British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
norbold

Norwich WSRA Lunch

I had a great day at the WSRA annual Norwich lunch today. Met up with some old friends, including Ove Fundin, Bert Harkins, Trevor Hedge, Tony Hurren (Hawkeye) and Terry Ripo (former Hackney and Mildenhall announcer).

Other illustrious names at the lunch included Cyril Crane, Richard Greer, James Easter, Billy Bales, Ray Bales, Rob Hollingworth, Dingle Brown, Gavin Hedge, Dave Gagen, Graham Miles, Ollie Allen, Dave Allen and the great, the one and only, Buzz Burrows.

Good food, good company and, best of all, I won first prize in the raffle!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, norbold said:

Good food, good company and, best of all, I won first prize in the raffle!

What was first prize; a copy of Pie 'n' Mash and Prefabs? :rofl:

• Haha 1

Just wish I could have been there Norman, how was Billy Bales  doing-hope his health is ok. I recall in the Speedway Star preview of the British Final in 1964-it said that young Billy could have a hard time qualifying  for the World Final that year. I recall talking to Billy - a really nice guy..

6 hours ago, chunky said:

What was first prize; a copy of Pie 'n' Mash and Prefabs? :rofl:

Actually one of my books was one of the prizes (Speedway in the South East), but as first out of the hat, I got to choose out of the vast array of prizes on offer...

6 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Just wish I could have been there Norman, how was Billy Bales  doing-hope his health is ok. I recall in the Speedway Star preview of the British Final in 1964-it said that young Billy could have a hard time qualifying  for the World Final that year. I recall talking to Billy - a really nice guy..

Billy seemed in fine form, BOBBATH. 92 now, but still active. Are you sure that was 1964? "Young" Billy had qualified for the World Final back in 1955.

Ove (88 years old) was also in fine form. He is still so incredibly fit. I asked him if he was thinking of making a comeback for Sweden after their disastrous performance in the SoN. He said he might just as well as Sweden have no good riders any more. I mentioned Freddie Lindgren. He said the problem with Freddie is that one day he is one of the best riders in the world, the next he is hopeless and you just can't rely on someone like that.

Hi Norman, yes it was 1964, I know that Billy was in the WF in 1955 and the Speedway Star 1964 BF preview indeed said that its been a long time  since "young" Billy got this far-the journalist went on to predict that  no he didn't think Bill could make it after all this time and he was right-Billy didn't qualify. As you remember I'm sure, the big upset of the 1964 British Final was the non qualification of Brian Brett. As I recall though the Star's prediction was pretty accurate except for saying Brian was a possible winner and a definite qualifier-I think they also thought that Cyril Maidment was unlikely to make it -though he did qualify. Some great names in that 1964 British Final- I'll have to get my old copy of the Star and take a trip down memory lane.

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2021 at 3:06 PM, BOBBATH said:

Hi Norman, yes it was 1964, I know that Billy was in the WF in 1955 and the Speedway Star 1964 BF preview indeed said that its been a long time  since "young" Billy got this far-the journalist went on to predict that  no he didn't think Bill could make it after all this time and he was right-Billy didn't qualify. As you remember I'm sure, the big upset of the 1964 British Final was the non qualification of Brian Brett. As I recall though the Star's prediction was pretty accurate except for saying Brian was a possible winner and a definite qualifier-I think they also thought that Cyril Maidment was unlikely to make it -though he did qualify. Some great names in that 1964 British Final- I'll have to get my old copy of the Star and take a trip down memory lane.

1 New Zealand (15) Barry Briggs 15       3     3     3           3 3       15 1  
2 Scotland (9) Ken McKinlay 14     3   3           3         2   3     14 2  
3 United Kingdom (7) Ron How 12   3         2         3 2         2     12 3  
4 United Kingdom (6) Cyril Maidment 11   1       3     3             1     3   11 4  
5 United Kingdom (16) Mike Broadbanks 11       2       3 2           3     1     11 5  
6 New Zealand (3) Bob Andrews 10 3           1       2       2       2   10 6  
7 United Kingdom (8) Nigel Boocock 8   2           1     0     3     2       8 7  
8 United Kingdom (5) Dick Fisher 7   F     2         1         1         3 7 8  
9 United Kingdom (2) Jim Lightfoot 6 2         0       2       2       0     6 9  
10 United Kingdom (12) Trevor Hedge 5     2         2   0     0           1   5 10  
11 United Kingdom (4) Ron Mountford 5 1             0       2       0       2 5 11  
12 United Kingdom (10) Jimmy Gooch 4     0     2           1     0   1       4 12  
13 Australia (14) Bryan Elliott 4       F   1         1   1             1 4 13  
14 United Kingdom (11) Billy Bales 3     1       0   1         1           0 3 14  
15 United Kingdom (1) Brian Brett 2 0       X       0       2       0       2 15  
16 United Kingdom (13) Tadeusz Teodorowicz 2       1 1             0   0         0   2 16  
R1 United Kingdom (R1) Ronnie Genz 0                                         0 R1  
R2 United Kingdom (R2) Colin Gooddy 0                                         0 R2
  • Like 1

