British Speedway Forum
CowleyCheetahs

Oxford Cheetahs 2022

On 12/19/2021 at 10:16 AM, Triple.H. said:

@Technik

Is Caspar Henriksen the son of Anders formally of Newport ?

Yeah definitely as was said on Swedish League coverage on Premier Sports last year!

4 hours ago, Timberman2 said:

Yeah definitely as was said on Swedish League coverage on Premier Sports last year!

Clever Clogs

On 12/23/2021 at 7:45 PM, Timberman2 said:

If he is half as good as his Dad was he will be doing well , superb ambassador for the PL in its day. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

He’s not Swedish, he’s Dutch

Maybe he could 'double' up?!:party:

2 hours ago, Pinny said:

If he is half as good as his Dad was he will be doing well , superb ambassador for the PL in its day. 

After one of Newports home meetings against us Diamonds, my wife and I stayed over a very local hotel. Whilst having a meal I got up to go to the toilet and Anders, who was with a girlfriend, summoned me for drinks. I still had my white shirt and BSLA tie on and he had mistaken me for a waiter.  We had a laugh about it at he time and in later meetings. A real nice guy. Seem to remember he chased Stoney ? all over the centre green at Sheffield with a shovel after a track incident. Stoney probably didn't think he was a nice guy then.:D 

2 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Seem to remember he chased Stoney ? all over the centre green at Sheffield with a shovel after a track incident. Stoney probably didn't think he was a nice guy then.:D 

Wasn't that the other way round....i.e. Stoney chased him ?

Edited by singy13
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Tsunami said:

After one of Newports home meetings against us Diamonds, my wife and I stayed over a very local hotel. Whilst having a meal I got up to go to the toilet and Anders, who was with a girlfriend, summoned me for drinks. I still had my white shirt and BSLA tie on and he had mistaken me for a waiter.  We had a laugh about it at he time and in later meetings. A real nice guy. Seem to remember he chased Stoney ? all over the centre green at Sheffield with a shovel after a track incident. Stoney probably didn't think he was a nice guy then.:D 

Think you got that wrong , Anders wiped Stoney out at Sheffield and Stoney chased him with a shovel. 

i remember the 1999 season anders and frank smart ended up 3&4 for newport and Anders out gated Stoney. Stoney was all over him like a rash but the minute hed of made a move, Smartey would of been through. Superb action. 

Always loved Anders as a Wasp fan but Stoney was awesome entertainment. 

i will add , in my long time as a Wasp fan, Stoney was prob the opponent i always looked forward to riding at newport as far as opponents go. Superb style , awesome rider, panto villain and a top bloke. Awesome stuff

Edited by Pinny
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Pinny said:

Think you got that wrong , Anders wiped Stoney out at Sheffield and Stoney chased him with a shovel. 

Yep right way round.....and they had a bit of a centre green tussle at Reading.......obviously good mates...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pinny said:

i remember the 1999 season anders and frank smart ended up 3&4 for newport and Anders out gated Stoney. Stoney was all over him like a rash but the minute hed of made a move, Smartey would of been through. Superb action. 

Always loved Anders as a Wasp fan but Stoney was awesome entertainment. 

i will add , in my long time as a Wasp fan, Stoney was prob the opponent i always looked forward to riding at newport as far as opponents go. Superb style , awesome rider, panto villain and a top bloke. Awesome stuff

I remember Anders as a great gater. He once had a 15 point max at our place, and none of our riders could touch him.

Edited by Tsunami

5 hours ago, Tsunami said:

I remember Anders as a great gater. He once had a 15 point max at our place, and none of our riders could touch him.

Not many were better out the gate than Anders. He had a right set of elbows on him into the first bend as well, as Phil Morris will confirm. 

Thats one of the things about him every one liked , all the so called dirty riders would come to Newport and he would sort them straight out. 

in his later years at Newport he progressed to being more than just a gater too and would often miss the gate and pick the opposition apart. Great days , the sport could do with more like him now for sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawks6991 said:

Nice little piece on Oxford by Oliver Holt in the Mail on Sunday today.

Oliver Holt lives in Oxford so hopefully he will be given an open invite to the Stadium for both Speedway and Greyhounds and any other events taking place so he can continue to give National publicity to a resurrected venue.

Something we all hope, I'm sure in the reopening of other Stadiums such as Coventry and Rye House

From Daily Mail;

'The Oxford Stadium squatted in the gloom on its site near the ring-road, dilapidated and half-forgotten amid the weeds of disuse and disinterest. I tried to visit it a couple of times out of curiosity but the path was always blocked by gates and padlocks. 

Most people gave up on it ever staging sport again but next year, for the first time since it closed in 2007, it is due to host Speedway once more as the home of the reformed Oxford Cheetahs. 

So often, we hear stories of sport shrinking and stadiums being allowed to fall into disrepair but this, tentatively, at least, feels like a sporting resurrection, new shoots appearing in a sport that has a dedicated, enthusiastic band of followers. I have never been to watch Speedway but I’m looking forward to putting that right.'

• Like 5

Reading on a greyhound forum that dog trials will start in April but the stand will not be in use. Dog meetings will run mainly in the morning so it is not viable to repair the stand.