British Speedway Forum
JanAndersen

British Speedway

It's a very big subject and there is no single thing that can be done to fix everything but to do nothing is not an option. Every owner of a club must be applauded for getting through this season as nobody could realistically have seen Covid coming and nobody knew what the crowd numbers would be like coming out of lockdowns... BUT, I still think much could be done to actually promote the sport which just doesn't seem to be happening at the moment. I can only speak for Leicester, but I live local to the track and you would not know anything was going on in the city as regards to Speedway other than an advert I see on the side of a bus. There's a shopping centre within a few hundred feet of the arena with a massive foot fall, yet I have never seen anything promoting Leicester Speedway in there. Why isn't there a rider and machine displaying there on match day giving away discounted tickets? It's really simple things like this that just aren't being done.

Also when were you last attracted to a match to see "rider x"? Since all of the "stars" have left British Speedway I can't recall ever thinking to myself "I must go to the Speedway tonight to see..." whoever, probably the last time I thought that was Darcy Ward in 2015. And now it seems that any star that is produced works their way to the top and then out of the sport in this country. If you're not going to have star riders to attract crowds then all you have are teams and at the moment they just aren't credible. I would be more than happy to watch  even weaker teams than we have at the moment as long as they are credible, if that means watering down the league then so be it.

The fans should have a voice somewhere, especially regarding the race night experience, if the first you know about fans not being happy is them not attending then it's too late.

I could go on... but it's all bee said before.

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Sad thing is there is plenty of opportunity for young riders to practice and train just a lack of people wanting to do it 

Not actually true. I spent 5 years driving a would-be speedway rider around. We had to go half way across the country to get a few rides - there was no or very little coaching - which was very annoying when there was a speedway track only two miles down the road!  Too many tracks are in greyhound stadiums which allow speedway only once a week.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, *JJ said:

Not actually true. I spent 5 years driving a would-be speedway rider around. We had to go half way across the country to get a few rides - there was no or very little coaching - which was very annoying when there was a speedway track only two miles down the road!  Too many tracks are in greyhound stadiums which allow speedway only once a week.

Your experience is different to ours training with Wayne Carter ,Amsa and numerous practice sessions at a track 15 minutes from home don't disagree about the mileage but it's a decision made when starting in the sport we all know which tracks can and will run and offer training and practice.

The sad thing is that the sport does not excite enough people to turn out and watch it. Why anyone would bother with the hassle of running a club only to look out on race night at a few hundred hardy souls standing watching, is anyone’s guess. On the other side if you want a decent return on the time invested in running a track then you only have to look at bangers and stock cars. A prime example would be the meeting at Kings Lynn on the 31st October. How speedway would like a crowd like that at a meeting. Tinkering around at the edges is not going to work. The sport requires extensive surgery and a long period to build back up. Poland is only going to make life more difficult and with riders able to earn a reasonable living and commute by road to a nearby country for extra club meetings, why bother flying in and out of the U.K. with all the hassle. So whilst training new British talent is essential that in itself does not solve the fundamental problem that the sport simply has little appeal and no serious sponsors at domestic level and is incapable of attracting decent crowds on a weekly basis to watch a league meeting in which you have a pool of riders thrown together under the banner of a club name who the following night are riding for another track/club. 

• Like 3

Is SGP4 the answer?

"The Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM) and Discovery Sports Events have revealed their vision for the future of Speedway over the next decade. By bringing international Speedway together under one global promoter for the first time, the new vision will build a stronger and more connected international pyramid for the sport – from the grassroots all the way to the pinnacle of Speedway. Important part of this pyramid will be a new international entry-level category SGP4. The new SGP4 category will be introduced in 2023 and is planned to be cost effective with 4-stroke easy to handle engine that will be universal and equal everywhere. The Ambassador Tony Rickardsson is on the mission to develop the SGP4 category."

You'd at least hope that the promoters are arranging to meet with Tony Rickardsson. 

It's not clear what the level of SGP4 "grassroots" is. You'd naturally feel that it's lower than SGP3 which wouldn't be a suitable product for the paying public but if you interpret it as being standard 500cc machinery then it's probably about a National League standard. A stepping stone from youth classes into the professional leagues. 

A sustainable pyramid is what is required.   

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Trees said:

British speedway and it's clubs are in such precarious positions that it's impossible to have long term plans, promoters have to plan season to season?  Of course they'd all love to have long term, big TV deals, long term, big money sponsorship deals etc etc but they don't exist for them?

And never will whilst their operating model allows any rider to ride for any team at any given time...

Unsurprisingly. Zero credibility brings Zero interest from major sponsors...

When even winning a title means so little, it will always be a hand to mouth, constantly changing, year on year existence...

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, enotian said:

Is SGP4 the answer?

"The Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM) and Discovery Sports Events have revealed their vision for the future of Speedway over the next decade. By bringing international Speedway together under one global promoter for the first time, the new vision will build a stronger and more connected international pyramid for the sport – from the grassroots all the way to the pinnacle of Speedway. Important part of this pyramid will be a new international entry-level category SGP4. The new SGP4 category will be introduced in 2023 and is planned to be cost effective with 4-stroke easy to handle engine that will be universal and equal everywhere. The Ambassador Tony Rickardsson is on the mission to develop the SGP4 category."

