British Speedway Forum
CowleyCheetahs

Oxford Cheetahs 2022

37 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Sorry I  Will rephrase that,the standard is higher but it’s the same riders beating each other.There are certainly no superstar 10 pt average riders even though it is a weakened League.

I actually think from a general 'entertainment' point of view with the level of riders being so similar it is actually worth watching.. 

I watched lots of domestic Speedway on TV and three 'live' and there was plenty to keep you interested..

Unfortunately it is clear that these riders cannot make one league pay therefore it all becomes a bit contrived and nonsensical, which obviously then takes more than a fair bit away from the event itself.. 

If only they could get the racing level within a proper team sport structure..

Unfortunately, until they do the sport will continue to underperform against its undoubted potential..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

I actually think from a general 'entertainment' point of view with the level of riders being so similar it is actually worth watching.. 

I watched lots of domestic Speedway on TV and three 'live' and there was plenty to keep you interested..

Unfortunately it is clear that these riders cannot make one league pay therefore it all becomes a bit contrived and nonsensical, which obviously then takes more than a fair bit away from the event itself.. 

If only they could get the racing level within a proper team sport structure..

Unfortunately, until they do the sport will continue to underperform against its undoubted potential..

Agree, there is a general entertainment point of view.It’s the structure of the sport,which IMO is struggling to attract new fans.It’s just not credible,and it’s mainly diehards which are keeping it afloat.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, mikebv said:

Leicester had to wait a year didnt they as that would have thinned out the TV money split that season..

Think it would have been 11 teams instead of 10 that year so not a huge difference to the split..

Six to seven means a bit bigger of a 'wedge' lost to the original six..

Rider availability must also be a consideration for bringing more teams into the top tier....

Would they have enough heat leaders of the required level to cover seven teams? 21 riders needed with Bjarne and Rory retiring and Dan Bewley also going from last years 18 heat leaders..

Max Fricke could be one replacement it looks like but it's still two shy of a full compliment.. 

There will always be enough heat leaders, they'll just be weaker than normal as the best second strings now become heat leaders!

11 hours ago, Fromafar said:

It’s obviously about trying to hold on to TV money,there is very little difference in the standard in the 2 leagues.Bjarne finish up 6th in “top” league averages for Panthers.Self Interest,but will never be admitted or sorted out.

Bjarne being a strong number 1 in the Champ, while being a reserve in the Prem, suggests there is a bit of a difference between the league's! Obviously not as big as it was 2/3 years ago!

6 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Bjarne being a strong number 1 in the Champ, while being a reserve in the Prem, suggests there is a bit of a difference between the league's! Obviously not as big as it was 2/3 years ago!

That’s an extreme example to pick. He’s a reserve in a team where six riders have an average within one point of each other. 

Edited by JanAndersen
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Also look at Steve Worrall's average between the 2 leagues, between 3.5 to 4 point gap! So maybe not as close as people think. 

7 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Also look at Steve Worrall's average between the 2 leagues, between 3.5 to 4 point gap! So maybe not as close as people think. 

I take your argument and raise you Adam Ellis and Michael palm Toft

4 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

I take your argument and raise you Adam Ellis and Michael palm Toft

I was gonna add 'but on the other hand Sam Masters is no1 in both..' not sure his difference in average though ;) 

Richie Worrall is only a couple of points difference. Maybe Steve needs a new challenge away from BV or stay but not be captain so he has more time to concentrate on his riding. Whoops I'm heading off topic now! Lol.

2 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

I was gonna add 'but on the other hand Sam Masters is no1 in both..' not sure his difference in average though ;) 

Richie Worrall is only a couple of points difference. Maybe Steve needs a new challenge away from BV or stay but not be captain so he has more time to concentrate on his riding. Whoops I'm heading off topic now! Lol.

I'd probably say with Belle Vue having no home track advantage has a negative effect on the worralls who are traditionally known as trappers, same as Charles Wright whose average dropped a bit after moving to BV. Broc Nicol another with little difference between his averages in both leagues

1 minute ago, Jaizer said:

I'd probably say with Belle Vue having no home track advantage has a negative effect on the worralls who are traditionally known as trappers, same as Charles Wright whose average dropped a bit after moving to BV. Broc Nicol another with little difference between his averages in both leagues

Yes, I'd agree with that! Also if Glasgow want Basso then we could exchange him for Broc ;):t:

2 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Yes, I'd agree with that! Also if Glasgow want Basso then we could exchange him for Broc ;):t:

Heard on grapevine broc won't be back at Glasgow so might well happen

• Like 1

9 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Think again….Palm Toft no.1 at Peterborough…..no.4 at Redcar !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaizer said:

Heard on grapevine broc won't be back at Glasgow so might well happen

Maybe he's the 'unexpected rider that became available..' that I think Skidder said about? Hope so, good at Poole normally. Let him off for not getting much in playoff final as there was no way anyone was getting the better of the Poole HL's, they were very determined that night! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

It clearly made a big difference to be happy where he was racing - under Brit team managers etc etc.:t:

• Like 1

So conversion factor should really be about 1.25