British Speedway Forum
JanAndersen

British Speedway

1 hour ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

F-S-P obviously hasn't got a clue how speedway is run. An individual cannot just contact his local club and say “ I want to run a training session “. The promoter is the only person who can run events on his track, he has to be present, it has to be insured , qualified medical personal in attendance and will need a track curator. Anybody conducting ‘ training ‘ is supposed to vetted and competent ( insurance companies insistence ) and that’s just the basics.

Then we can discuss smaller crowds !

So had I written ”contact the local promoter” instead of club it would have been ok? It makes me smile reading that I just cant ring a promoter in the UK and tell him I want to organise a training day. Why the heck not? If I had the money I’d call Lemon tomorrow :lol:

I dont know everything about how speedway is run in the UK, but I know enough. Think my first post mentioned also finding the money that is necessary to run the said training session.

I know how speedway is run and how it operates over here, and contacting the local club would be the first step in order to organise a training day or school or whatever…

5 hours ago, f-s-p said:

So had I written ”contact the local promoter” instead of club it would have been ok? It makes me smile reading that I just cant ring a promoter in the UK and tell him I want to organise a training day. Why the heck not? If I had the money I’d call Lemon tomorrow :lol:

I dont know everything about how speedway is run in the UK, but I know enough. Think my first post mentioned also finding the money that is necessary to run the said training session.

I know how speedway is run and how it operates over here, and contacting the local club would be the first step in order to organise a training day or school or whatever…

For most tracks in the UK regular practice sessions and or coaching events are nigh on impossible

Only a handful have few if any restrictions of use

My local track for example (Ipswich) are limited not only by landlord expectations but also local authority restrictions 

The stadium is only allowed to hold a maximum number of events each year *can't recall the exact number but it may well be less than 1 a week on average

There is then a restriction of no more than 2 events in any 8 day period as well as limitations as to what times and for how long the event takes place

Get over any of that and you then have the fact that the landlord would want in excess of £3000 to open the doors

• Like 4

7 hours ago, f-s-p said:

Very different in UK though.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, f-s-p said:

No, because of unlimited restrictions on UK tracks with stadium use, days they can operate and how many times etc. Life in UK speedway just isn’t that simple.

On 11/6/2021 at 8:51 PM, JanAndersen said:

Is that directed at me? Odd take. 

Well done Jan it's great to see a rider who has such an interest and committent to British Speedway. Speedway supporters tend to be a bit inward and hit out because you are touching on the realities related to the difficult position British speedway finds itself in. British Speedway promoters have always been  remote and aloof and personally rather slippery that's why we are in the position. What you are saying is so right everyone needs to pull together else we will loose what is a wonderful spectacle and sport.

Edited by Pieman72
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Don't think that's the speedway rider,,, otherwise he would know how to spell his name correctly

Was always spelled that way in the programme in my day. 

On 11/7/2021 at 9:28 AM, *JJ said:

Not actually true. I spent 5 years driving a would-be speedway rider around. We had to go half way across the country to get a few rides - there was no or very little coaching - which was very annoying when there was a speedway track only two miles down the road!  Too many tracks are in greyhound stadiums which allow speedway only once a week.

I had the same experience as you.

When my son took an interest in riding we contacted our local track (Poole) to enquire how he could get started and where he could receive training and they couldn't offer any advice except that they thought Reading had training sessions (at the time) but you would need all your own equipment. That's a big investment to make to find out it's not for you after a couple of outings.

I only later found out through a work colleague who did amateur speedway about Sittingbourne (Iwade) where we could hire equipment and get training initially. After that I spent a lot of time driving lots of miles to amateur events or practice days where you just queue up for track time.

I was disappointed that a major club couldn't even point us in the right direction. 

On 11/8/2021 at 1:13 PM, HackneyHawk said:

So if there were more 'domestic' riders  then this would save speedway?

Isn't the fact that no-one comes anymore and/or most stadiums are under threat of closure the most pressing problem???????????

I think if there were more domestic riders who were a major force on the world stage like in the past it would possibly generate more interest.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

I had the same experience as you.

When my son took an interest in riding we contacted our local track (Poole) to enquire how he could get started and where he could receive training and they couldn't offer any advice except that they thought Reading had training sessions (at the time) but you would need all your own equipment. That's a big investment to make to find out it's not for you after a couple of outings.

I only later found out through a work colleague who did amateur speedway about Sittingbourne (Iwade) where we could hire equipment and get training initially. After that I spent a lot of time driving lots of miles to amateur events or practice days where you just queue up for track time.

I was disappointed that a major club couldn't even point us in the right direction. 

I think if there were more domestic riders who were a major force on the world stage like in the past it would possibly generate more interest.

Guess by then the famous Lew Coffin school had closed ?

But I would guess some did approach the promoter to run training schools

Ivan Mauger and Olle Nygren spring to mind

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iris123 said:

Guess by then the famous Lew Coffin school had closed ?

But I would guess some did approach the promoter to run training schools

Ivan Mauger and Olle Nygren spring to mind

Yes Lew used to run training schools at Weymouth but as you say not at the time my lad started. We did get a couple of practice days in at Weymouth though before it closed down completely but little in the way of tuition. It was just pay your money and queue at the pit gate. Interestingly though, my lads first 500 was a Jawa 898 which had been converted to a laydown by Lew Coffin.

The Iwade set up is a great facility and I always wondered why the bigger clubs didn't support it more.

I understand that the big clubs don't always have access to their own stadiums except for on race nights but If amateur clubs can hire training tracks to run meetings then why couldn't  the bigger clubs hire them to run junior leagues etc with riders on hand for tuition etc?  

I keep hearing how expensive it is to get into speedway but really it isn't at grassroots level. You don't have to spend a fortune to find out if you're good enough to pursue it seriously.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

Yes Lew used to run training schools at Weymouth but as you say not at the time my lad started. We did get a couple of practice days in at Weymouth though before it closed down completely but little in the way of tuition. It was just pay your money and queue at the pit gate. Interestingly though, my lads first 500 was a Jawa 898 which had been converted to a laydown by Lew Coffin.

The Iwade set up is a great facility and I always wondered why the bigger clubs didn't support it more.

I understand that the big clubs don't always have access to their own stadiums except for on race nights but If amateur clubs can hire training tracks to run meetings then why couldn't  the bigger clubs hire them to run junior leagues etc with riders on hand for tuition etc?  

I keep hearing how expensive it is to get into speedway but really it isn't at grassroots level. You don't have to spend a fortune to find out if you're good enough to pursue it seriously.

Yes one of my extended family started out at the Isle of Wight and Iwade, but gave up after a year or so to concentrate on playing for Crystal Palace youths

6 minutes ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

when i was at Canterbury the track was limited with number of events so they had practice at Iwade, and we had p&p at Arena Essex at least one year too.

Graham Arnold was a big Canterbury supporter and went on to own the Iwade track

• Like 1

Has anyone noticed the silence emanating from riders and promoters?

6 minutes ago, Pieman72 said:

Has anyone noticed the silence emanating from riders and promoters?

Not sure what you are expecting ?

Probably because they , the promoters, aren’t supposed to announce any news from the AGM meetings until there’s been an official press release.

As for Riders, most are advised to keep stum until the club issues it’s release.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Not sure what you are expecting ?

Probably because they , the promoters, aren’t supposed to announce any news from the AGM meetings until there’s been an official press release.

As for Riders, most are advised to keep stum until the club issues it’s release.

Why are you protecting the promoters and riders we who pay their wages and keep the sport afloat  expect more. I think your living in the 1970's !!