British Speedway Forum
CowleyCheetahs

Oxford Cheetahs 2022

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Yup Wednesday race night is probably the worst possible that the Scunthorpe owner could have given them. Clashes with Poole . Adults kids have work/ school. 

As we all know it’s not about promoting the sport it’s all about self interest. You can race on any night as long as it’s not on “my race night” 

Why is it the Scunthorpe promoter is getting the blame for a Wednesday night for Racing , I’m sure due to the dog racing for the Betting Shops there isn’t a lot of choice of days when the speedway can race . I know Rob Godfrey gets a bad press but surely he alone can’t say when a side rides there home fixtures 

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Yup Wednesday race night is probably the worst possible that the Scunthorpe owner could have given them. Clashes with Poole . Adults kids have work/ school. 

As we all know it’s not about promoting the sport it’s all about self interest. You can race on any night as long as it’s not on “my race night” 

Adults/kids with work/school has never held Poole or plenty of other midweek tracks back.

• Like 3

The way I understand the race night decision is as follows;

Monday - premiership race night 

Tueaday - free

Wednesday - free

Thursday - premiership race night 

Friday - too many other clubs already ride Friday 

Saturday/Sunday - greyhounds 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tosh1218 said:

Why is it the Scunthorpe promoter is getting the blame for a Wednesday night for Racing , I’m sure due to the dog racing for the Betting Shops there isn’t a lot of choice of days when the speedway can race . I know Rob Godfrey gets a bad press but surely he alone can’t say when a side rides there home fixtures 

because the bitter twisted and ill informed blame him for everything:cheers:

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Strange that Danny Ford of Wednesday track Poole is on the BSPL Management Board and party to those decisions?!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apparently Hans Nielsen will be making an appearance? Will certainly help raise the profile of the sport returning to Cowley.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Apparently Hans Nielsen will be making an appearance? Will certainly help raise the profile of the sport returning to Cowley.

Surely everybody will wish this to be the case. Can't imagine opening night without Hans in attendance :D hopefully maybe even ride the first lap.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Hilly said:

Surely everybody will wish this to be the case. Can't imagine opening night without Hans in attendance :D hopefully maybe even ride the first lap.

If he’s not riding for Birmingham :D

• Haha 2

I should hope he would be the first to do the first laps at the opening meeting

• Like 2

I think you will find that the infamous Pirates didn't take kindly to moving off their traditional Wednesday race night, which is I guess almost engrained into every Poole residents calendar.  They will be happy with any night as long as it is a Wednesday.

Too many clubs on a Friday ............ who says ? 

We have Edinburgh and Glasgow running on Fridays ( a most bizarre situation ) 

Do Poland seem to have too many clubs on a Sunday ? 

Do Denmark too many clubs on  Wednesday ?

Do  Sweden  .... etc etc.

Time the blinkered promoters allowed tracks to run on nights where they can make most money , not for the convenience of other Friday night tracks.  Promoting British Speedway  is not the description  I would use for  Rob Godfrey ( unless it's promoting his own club)

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

I think you will find that the infamous Pirates didn't take kindly to moving off their traditional Wednesday race night, which is I guess almost engrained into every Poole residents calendar.  They will be happy with any night as long as it is a Wednesday.

Time the blinkered promoters allowed tracks to run on nights where they can make most money , not for the convenience of other Friday night tracks.  Promoting British Speedway  is not the description  I would use for  Rob Godfrey ( unless it's promoting his own club)

You forgot Redcar.

15 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

You forgot Redcar.

I believe he's commenting on the proximity of Edinburgh & Glasgow. Both racing on a Friday means fans can't attend both, which they previously could when Glasgow raced on a Sunday!

15 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

I see no reason why lots of Oxford can't race on a Friday! When they race against other Friday tracks, they'd have to change race night, which is fair, but they should be allowed to race Fridays for the other fixtures imo

Stopping too many clubs racing on the same day must be to free up riders for guest bookings? If every club is racing no guests are available! Which is a rubbish reason to refuse Oxford Fridays tbh.

Basically saying "you can't race on a Friday, because others do & they may want to use your riders"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I believe he's commenting on the proximity of Edinburgh & Glasgow. Both racing on a Friday means fans can't attend both, which they previously could when Glasgow raced on a Sunday!

Glasgow's traditional race night was Friday night. Edinburgh took it in 1996 as the Scottish monarchs operating out of shawfield and continued to use it in 1997 when moved to armadale. As a result when Glasgow came back in 1997 had to use Sundays. As Newcastle I'm sure will confirm as a Sunday track it is much harder to attract riders and the facenna ownership wished to move back to the traditional Friday night race night. And in addition by that point there was actually minimal fans attending both tracks

It must be a Scottish thing to have nearby tracks running on the same night. Glasgow and Edinburgh in speedway while Cowdenbeath and Lochgelly do the same thing for stock cars.

I suppose the only way I can see both tracks in both sports is to spend two weekends in Scotland.