British Speedway Forum
CowleyCheetahs

Oxford Cheetahs 2022

1 hour ago, crescent girl said:

I rather think the problem was that two Saturday tracks (Workington and Lakeside) wanted to run extra meetings on Fridays, on nights the three regular Friday tracks already had fixtures set.

While this has nowt to do with Oxford (and lets remember the Cheetahs were originally wanting to enter the Premiership as a Thursday club anyway) it needs to be remembered what really was the problem in four years ago.

Please don't let the truth get in the way of a good story :party:

• Haha 1

On 1/30/2022 at 9:15 AM, AndyPresley said:

If Oxford were to race on a Friday, then almost half the teams in the league would race on a Friday.

The result of this would be that Oxford would race around half their home fixture on their alternative race day wouldn’t it? So they wouldn’t be racing on a Friday anyway unless they raced, say, every other week.

Someone mentioned that Polish club’s often use the same race day. Poland works very differently as they only race at home every 2 weeks. So using the same race day works there. I can’t see how it would in the UK unless fixtures were to become fortnightly.

That’s before you consider that speedway in GB doesn’t use a squad system. So as soon as riders are injured, you have a requirement for guests, meaning teams become vastly under strength when they can’t find one as every team is already racing that day.

Under GB speedway’s existing set up, I think it makes sense to restrict the number of clubs using the same race night. 

I have just had a quick look through the fixtures on the website (SGB).

Obviously Oxford are involved in some of these fixtures but there is only 3 times during the season when all 4 teams are racing a team meeting (championship) on a Friday night (8th July, 15th and 22nd April).

On the 15th April Poole are also racing at home.

1 hour ago, Gambo95 said:

I have just had a quick look through the fixtures on the website (SGB).

Obviously Oxford are involved in some of these fixtures but there is only 3 times during the season when all 4 teams are racing a team meeting (championship) on a Friday night (8th July, 15th and 22nd April).

On the 15th April Poole are also racing at home.

Good Friday is a bit different!!

Only ONE team to get guests from, if required. :t:

On 3/8/2022 at 11:00 PM, Hilly said:

New website now up and running https://oxfordspeedway.club/

Tickets available from 7pm Wednesday, no news about season tickets yet thou.

Wish I could make it...so many great memories!

Huge congratulations to all those who have made it happen.

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Wish I could make it...so many great memories!

Huge congratulations to all those who have made it happen.

Steve even though the weather can be a bit iffy even in the height of summer you need to pop down. Failing that make a guest appearance up north

Edited by Triple.H.
  • Like 1

I have to say, I'm slightly confused by the car parking arrangements on the Oxford website.

It says there is free parking at the Unipart car park, but you need to select that you want this when you buy the tickets.

Does this mean that you can't park there if you don't buy a ticket in advance? 

I think they missed a trick by not having their opening meeting as a challenge against "Swindon" by the way. Would have got a few up from Wiltshire for that, I reckon.

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

I have to say, I'm slightly confused by the car parking arrangements on the Oxford website.

It says there is free parking at the Unipart car park, but you need to select that you want this when you buy the tickets.

Does this mean that you can't park there if you don't buy a ticket in advance? 

I think they missed a trick by not having their opening meeting as a challenge against "Swindon" by the way. Would have got a few up from Wiltshire for that, I reckon.

Regard Car Park ,I think you are correct in your assumption.

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Regard Car Park ,I think you are correct in your assumption.

I suspect that is not going to go down well with some people.

51 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I suspect that is not going to go down well with some people.

Thank you all for this information. Looks like a revisit to Cowley will not figure in my speedway plans for this year.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Lefty said:

Thank you all for this information. Looks like a revisit to Cowley will not figure in my speedway plans for this year.

I don't know why they are doing that. It was always fine to park there in the past.

I don't think many speedway supporters are in the habit of buying advance tickets as it's never been necessary.

Not sure how many spaces they have been allowed (although it has plenty of space) to ensure you have a space you have to choose the parking option at no extra cost.

No reason why you cannot try stadium first and if its full, go to the Unipart parking having chosen that option.

The actual stadium car park has always been on the small side so will always fill up.

14 minutes ago, Hilly said:

Not sure how many spaces they have been allowed (although it has plenty of space) to ensure you have a space you have to choose the parking option at no extra cost.

No reason why you cannot try stadium first and if its full, go to the Unipart parking having chosen that option.

The actual stadium car park has always been on the small side so will always fill up.

This is the wording on the website: "Due to limited parking at the stadium, free parking will be available thanks to Unipart at their site just a short walk from the stadium (approx 800m) on a first come first served basis, please remember to select this option if required when purchasing your tickets as this will be required when arriving at the car park."

To me that says that you can only park there if you have booked it in advance. I used to use this car park before and it's much larger than is needed for a speedway crowd. You could just drive in and park. Mind you, it's been a few years now!

27 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I don't know why they are doing that. It was always fine to park there in the past.

I don't think many speedway supporters are in the habit of buying advance tickets as it's never been necessary.

Lot of Promotions seem to want to go online and advanced tickets,I’m not sure the sport is really in a position to go down the road given the aging support .Lot more Media required to attract new support if that’s the way forward as many don't even know the sport exists.