Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iainb

3,2,1,0 or 6,4,2,1 or 4,3,2,1 or 5,3,2,1

Has Speedway always used the 3,2,1,0 heat scoring system in team matches? It has for as long as I can remember. We had the dreaded double points for a few seasons and thankfully that is just a bad memory now.

Would a 6,4,2,1 scoring system not be a more radical scoring system? There would be a bigger incentive for riders to achieve a better result, I suppose you could have some run away wins with this system though if a team scored a succession of 10-3's!

5,3,2,1 would incentivise heat winners.

I do think that riders finishing last should be awarded a point though. Obviously it's not something that's going to save Speedway but it always annoys me when I see a rider just quitting at the back and pulling onto the infield, Nick Pedersen always used to be one for this.

The only merit in the options is rewarding a finisher over a retirement or exclusion

Both those that put 2 points between 1st and 2nd just make heat winners most important so would mean top heavy unbalanced teams being favoured 

On a balance if any change is worthwhile it would be to 4 3 2 1

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

The only merit in the options is rewarding a finisher over a retirement or exclusion

Both those that put 2 points between 1st and 2nd just make heat winners most important so would mean top heavy unbalanced teams being favoured 

There's absolutely no point in change with 4-3-2-1. It's exactly the same as the current one. 

Personally, league racing should remain the same, but all Cup matches (ko cup, SON etc) the scoring system shouldn't allow for draws & never benefit 2nd & 3rd.

League - 3-2-1-0

Cup - 6-3-2-0

Trying to win races has to be priority for me. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

There's absolutely no point in change with 4-3-2-1. It's exactly the same as the current one. 

But you get 0 for last at the moment, no incentive to keep going when you're at the back. 

2 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Agreed.  1 point for finishing the race would avoid those "retired whilst last" and would add to the controversy over an exclusion. If you think about it from a riders perspective if you score 0 points for last and don't earn any (additional) money or contribute to the team score, then why would you complete the four laps, if there was little chance of passing the rider in third? I guess it's all marginal but by retiring whilst last you save on wear and tear on the machinery and fuel. It might even give you (your team) an advantage if your tyres have done less laps.

I'm sure the extra 4 points per heat can be structured into the pay rates so that the riders earn the same and it doesn't cost the promoters more.

40 minutes ago, Bavarian said:

keep it simple - no need for change - 3, 2, 1, 0 is best

why is 3, 2, 1, 0 simpler than 4, 3, 2, 1? The answer is it's not. 

50 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Personally, league racing should remain the same, but all Cup matches (ko cup, SON etc) the scoring system shouldn't allow for draws & never benefit 2nd & 3rd.

League - 3-2-1-0

Cup - 6-3-2-0

Trying to win races has to be priority for me. 

The point for finishing would mean some consequence for a 'professional foul' of dropping it when in the wrong end of a 5-1 to get a re-run

1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

The point for finishing would mean some consequence for a 'professional foul' of dropping it when in the wrong end of a 5-1 to get a re-run

But their team would still pay them if they did “a Pontus” and dropped it.

Who is going to pay for the increase in points?

THE FANS!

2 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

Who is going to pay for the increase in points?

THE FANS!

I'm hoping that's a tongue in cheek post. 

Everything is relative so if there's two thirds more points available the pay per point can decrease. So if you were on £100 a point and earned £1,500 for a 15 point maximum, you'd now earn £1,500 for a 20 maximum at £75 per point. Maybe you'd need to adjust the guaranteed pay as 0 * £100 is £0 while 1 * £75 is £75. Importantly the riders aren't being asked to do anything more than they currently are so there'd be no increase in pay required.

I've only responded because your response it probably exactly what the promoters will think.  Feel free to whoosh me.

10 hours ago, iainb said:

Has Speedway always used the 3,2,1,0 heat scoring system in team matches? It has for as long as I can remember. We had the dreaded double points for a few seasons and thankfully that is just a bad memory now.

Would a 6,4,2,1 scoring system not be a more radical scoring system? There would be a bigger incentive for riders to achieve a better result, I suppose you could have some run away wins with this system though if a team scored a succession of 10-3's!

5,3,2,1 would incentivise heat winners.

I do think that riders finishing last should be awarded a point though. Obviously it's not something that's going to save Speedway but it always annoys me when I see a rider just quitting at the back and pulling onto the infield, Nick Pedersen always used to be one for this.

IMO, in team racing you should only get a point for each opposition rider you're placed ahead of. Thus a 5-1 would be 4-0, a 4-2 would be 3-1 and a 3-3 would be a 2-2.

It would put paid to the nonsense of paid points, and teams still getting a point for finishing last.

3-2-1-0 is fine for individual meetings.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, iainb said:

But you get 0 for last at the moment, no incentive to keep going when you're at the back. 

The incentive is that someone in front may retire and then the person in last place would be gifted a point.

23 minutes ago, Skodaman said:

The incentive is that someone in front may retire and then the person in last place would be gifted a point.

That's not really an incentive though, that's just chance. If you are guaranteed a point for finishing the race, that's incentive to do 4 laps.

If you are often in last place then the incentive is to keep trying - or risk losing your team place!!

On 11/7/2021 at 12:37 PM, enotian said:

Agreed.  1 point for finishing the race would avoid those "retired whilst last" and would add to the controversy over an exclusion. If you think about it from a riders perspective if you score 0 points for last and don't earn any (additional) money or contribute to the team score, then why would you complete the four laps, if there was little chance of passing the rider in third? I guess it's all marginal but by retiring whilst last you save on wear and tear on the machinery and fuel. It might even give you (your team) an advantage if your tyres have done less laps.

I'm sure the extra 4 points per heat can be structured into the pay rates so that the riders earn the same and it doesn't cost the promoters more.

why is 3, 2, 1, 0 simpler than 4, 3, 2, 1? The answer is it's not. 

That's just change for change sake, leave it as it is it's not an issue.

• Like 1