P.S. It's interesting that Bryan Elliot is listed as Australian and Bob Andrews as a New Zealander both having won England caps earlier in their careers.

Edited by Split

1 hour ago, Split said:

P.S. It's interesting that Bryan Elliot is listed as Australian and Bob Andrews as a New Zealander both having won England caps earlier in their careers.

Bryan was still English when he represented his country in the final test against Australia at Adelaide in the 1967-68 series.  Bob represented 'England' in two unofficial pairs events in New Zealand early in 1967 after he had emigrated, although he may have been guesting by that time as his partner for England was New Zealander Colin Tucker.  Bob top-scored for New Zealand in the test series against England in 1967-68.

Hi Split-thanks for posting the British Final 64 stats. One thing I'm confused (not for the first time) about- in Ron How's 4th race you show him finishing 2nd- is that right because in the same race it shows Brett finishing second also, Elliott third and young Trevor Hedge as fourth. Don't think that can be right-should it show Ron as getting three points not two and finishing up with 13- just one point behind Ken McKinlay. I do remember Brett getting two points -after  being one of the favourites. There is a famous photo of him sitting on his ass (excuse me) after  his fall in his second ride. Incidentally of the 16 riders in that meeting - I think the only ones still with us are Lightfoot, Bales, Broadbank, Briggs, Andrews and Hedge-the other 10 + 2 reserves have passed.

2 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Hi Split-thanks for posting the British Final 64 stats. One thing I'm confused (not for the first time) about- in Ron How's 4th race you show him finishing 2nd- is that right because in the same race it shows Brett finishing second also, Elliott third and young Trevor Hedge as fourth. Don't think that can be right-should it show Ron as getting three points not two and finishing up with 13- just one point behind Ken McKinlay. I do remember Brett getting two points -after  being one of the favourites.

Well, the info I have is that Ron finished on 13, so I assume that is a typo...

On 11/13/2021 at 3:48 PM, Split said:
1 New Zealand (15) Barry Briggs 15       3     3     3           3 3       15 1  
2 Scotland (9) Ken McKinlay 14     3   3           3         2   3     14 2  
3 United Kingdom (7) Ron How 12   3         2         3 2         2     12 3  
4 United Kingdom (6) Cyril Maidment 11   1       3     3             1     3   11 4  
5 United Kingdom (16) Mike Broadbanks 11       2       3 2           3     1     11 5  
6 New Zealand (3) Bob Andrews 10 3           1       2       2       2   10 6  
7 United Kingdom (8) Nigel Boocock 8   2           1     0     3     2       8 7  
8 United Kingdom (5) Dick Fisher 7   F     2         1         1         3 7 8  
9 United Kingdom (2) Jim Lightfoot 6 2         0       2       2       0     6 9  
10 United Kingdom (12) Trevor Hedge 5     2         2   0     0           1   5 10  
11 United Kingdom (4) Ron Mountford 5 1             0       2       0       2 5 11  
12 United Kingdom (10) Jimmy Gooch 4     0     2           1     0   1       4 12  
13 Australia (14) Bryan Elliott 4       F   1         1   1             1 4 13  
14 United Kingdom (11) Billy Bales 3     1       0   1         1           0 3 14  
15 United Kingdom (1) Brian Brett 2 0       X       0       2       0       2 15  
16 United Kingdom (13) Tadeusz Teodorowicz 2       1 1             0   0         0   2 16  
R1 United Kingdom (R1) Ronnie Genz 0                                         0 R1  
R2 United Kingdom (R2) Colin Gooddy 0                                         0 R2

Ken McKinlay is often forgotten when one talks about quality riders. He had a career that over many years proved that he was a force both at domestic and world level. One of my first heroes although past his best when he rode for the "Rebels" during my first season (1972)

• Like 2

How would forumlanders rank Ken McKinlay v. Ron How??

44 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

Persionally I would rank Ken above Ron based upon his longevity (although Ron was before my time) Happy to know that both rode for Oxford during their careers.

1 hour ago, BOBBATH said:

Dead heat!