good at number 1? Hope James and Paul can improve from their scunthorpe performance, granted it was the first meeting back. Matty at 2 is strange to me but very strong, but is that granty realising that Brad isn't an out and out number 1??? Any info would be interesting to find out :t:

Edited by Diamonds85

35 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

Anyone who was at the P&P got anything to share on the riders, who looked good, who looked bad. Is george Congreve and lee Complin ready for the league etc. BWD gonna be good at number 1? Hope James and Paul can improve from their scunthorpe performance, granted it was the first meeting back. Matty at 2 is strange to me but very strong, but is that granty realising that Brad isn't an out and out number 1??? Any info would be interesting to find out :t:

Fantastic team spirit amongst the riders & mechanics & the only disappointment was cleggy blowing up his 1st bikes engine at the starting gate

25 minutes ago, Justgotmecpc said:

Fantastic team spirit amongst the riders & mechanics & the only disappointment was cleggy blowing up his 1st bikes engine at the starting gate

Sounds promising. Feel for Max though, on the eve of the season as well :sad:

Hopefully George and Lee will be powerhouses at reserve!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Justgotmecpc said:

Fantastic team spirit amongst the riders & mechanics.

That goes a long way, could be the key?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

My 2 pence piece;

I would say Clegg looked quickest even after blowing the bottom out of the engine… Starke very close behind (probably to be expected given they know the place inside out). And Starkey rides Brough so well.

BWD looked decent although not as smooth as Clegg or Starke seemed to be…to my eye seemed to be muscling the corners a bit but I’m sure he’ll get dialed in. Definitely on pace though. 

Weathers and Wright as you’d expect although Wrights brand new swanky kevelars made me keep having to check who it was, used to him in his old school red and black.

As for the 6 & 7, Congreve looked spot on to be honest you can tell he knows what he is doing, looked better and better every time he came out. Obviously it’s different when there’s 3 other riders riding in anger next to you at the same time but think he may surprise a few people… may take a few meetings for him but going off yesterday I have absolutely no concerns…

Complin,,, probably and absolute steal at reserve, absolute control over the bike still, certainly not the quickest (yet) at P&P but you could see him trying different lines and slowly building it back up. You can just tell bike control comes totally natural to him… wouldn’t be surprised if he’s in the main body of the team after the first round of averages get updated. Again I think any concerns people had about him coming back can be put to bed he’s going to be very handy still…

Quietly optimistic we’ll be tough to beat at home this year which is a far cry from last season… Definitely a team everyone can get behind…

Edited by speedy19902006
  • Like 2

Terrific Youtube content from Lee Complin there.

I'm not a fan of social media but it is exactly what the general public are after. There's a good backstory there regardless of whether or not his comeback goes well. Really professionally done and great exposure for sponsors. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, speedy19902006 said:

My 2 pence piece;

I would say Clegg looked quickest even after blowing the bottom out of the engine… Starke very close behind (probably to be expected given they know the place inside out). And Starkey rides Brough so well.

BWD looked decent although not as smooth as Clegg or Starke seemed to be…to my eye seemed to be muscling the corners a bit but I’m sure he’ll get dialed in. Definitely on pace though. 

Weathers and Wright as you’d expect although Wrights brand new swanky kevelars made me keep having to check who it was, used to him in his old school red and black.

As for the 6 & 7, Congreve looked spot on to be honest you can tell he knows what he is doing, looked better and better every time he came out. Obviously it’s different when there’s 3 other riders riding in anger next to you at the same time but think he may surprise a few people… may take a few meetings for him but going off yesterday I have absolutely no concerns…

Complin,,, probably and absolute steal at reserve, absolute control over the bike still, certainly not the quickest (yet) at P&P but you could see him trying different lines and slowly building it back up. You can just tell bike control comes totally natural to him… wouldn’t be surprised if he’s in the main body of the team after the first round of averages get updated. Again I think any concerns people had about him coming back can be put to bed he’s going to be very handy still…

Quietly optimistic we’ll be tough to beat at home this year which is a far cry from last season… Definitely a team everyone can get behind…

Spot on 

6 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

If that's the reason for Wethers being at number 2, Newcastle certainly wouldn't admit it!

6 hours ago, speedy19902006 said:

My 2 pence piece;

Thank you for your very details response :) Honestly I have been a bit pessimistic about our team, but having read this and hearing that Lee and George have taken a liking to the track etc... Maybe we're not so bad afterall... I just desperately hope we can be a team of BWD at number 1 with 7.5ish average and 6 other riders all between 5.5-7.0... Now that would be brilliant depth. Looking like Max is going to be the breakout star of this year :t:I was delighted when he signed for us again. If Matty and James can carry on how they left last year too and Starkey can do what we know he can, I'm actually quietly optimistic now too... But I shall reserve judgement until the first couple home meetings are out the way... COME ON THE DIAMONDS!!

Is there not any pictures of all the lads from the press and practice? Seems to be very little about, just a few videos on Facebook etc, or is there going to be a big press release at some point? I want to see what George and Brad look like etc... They seem to have avoided the cameras well.

Also, the video from Lee is brilliant, something we need more of from speedway, 'vlog' type videos from the riders perspective, may reach a wider (younger too) audience on YouTube, anything to help the sport progress, I like Lee even more that I've seen his enthusiasm... He wants to do the majority of the scoring!! We'll see...

3 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

If that's the reason for Wethers being at number 2, Newcastle certainly wouldn't admit it!

Certainly not, I personally saw Matty as our strongest rider for next year... So putting him at 2 and not 5 was strange to me, but maybe that's not the case at all, sounds like we've got 7 top quality riders.

Edited by Diamonds85

11 hours ago, enotian said:

Terrific Youtube content from Lee Complin there.

I'm not a fan of social media but it is exactly what the general public are after. There's a good backstory there regardless of whether or not his comeback goes well. Really professionally done and great exposure for sponsors. 

Great video!

Lee seems like a cracking guy with a great 'modest' attitude.... hope he has a successful comeback!

P.s Be great to live in one of those houses over looking the track :D

56 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Great video!

Lee seems like a cracking guy with a great 'modest' attitude.... hope he has a successful comeback!

P.s Be great to live in one of those houses over looking the track :D

It was as we lived on Grace Street from 1974 to 1986 and I could see the whole track bar the third bend from my bedroom window... 

However it was still better viewing standing under the Tote board on that bend than from home and when the Tote board was pulled down we migrated to right in front of the starting tapes...

It will be a miss...

Regards 

THJ

• Like 1

Was a good watch. I know it was brought up but he does need to drop some weight. 10 years off a bike and having the physique of a bodybuilder aren't great early signs.

Do hope Lee has a good return to the sport though. Box office rider who always gave 110% and was fantastic round Owlerton.

• Like 2