British Speedway Forum
secondbend

speedwaychampions.com

Nope. Disappeared I think, like the guy who ran it

I was in something like regular contact with him. But when I contacted him with some info over a year ago now I never got a reply to this day. Which is unusual as he was fairly prompt replying. I hope nothing bad happened

Pity, he was a nice guy and the site was brilliant

Pretty much like the Speedway Results site that suddenly disappeared. It had a wealth of information and I used to refer to it regularly.

There have been some superb sites over the years that have just disappeared. That's why we need some kind of central stats site that is going to stay available...

2 hours ago, chunky said:

There have been some superb sites over the years that have just disappeared. That's why we need some kind of central stats site that is going to stay available...

Yep. Most of the sites that have come and gone have just been run by a single dedicated person keeping things up to date.

When they lose interest or get busy with other things, the site fades away.

AktuellSpeedway.se went the same way recently.

A group organised effort that isn't dependant on individuals is required.

5 hours ago, HenryW said:

Yep. Most of the sites that have come and gone have just been run by a single dedicated person keeping things up to date.

AktuellSpeedway.se went the same way recently.

A group organised effort that isn't dependant on individuals is required.

At least Brian Collins left his international web site up...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/4/2021 at 6:49 PM, HenryW said:

Myself and Frigbo have been going 13 years and counting.... :)

• Like 2

Good News coming from Colin Jewes, who has put his speedwaychampions website online again. It is all the same as it was a couple of years ago, when it was taken down. The website will not be updated anymore, though, but nevertheless it is still a terrific source of Information.

Here is the Link https://speedwaychampions.yolasite.com/   

• Like 2

What a gem. Thank you for the link.

Just looking at the Memorial page. The Gary Peterson piece is a reminder of a meeting I will never forget. 

I will raise a glass to all of them later . RiP

Edited by Lefty

1 hour ago, Lefty said:

What a gem. Thank you for the link.

Just looking at the Memorial page. The Gary Peterson piece is a reminder of a meeting I will never forget. 

I will raise a glass to all of them later . RiP

I was at that meeting at Monmore too & it is an incident that  left me so shocked, I left the stadium soon after as was obvious how severe his crash was.When I got home my wife could tell immediately something was wrong but I couldn't bring myself to tell her about it for 24 hours or so .I still think about it to this day. As I worked in Wolverhampton in those days I sneaked away so that i could see Gary's cortege on the way into Bushbury Crematorium . Those huge floodlight poles around  the centre of each bend at Monmore in those days were horrific

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 11:46 AM, Bavarian said:

Good News coming from Colin Jewes, who has put his speedwaychampions website online again. It is all the same as it was a couple of years ago, when it was taken down. The website will not be updated anymore, though, but nevertheless it is still a terrific source of Information.

Here is the Link https://speedwaychampions.yolasite.com/   

Glad this is back up

One of the two essential sites to look at for me, along with Brian Collins International speedway :t:

• Like 1

On a serious note....anyone know what has happened to Brian Collins?

We were friends and have met him several times....we talked over email almost every day when I was collecting most of the programmes pictured on there....in fact I had so many he asked me slow down on sending them on several occasions...LOL

Nice guy, I do know he had some health problems and our emails to each other just died....he did I believe had Alzheimer's.

He could not update the site anymore as his software was no longer usable with the host site.

I have checked out his name many times on the internet hoping for some news but, alas, no success.

Edited by andout

3 minutes ago, andout said:

On a serious note....anyone know what has happened to Brian Collins?

We were friends and have met him several times....we talked over email almost every day when I was collecting most of the programmes pictured on there....in fact I had so many he asked me slow down on sending them on several occasions...LOL

Nice guy, I do know he had some health problems and our emails to each other just died....he did I believe had Alzheimer's.

He could not update the site anymore as his software was no longer usable with the host site.

I have checked out his name many times on the internet hoping for some news but, alas, no success.

I know what you mean. Brian and I used to message each other, but the last I heard from him was 2005.

I never met him, but he seemed a really good guy.

Met Brian once. Not sure if he messaged me or i read it, that he had lost interest in the sport

Didn't know about his health, and hope he is doing well. Very nice guy, and as i said, an essential website he put together

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Met Brian once. Not sure if he messaged me or i read it, that he had lost interest in the sport

Didn't know about his health, and hope he is doing well. Very nice guy, and as i said, an essential website he put together

He definitely NEVER lost interest in the sport especially International meetings (Same as me).