British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
norbold

Norwich WSRA Lunch

I think I agree with Norbold on this.-Ron How led the usual no-hopers of Oxford to be the last ever NL Champs. I saw Ron ride at Somerton Park in his first ever appearance there it was in 1965-he scored a 15 point max on a difficult track that he'd never seen before and who knows how much longer he could have gone  if he hadn't had a career ending injury in 1965 (can't recall which track that occurred on)-does anyone recall which it was?

2 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

…. if he hadn't had a career ending injury in 1965 (can't recall which track that occurred on)-does anyone recall which it was?

It was at Wimbledon when riding for England v. Soviet Union in a Test match.

15 minutes ago, norbold said:

It was at Wimbledon when riding for England v. Soviet Union in a Test match.

It was Great Britain, not England, although there were two Englishmen in the team (Nigel Boocock and How).  Two Scots (George Hunter and Ken McKinlay) an Australian (Charlie Monk) and a New Zealander (Barry Briggs) completed the 'home' team.  Two other Englishmen were reserves (Trevor Hedge and Reg Luckhurst, both of Wimbledon) and they shared How's rides after he was injured.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BL65 said:

It was Great Britain, not England, although there were two Englishmen in the team (Nigel Boocock and How).  Two Scots (George Hunter and Ken McKinlay) an Australian (Charlie Monk) and a New Zealander (Barry Briggs) completed the 'home' team.  Two other Englishmen were reserves (Trevor Hedge and Reg Luckhurst, both of Wimbledon) and they shared How's rides after he was injured.

Thanks for the correction, BL. Yes, of course, you are right.

Great post BL-also Norbold your post was only 7 minutes ago UK time-what are you still doing up at this late hour??? I am staying up tonight to watch the Canada- Mexico World Cup game-assume you must be planning the same --it starts at 1:30 a.m. your time. 

12 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

I think I agree with Norbold on this.-Ron How led the usual no-hopers of Oxford to be the last ever NL Champs. I saw Ron ride at Somerton Park in his first ever appearance there it was in 1965-he scored a 15 point max on a difficult track that he'd never seen before and who knows how much longer he could have gone  if he hadn't had a career ending injury in 1965 (can't recall which track that occurred on)-does anyone recall which it was?

Personally I think that Oxford would have been one of the major players during the late seventies if they hadn't moved on to White City due to the proposed sale of Sandy Lane (later rescued by the SOS Committee at the time). They had a more than useful side in 1975 and I believe would have built upon that. Dag Lovaas may well have not cut short his career after his move to Wood Lane. Both Richard Greer and John Dews were more than capable performers around Cowley but never settled at White City. Oxford's tie up with Eastbourne and Peterborough would have strengthened their cause with the likes of Weatherly, Gachet, Dugard, Sampson, Clark et al waiting in the wings. Okay they did go on to win the title at White City but despite Bob Radford's wild claims that team had little resemblance to the 1974 side that he was part of (albeit only for half a season) never mind the 1975 side. All pure conjecture I know but Oxford was a sleeping giant waiting to be waken but the opportunity was taken away from them only to re-surface during the 80's and those glorious Nielsen years!

21 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Of course Ron How was the star but I think even without him the "no-hopers" would have been contenders. Genz, Goody, Geran, Pander and Gooch were all heat leader class and one of Reeves and Bishop could have stepped up.

The distinction between the England and so-called Great Britain teams of the past was pointed out in an earlier post. I'm going from memory here (dangerous for a 74 year old) but I think that Scotland's Ken Mckinlay did represent England in the  early days of the World Team Cup.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Split said:

Of course Ron How was the star but I think even without him the "no-hopers" would have been contenders. Genz, Goody, Geran, Pander and Gooch were all heat leader class and one of Reeves and Bishop could have stepped up.

The distinction between the England and so-called Great Britain teams of the past was pointed out in an earlier post. I'm going from memory here (dangerous for a 74 year old) but I think that Scotland's Ken Mckinlay did represent England in the  early days of the World Team Cup.

I don think there were many countries Hurri-Ken didnt represent at some time or another , even an Aussie side under the name "Kangaroos ". I think new Zealand somehow got  into the mix as well at some stage .:)

• Like 1

My reference to Oxford as no-hopers concerned the 1950's and early 1960's. I think they often ended up with the wooden spoon in pre 1964 days. Sorry for the confusion.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

My reference to Oxford as no-hopers concerned the 1950's and early 1960's. I think they often ended up with the wooden spoon in pre 1964 days. Sorry for the confusion.

I took no offence BOBBATH as you were right...Oxford tended to be also rans making up the numbers (although they won the Third Division in 1950) but it did give an opportunity to throw my opinion in as regards the seventies because personally I think great things may well have come about if things had been different and we would have given the established 'top' teams a run for their money?

Keep up the posts as I enjoy reading your views!

Edited by steve roberts

23 hours ago, Split said:

Ken McKinlay represented England in the first two World Team Cups, 1960 and 1961. Both times he scored one more point than Ron How! 

• Like 1

No offence taken Steve, actually I started going to speedway only in 1964-so my knowledge of seasons prior to that was from old speedway Star Digests and a few Stenners Annuals that I purchased - I do wonder that if Ron How had completed a full 1965 season whether Oxford could have ended up Champions that year. As I recall they had an awful long tail though-so I think West Ham could still have won out. Also ta for the compliment- Iget a lot ogfpleasure out of reading your posts Steve , as well as many others. For me, w

this a wonderful site.

• Like 1