British Speedway Forum
CowleyCheetahs

Oxford Cheetahs 2022

41 minutes ago, CowleyCheetahs said:

Because the other 6 teams wouldn’t share the TV money 

Even if one of them (Wolves) don't want to race in a 6 team league?

1 hour ago, CowleyCheetahs said:

Because the other 6 teams wouldn’t share the TV money 

Leicester had to wait a year didnt they as that would have thinned out the TV money split that season..

Think it would have been 11 teams instead of 10 that year so not a huge difference to the split..

Six to seven means a bit bigger of a 'wedge' lost to the original six..

Rider availability must also be a consideration for bringing more teams into the top tier....

Would they have enough heat leaders of the required level to cover seven teams? 21 riders needed with Bjarne and Rory retiring and Dan Bewley also going from last years 18 heat leaders..

Max Fricke could be one replacement it looks like but it's still two shy of a full compliment.. 

11 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Leicester had to wait a year didnt they as that would have thinned out the TV money split that season..

Think it would have been 11 teams instead of 10 that year so not a huge difference to the split..

Rider availability must also be a consideration for bringing more teams into the top tier....

Would they have enough heat leaders of the required level to cover seven teams? 21 riders needed with Bjarne and Rory retiring and Dan Bewley also going from last years 18 heat leaders..

Max Fricke could be one replacement it looks like but it's still two shy of a full compliment.. 

So unless there is a net inflow of top line riders that makes Jorgensen, Wright, Howarth and Steve Worrall heatleaders.

Go to 8 teams and Kerr, Batchelor and Richie Worrall (5.36) would also be heat leaders

Edited by arnieg

15 minutes ago, mikebv said:

It’s obviously about trying to hold on to TV money,there is very little difference in the standard in the 2 leagues.Bjarne finish up 6th in “top” league averages for Panthers.Self Interest,but will never be admitted or sorted out.

Edited by Fromafar

23 minutes ago, arnieg said:

So unless there is a net inflow of top line riders that makes Jorgensen, Wright, Howarth and Steve Worrall heatleaders.

Go to 8 teams and Kerr, Batchelor and Richie Worrall (5.36) would also be heat leaders

Be a real dilution of tier one that wouldnt it?

Second Strings becoming Heat Leaders means reserves become Second Strings..

The vast majority of last years 2nd Div HL's would be top tier HL's this....

And they will also need to keep one eye on the Polish U24 League I would suspect..

That could take a fair few of our lads out of the equation at weekends in particular given the potential prize of a career in Poland and the money that the Poles have invested in it...

I would think the U24 lads coming through at a fair pace are very much key for the 2nd Division teams..  

33 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

It’s obviously about trying to hold on to TV money,there is very little difference in the standard in the 2 leagues.Bjarne finish up 6th in “top” league averages for Panthers.Self Interest,but will never be admitted or sorted out.

I don't think this is right. Most of the riders at the top of the championship averages have much lower premiership averages, so how can the standard be very little different?

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

They are seriously getting worse every year! Glad Poole are out of that league tbh. They can't be getting much money anyway. 

Nobody can confirm it's true although you wouldn't be surprised if it was. As has been stated Wolves don't want a six team league for a start, a lack of variety in opposition for the rest will hit them hard eventually. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Nobody can confirm it's true although you wouldn't be surprised if it was. As has been stated Wolves don't want a six team league for a start, a lack of variety in opposition for the rest will hit them hard eventually. 

Yep.... when we have A, B, C & D league fixtures against the same teams to fill the meaningless League dates, before the rain damaged grand play offs, then promoters could at last realise fans will further select the meetings they go to or don't go to!

The Promoter solution of ... if the crowds go down, dilute the standard and put the price up has reached the end of the line.

• Like 1

I think there will be more than six clubs in the top flight next season and I'll await the rabbits out of hats they produce each AGM.......

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I don't think this is right. Most of the riders at the top of the championship averages have much lower premiership averages, so how can the standard be very little different?

Sorry I  Will rephrase that,the standard is higher but it’s the same riders beating each other.There are certainly no superstar 10 pt average riders even though it is a weakened League.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Sorry I  Will rephrase that,the standard is higher but it’s the same riders beating each other.There are certainly no superstar 10 pt average riders even though it is a weakened League.

Ulrich could have got there by the end of the season :D

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Ulrich could have got there by the end of the season :D

That puts it in perspective then.It’s no Super-league.:P

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

Be a real dilution of tier one that wouldnt it?

Second Strings becoming Heat Leaders means reserves become Second Strings..

The vast majority of last years 2nd Div HL's would be top tier HL's this....

And they will also need to keep one eye on the Polish U24 League I would suspect..

That could take a fair few of our lads out of the equation at weekends in particular given the potential prize of a career in Poland and the money that the Poles have invested in it...

I would think the U24 lads coming through at a fair pace are very much key for the 2nd Division teams..  

Just another example for me of why Polish speedway will be the death of other domestic leagues

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lefty said:

Yep.... when we have A, B, C & D league fixtures against the same teams to fill the meaningless League dates, before the rain damaged grand play offs, then promoters could at last realise fans will further select the meetings they go to or don't go to!

The Promoter solution of ... if the crowds go down, dilute the standard and put the price up has reached the end of the line.

Never....

It's worked for the past decade and a half or so, so plenty of life in the business plan yet.... 

Some are still attending which shows it still has legs.. . :D