British Speedway Forum
CowleyCheetahs

Oxford Cheetahs 2022

18 hours ago, Matt Davis said:

Well be kind of did and kind of didnt

with 4 other tracks already racing on a Friday, meaning 8 teams already in action, doesn’t it really make sense to allow another team to ride on a Friday too?

It makes total sense to allow tracks to race on the night they feel will deliver their best  crowds.. 

And for an entertainment business you would think Friday would deliver more punters than a Wednesday. (Especially the much needed families with young kids who hopefuly will become adult punters in later years)..

Absolute crackers that they hold back the sports growth by preventing teams from riding on nights they want to because it means not enough guests will be available....

A ruling that destroys all the sport's credibility, and therefore reduces crowds significantly, and keeps major sponsors and mainstream media away, prevents tracks from riding on nights that they feel would increase the crowds that follow the sport.. 

An amazing plan...:D

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, mikebv said:

It makes total sense to allow tracks to race on the night they feel will deliver their best  crowds.. 

And for an entertainment business you would think Friday would deliver more punters than a Wednesday. (Especially the much needed families with young kids who hopefuly will become adult punters in later years)..

Absolute crackers that they hold back the sports growth by preventing teams from riding on nights they want to because it means not enough guests will be available....

A ruling that destroys all the sport's credibility, and therefore reduces crowds significantly, and keeps major sponsors and mainstream media away, prevents tracks from riding on nights that they feel would increase the crowds that follow the sport.. 

Although I do agree with your points, running 4 meetings on a Friday would be foolish.

That would be 8 teams in action, now out of those 8 teams its only going to take a few  injures and rider commitments elsewhere and your in a world of pain getting 8 teams to tapes at somewhere near full strength 

Then the crowds will dip all round on the nights as substandard teams will have to be put out..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As Oxford would be bottom of priority list would also mean at least 4 home meetings on your alternative race night thus losing any consistency to the casual fan

• Like 2

Just now, Jaizer said:

As Oxford would be bottom of priority list would also mean at least 4 home meetings on your alternative race night thus losing any consistency to the casual fan

And remember, the CL could be as low as 10 teams next year

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, M.D said:

Although I do agree with your points, running 4 meetings on a Friday would be foolish.

That would be 8 teams in action, now out of those 8 teams its only going to take a few  injures and rider commitments elsewhere and your in a world of pain getting 8 teams to tapes at somewhere near full strength 

Then the crowds will dip all round on the nights as substandard teams will have to be put out..

8 teams. 7 riders per team. Equals 56 riders needed..

8 teams. 6 riders per team. Equals 48 riders needed..

8 teams. 5 riders per team. Equals 40 riders needed..

Use six or five man teams and you have plenty of riders to come in and replace those missing..

Far better to deliver a credible offering, and do it on nights that can deliver your best crowds, and thus grow the sport as a collective..

11 minutes ago, mikebv said:

8 teams. 7 riders per team. Equals 56 riders needed..

8 teams. 6 riders per team. Equals 48 riders needed..

8 teams. 5 riders per team. Equals 40 riders needed..

Use six or five man teams and you have plenty of riders to come in and replace those missing..

Far better to deliver a credible offering, and do it on nights that can deliver your best crowds, and thus grow the sport as a collective..

Yes but its not, its 7 man teams

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, M.D said:

Yes but its not, its 7 man teams

But it shouldn't be 7 man teams if you cant make the leagues credible entities using that template..

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result each time? 

Madness is the definition I believe.. 

(Which is quite Ironic really as there was seven in that band, and then six).... :D

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

Personally I don't subscribe to the kids with families bit . Whether it's midweek or not if your going your going always found it a weak excuse. You look at any midweek football crowd and it's full of kids maybe it's just speedway kids who need to be in bed early 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Personally I don't subscribe to the kids with families bit . Whether it's midweek or not if your going your going always found it a weak excuse. You look at any midweek football crowd and it's full of kids maybe it's just speedway kids who need to be in bed early 

It never stopped me. I'd go to West Ham speedway on Tuesday evening, kip in the car on the way home and always get up for school the following morning. That was the deal for me being taken to a midweek meeting.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

You are completely overlooking one fact - 6 teams using a Friday as their main race night DOES NOT mean that those teams will be able to race every Friday. 

If Oxford were to be accepted as a Friday track, they would be bottom of the pecking order when it comes to having priority over that day. That means that they would have to use their alternative race night 5 times, when racing the other teams using a Friday. At present, this equates to half of their home fixtures being raced on 'off' nights if a team is wanting to race every week, in addition to KOC, Play-Offs being raced on 'off' nights too. 

