British Speedway Forum
CowleyCheetahs

Oxford Cheetahs 2022

29 minutes ago, bluebee said:

Must admit I'm getting a wee bit excited abut the season in prospect. Supported Leicester last season but now moved to Chippy not far from Oxford so farewell Lions and here I come for the Cheetahs. I really hope the support will be there over the season. The team building looks good and should be rewarded. Just two questions from me.

1. Will there be an Oxford website soon?

What is the planned racing night?

Would be great if Oxford was a success and was followed by a return of  my beloved Coventry Bees. And Swindon and Eastbourne of course.

Wednesdays.

Thanks Skidder!. I aim to be there as often as I  can.

Not sure what I make of the Oxford reserve signings, wouldn't call them strong - 2 riders who couldn't reach the minimum 4.00 for foreigners. But also not weak - they weren't far behind. A tad disappointed they've got a NDL team but not using a British rider to double up in both sides, such as Jake Mulford!

Jason Crump announced as team manager this morning 

• Confused 1

What average attendances are anticipated for the Oxford revival season? As I recall - and stand to be corrected - they averaged 700 when the sport last took place there. And sadly, national interest in speedway has further declined since those days and it appears continues  to do so year-on-year.

Edited by Guest
spelling error

53 minutes ago, Matt Davis said:

If rumours are true they are paying top $$$ for riders; including reserves on more per point than some Clubs are paying Heat Leaders.

JC  is a legend and great role model but won't be doing Team Management for peanuts and expenses like some TM's do.

I just hope for the sake of everyone at Oxford and for the Sport in general that the guy in charge of the Stadium has deep pockets.

Wish them every success. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HGould said:

If rumours are true they are paying top $$$ for riders; including reserves on more per point than some Clubs are paying Heat Leaders.

JC  is a legend and great role model but won't be doing Team Management for peanuts and expenses like some TM's do.

I just hope for the sake of everyone at Oxford and for the Sport in general that the guy in charge of the Stadium has deep pockets.

Wish them every success. 

Rumours:rolleyes:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

What average attendances are anticipated for the Oxford revival season? As I recall - and stand to be corrected - they averaged 700 when the sport last took place there. And sadly, national interest in speedway has further declined since those days and it appears continues  to do so year-on-year.

2nd Division teams seem to do "ok" with 700 or so...

And in Oxford's case you would like to think that the early meetings in particular will be a huge % amount higher than 700 given they are relaunching.. 

Lots of local publicity too initially, so hopefully these early crowds will help pay for a successful season overall as the crowd levels settle down and stabilise to its true level..

And even (if it is "just 700"), it's more than would be watching the sport if they hadn't have come back...

20 home matches or so and that is 14000 more clicks at the turnstiles for the sport..

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HGould said:

Wish them every success. 

They're paying significantly less than some in this division, but then again, this is 2022 and facts mean nothing. When all is said and done, they have to balance their books accordingly. that's their business. But then again, people believe what they want to believe these days

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt Davis said:

Jason was self motivated in his riding career and will be able to use his motivation skills for the team.

Add to that his vast experience which he can pass on to the younger riders.

Should add 5% at least motivation to the riders having someone with that as your TM. I know in my team I sometimes feel we're losing about 10%! Lol

Don't get the obsession on here with "rumours" of what other teams pay their riders. It's up to them and must be based on some sort of business plan. If and when that proves wrong then criticise but before that hardly see the merit in it. Also, as I understand it's the stadium owner whose running things, so no rent. So will have more available to pay riders than those who have rents to pay.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HGould said:

Wish them every success. 

Hope the badge Collector at Birmingham has deep pocket too. 

2 hours ago, HGould said:

Wish them every success. 

Whilst I admit I don’t know the facts about pay, I would be very very surprised if there was any truth what so ever in these “rumours”

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Matt Davis said:

Jason's grandfather Neil Street was one of the best ever "team managers" incorporating coach, motivator, advisor & talent spotter ever in the history of speedway. For a multitude of reasons I can see exceling in this new role.

• Like 2

It was great having Jason in our team last season even though it was obvious he was near the end but to say I saw him ride for my team was great and he will be brilliant for Oxford in management good luck to you all this season.