You'd at least hope that the promoters are arranging to meet with Tony Rickardsson. 

It's not clear what the level of SGP4 "grassroots" is. You'd naturally feel that it's lower than SGP3 which wouldn't be a suitable product for the paying public but if you interpret it as being standard 500cc machinery then it's probably about a National League standard. A stepping stone from youth classes into the professional leagues. 

A sustainable pyramid is what is required.   

It is my understanding that Sgp 4 will be 125/150 class Sgp 3 will be 250 class

I am sure the "powers that be" will get around that table at the AGM and sort everything out. Make it better for the fans, better for the riders and a better T.V aspect. I think perhaps the answer could be to bring back the green helmet colour and change the points given out for a win - maybe 10 points for a win if the track is wet and it would definitely make it more exciting if the riders had to use a bigger pit mat!!! Unfortunately that is about the only level of thinking the BSPL have - Charge the riders, sod the fans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

It is my understanding that Sgp 4 will be 125/150 class Sgp 3 will be 250 class

Yes that would make sense. So probably not a solution to the "paid for" product (other than as an add on to the main event) but hopefully a potential solution to the rider supply and demand issue. 

Although I imagine that transition from youth racing to professional league racing is expensive so it would be interesting to see if DSE have any plans to facilitate that. If they're serious about developing the sport internationally they need to create opportunities for those SGP4 and SGP3 riders to progress.  Maybe that's the leverage for UK promoters to get more access to SGP riders or access to have some of these developing riders subsidised if the domestic leagues provide opportunities for them to develop. A career path. Afterall it is the SGP right holders who ultimately benefit from having access to higher standard riders from a wider geographical area.

Sounds like DSE want to have more say over the riding talent and not let the Polish authorities rule the roost. So it could be a good time to get in bed with them. 

On 11/7/2021 at 10:01 AM, phillwhitewasmad said:

Your experience is different to ours training with Wayne Carter ,Amsa and numerous practice sessions at a track 15 minutes from home don't disagree about the mileage but it's a decision made when starting in the sport we all know which tracks can and will run and offer training and practice.

Yes indeed, Wayne Carter was excellent, but he seemed to be one of the few. Andrew Silver was helpful, as well, but generally speaking, the rider stood in a queue until it was time to go out on track and find out how to ride by himself. We live in Birmingham:  Scunthorpe, Kings Lynn and Rye House are about 120 miles away ... Leicester is only about 60, but it was annoying that the Birmingham promotion had no interest in training whatever.

A former 1st division rider pulled me in at Felton and asked me what i did for a living. It was an office job and he gave up on me thereafter even though i was 19 and proficient in several physical sports (i was fitter than him thats for sure, and stronger). Ken Marshall on the other hand was very encouraging. 

On 11/6/2021 at 8:41 PM, f-s-p said:

Stop complaining on what other people do. Contact your local track and start organising practise sessions for youngsters between 14-20 on 500cc bikes. If the club wont finance it, find the money yourself and DO IT.

Lack of domestic riders in the UK is the very basic problem of speedway, been that way for 30 years. 

So if there were more 'domestic' riders  then this would save speedway?

Isn't the fact that no-one comes anymore and/or most stadiums are under threat of closure the most pressing problem???????????

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, HackneyHawk said:

Isn't the fact that no-one comes anymore and/or most stadiums are under threat of closure the most pressing problem???????????

F-S-P obviously hasn't got a clue how speedway is run. An individual cannot just contact his local club and say “ I want to run a training session “. The promoter is the only person who can run events on his track, he has to be present, it has to be insured , qualified medical personal in attendance and will need a track curator. Anybody conducting ‘ training ‘ is supposed to vetted and competent ( insurance companies insistence ) and that’s just the basics.

Then we can discuss smaller crowds !

Edited by Fortythirtyeight

On 11/7/2021 at 10:01 AM, phillwhitewasmad said:

I too have ridden with Wayne Carter, on Scunny's mini track and the main circuit (gulp !) and found him friendly, helpful, very knowledgable as you would expect and has a good sense of humour without being at all condescending or insulting, which helps if (when) progress doesn't go as planned or the ground keeps coming up to meet you (!).  He has plenty of time for everyone and equally importantly he asks what riders are hoping to achieve; from just having fun, riding round the track without the ground hitting you (!), getting a full slide on (yay!) to taking on the likes of Laguta, Tai, Smazlik, etc.  He then helps each rider make steady & safe progress at their own pace.  Speaking as I find, I can highly reccomend a day 'skidding with Wayne' and promised to myself one day hope to do so again.  One day....

Edited by martinmauger
added skid info

1 hour ago, HackneyHawk said:

It would seriously alter the cost stucture of the teams and I dare say it would be cheaper to run a team of 5-2 in favour of own riders than the other way around. Also in my theory locals would come see local riders.

The way things are currently heading with covid, travel, speedway on the continent and brexit, IMO there is no return to how things were five years ago. With this I mean the supply of foreign riders to ride and/or base themselves in the UK is not increasing.

So more domestic/british riders, more locals, cheaper teams, bigger crowds.