So your argument is flawed IMO

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Tosh1218 said:

I’m sure everyone must realise Rob Godfrey the head honcho at the BSPA. but he doesn’t make the decision by himself  . As for the Tv money for the 6 clubs in the top league  it’s those promoters who refused to split the pot with another club  . As already stated 4 clubs ride on a Friday so guests are at a short supply  .gone is the time when the worlds best riders rode in Britain they go to Poland for the big money which you can’t blame the riders as there career isn’t guaranteed to be a long one . Just hope all the negativity disappears and clubs at both levels can get more punters through the gate . Heres hoping 2022 is better for British Speedway 

I’m sure everyone must realise Rob Godfrey is the head honcho at the BSP Ltd 

they do, that is why they are bitter & twisted.

but he doesn’t make the decision by himself 

unfortunately, they are thick & can not comprehend that concept.

As for the Tv money for the 6 clubs in the top league  it’s those promoters who refused to split the pot with another club.

and Godfrey is not a promoter in the top league.  

Here's hoping 2022 is better for British Speedway 

True with better organisation on fixtures back to a season of racing between April & mid October, though, with having a blank week of racing every 4 or 5 weeks to be used as catch up for postponed meetings.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Maybe given Tuesdays and Wednesdays are such big football nights in the UK, Speedway should avoid them? 

Tuesday's are sorted given Sweden run, so maybe Wednesday could be avoided too?

With no school next day, Fridays will always have that advantage over a weekday, but as you say, if people want their kids to go they will take them whatever the night...

(And Poole seem to do ok on a Wednesday)...

The reality is whatever night they run, unfortunatley there isnt enough adults going to ever have enough kids there to make any major difference to the sports future by encouraging them to become regulars..

I suppose the made up stuff we have today is the best we can expect..

Edited by mikebv

1 hour ago, AndyPresley said:

You are completely overlooking one fact - 6 teams using a Friday as their main race night DOES NOT mean that those teams will be able to race every Friday. 

If Oxford were to be accepted as a Friday track, they would be bottom of the pecking order when it comes to having priority over that day. That means that they would have to use their alternative race night 5 times, when racing the other teams using a Friday. At present, this equates to half of their home fixtures being raced on 'off' nights if a team is wanting to race every week, in addition to KOC, Play-Offs being raced on 'off' nights too. 

So your argument is flawed IMO

Why would teams want to race every week?

Do what Sweden and Poland do and race home one week and away the next..

You only have to see how crowds can get impacted at the end of a season when clubs cram in weekly 'home' Speedway to complete fixture lists.. 

With so few teams, and so many Fridays from Good Friday to November, surely all could run Fridays during that time?

(If they wanted to)...

50 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Why would teams want to race every week?

Do what Sweden and Poland do and race home one week and away the next..

You only have to see how crowds can get impacted at the end of a season when clubs cram in weekly 'home' Speedway to complete fixture lists.. 

With so few teams, and so many Fridays from Good Friday to November, surely all could run Fridays during that time?

(If they wanted to)...

I guess it depends on what the supporters want. As a long-term supporter, I’ve always preferred regular, weekly speedway and most of the people I speak to would mirror that. 

Having said that, you are correct. It would certainly be possible for ALL clubs to run on the same race if they wanted, in a league where teams raced at home fortnightly. However, this is not how British Speedway currently operates and does not plan to operate next year.

So, given the above, it seems a sensible decision to limit the number of clubs racing on the same day in the current circumstances. It is certainly not ‘absolute crackers’ as you have quoted - it seems to me to be based upon a logical decision making process and not one intended to harm any individual club.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AndyPresley said:

I guess it depends on what the supporters want. As a long-term supporter, I’ve always preferred regular, weekly speedway and most of the people I speak to would mirror that. 

Having said that, you are correct. It would certainly be possible for ALL clubs to run on the same race if they wanted, in a league where teams raced at home fortnightly. However, this is not how British Speedway currently operates and does not plan to operate next year.

So, given the above, it seems a sensible decision to limit the number of clubs racing on the same day in the current circumstances. It is certainly not ‘absolute crackers’ as you have quoted - it seems to me to be based upon a logical decision making process and not one intended to harm any individual club.

To add to this, Oxford have accepted it. They're not idiots, they clearly have faith a Wednesday will work for them anyway and have moved forward with it

• Like 3