British Speedway Forum
CowleyCheetahs

Oxford Cheetahs 2022

Well decent looking team, 'big names' involved, feelgood factor in it being a phoenix for the ashes, this should mean an excellent start to the season. However, it will need  serious and sensible heads to build on this foundation and I hope that is going to be the case. The quality of the racing on offer (and that doesn't mean a home win every match)  will be important. The race night has to run smoothly, the riders need to turn up regularly and they need to get the supporters feeling valued. Last season I went to Leicester and I felt it was well run and the people involved were friendly and helpful - I am sure it's not the only club like that. Oxford would do well to look at the clubs that have retained their support and take some lessons. Oxford needs to be a success for the whole sport not just one city. Speedway needs a good story for next season after the problems it has had recently. I'm looking forward to being a fan again!

Edited by bluebee
  • Like 3

Reference the poor crowds in 2007 Oxford started the season under Colin Horton some teams named top heavy sides preventing Oxford having no number one and a poor team Colin withdrew mid season and Alan Trump kept the Conference team going. Alan was prepared to run the next season (I think in the 2nd tier), but was stopped by the stadium owners GRA who did not want the stadium to be succesful so they could justify building houses. Thanks to lots of hard work by speedway, greyhound fans and supportive MP'S and councilors we are in the situation we are now. The new leaseholder is certaintly making moves to ensure that speedway and the stadium has the best chance of succeding.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I wonder if Crumpie was being courted to ride but had a change of heart thus the recent inclusion of Josh and Dillon. Batch, Scotty and Crumpie would have a been a great spearhead.

11 minutes ago, Dickie Head said:

I wonder if Crumpie was being courted to ride but had a change of heart thus the recent inclusion of Josh and Dillon. Batch, Scotty and Crumpie would have a been a great spearhead.

He was one of the best few riders I've ever seen, and definitely the fastest at Arlington, and his races with Nicki still stick in the memory ( faster rider vs a better racer)but I think last season shows age catches up with everyone and personally I'd rather remember him in his prime and hopefully he'll make a great manager.

Edited by gazzac
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dickie Head said:

Press release says initial talks were about Crump riding but he's decided against it and is now manager instead

5 hours ago, gazzac said:

He was one of the best few riders I've ever seen, and definitely the fastest at Arlington, and his races with Nicki still stick in the memory ( faster rider vs a better racer)but I think last season shows age catches up with everyone and personally I'd rather remember him in his prime and hopefully he'll make a great manager.

I think his crash at Wolverhampton knocked the stuffing out of him  so he realised it's still a young man's game. 

I honestly think he will still race a few meetings in Australia but not State titles etc to scratch his itch.

I'm definitely in the remember him on the top of his game camp as opposed to seeing him being beaten by youngsters chasing the dream.

As a manager he can maybe give so much advice to the team that it has to be a good move. 

• Like 2

Got to wish Oxford a successful season, but it seams to be an expensive side and team manager, hope the crowds come back to make it a success. Will try and make a trip down from deepest Cumbria 

• Like 1

I quite like the oxford side but wasting money on crump managing the team seems an unnecessary monetary risk tbh

1 hour ago, ruckerroo said:

I quite like the oxford side but wasting money on crump managing the team seems an unnecessary monetary risk tbh

What's he being paid ?

State facts not rumours

13 minutes ago, Triple.H. said:

What's he being paid ?

State facts not rumours

I’m sure Oxford wanted him as a Rider but ended up been a team manager 

47 minutes ago, Triple.H. said:

What's he being paid ?

State facts not rumours

Won't be doing it for nowt !!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Neila said:

Won't be doing it for nowt !!

We know that but the post I quoted suggested he was being paid a King's Ransom.

Speedway seems to be full of people who allegedly know what everyone is and isn't being paid but they never, as my Old maths teacher would say, show their working out

• Like 1

Must be a great inspiration to have Crump in the pits in whatever capacity....great move by Oxford...they seem to be ticking all the boxes so far as set up goes!

You have Crump and Nicholls .... we have Rogers and Auty :D

My only disappointment is that race night is a Wednesday ? not the best night IMO.

Edited by GiveusaB
  • Like 1

Yup Wednesday race night is probably the worst possible that the Scunthorpe owner could have given them. Clashes with Poole . Adults kids have work/ school. 

As we all know it’s not about promoting the sport it’s all about self interest. You can race on any night as long as it’s not on “my race night” 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1