British Speedway Forum
brianbuck

Birmingham Speedway - crucial meeting

A meeting crucial to the future of Birmingham Speedway has been arranged for Tuesday November 16th at 7pm, at Aston Manor Cricket Club, Church Lane, Perry Barr, at which the leader of the consortium seeking to take over the promotion, will outline their plans and will answer questions from supporters.

Everyone, whether a Brummies supporter or a supporter of any other club, is invited to attend.

• Like 1

Directions to Aston Manor Cricket Club:

From M6 Motorway: Leave at Junction 7 and take A34 towards Birmingham (NOT towards Walsall)

Continue along the A34 for about 2 miles, then turn left into Church Road (just past the Alexander Stadium)

Aston Manor CC is on the left hand side of Church Road, just past some flats.

On 11/4/2021 at 5:30 PM, brianbuck said:

A meeting crucial to the future of Birmingham Speedway has been arranged for Tuesday November 16th at 7pm, at Aston Manor Cricket Club, Church Lane, Perry Barr, at which the leader of the consortium seeking to take over the promotion, will outline their plans and will answer questions from supporters.

Everyone, whether a Brummies supporter or a supporter of any other club, is invited to attend.

Hope that everything goes well Brian. We don't want to lose any more Tracks.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Wishing you all the best. I was a regular at Perry Barr in the late 70s, along with Cradley and Wolves. I know how much speedway needs a beating Midlands heart. The Brummies are too important to lose again. 

It's amazing how quickly these situations change though ;-)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the good wishes Rob, which are much appreciated.

Hope things are progressing well with your Rye House campaign.

After my last visit to Perry Barr I called time. I was made to feel unwanted and not welcome. Very cold very hungry and utterly despondent. I only wanted my flask and a sandwich....no chance. Fried rubbish or nothing....bye bye Brummies.

1 hour ago, Pieman72 said:

After my last visit to Perry Barr I called time. I was made to feel unwanted and not welcome. 

Why what happened? 

Probably the 'security' men employed by the stadium, who confiscated food and drink, and searched your bags to see if you were smuggling any in ... they (all 10 of them!) were nothing to do with the speedway promotion. After a couple of times, I just ignored them on entry. Hopefully, we wont have them next year if the Brummies go ahead.

Still amazes me how people can’t go  less than three hours without food. The bar serve free tap water with ice by the pint if you get thirsty.

18 hours ago, Deano said:

Why what happened? 

We were stopped from going in the bar for a pint and a warm and reduced to a hole in the wall serving £4-50 lager plus stodge and chips. It was made clear we couldn't consume something healthy brought by ourselves plus my wife is a type 1 diabetic. The racing was poor and viewing constricted. Having spent years attending the most basic stadiums and fields watching Grasstrack it was a dreadful experience. For a new or occasional supporter they would never return. The stadium and speedway are separate entities but it's up the to the speedway team to negotiate something that make the paying fans welcome and wanted. I won't be returning. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Deano said:

Still amazes me how people can’t go  less than three hours without food. The bar serve free tap water with ice by the pint if you get thirsty.

You are a star a lot of people travel long distance to see speedway and require sustenance less than three hours don't think so. My wife is a type 1 diabetic and has to consume food to keep her sugars staple. I was on the road and needed something to eat and drink other than from a hole in the wall. I'd have gone in the bar if I'd have been allowed too. Enough said.

19 minutes ago, Pieman72 said:

You are a star a lot of people travel long distance to see speedway and require sustenance less than three hours don't think so. My wife is a type 1 diabetic and has to consume food to keep her sugars staple. I was on the road and needed something to eat and drink other than from a hole in the wall. I'd have gone in the bar if I'd have been allowed too. Enough said.

That’s awful and I’m sorry to read that. Stadium owners can be very thick when it comes to hospitality.

That's fine mate  don't worry. A lot of the clientele at Birmingham are rather old and rather poor and it's disgusting to treat anyone like that let alone someone who has probably forked out more than they spend on food. Absolutely disgusting I don't think there is much hope for continuation. I have dealt with companies like that in the past and usually they are in financial difficulties and are desperate.

Lots of stadiums have this ridiculous no food or drink ruling. A lot of football stadiums play the non violence card saying that full bottles can be used as weapons, so take them away but then when you get in the ground they are selling drink!

Alot of people with specific dietary requirements, health issues, oldies (myself included) don't/can't eat unfrozen cheap fastfood or fizzy drinks stodge so need to take food and drink with them.

I know King's Lynn have this rule (whether it is enforced more at stock cars than speedway I'm not sure ) which doesn't effect myself cause I don't go there nowadays but if I ever did decide to go back and was refused entry cause I had a bottle of water of some light refreshments then I'd ask for my admission money back and go home, probably never to return!

Back to the subject matter - good luck in saving the Birmingham Brummies. If the consortium pulls this off then it may work out better than the Masons era cause living that far from the track you promote at like David and Peter did can't always be conducive to the tracks well being?

Edited by 25yearfan
  • Like 3