British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
old bob at herne bay

Oxford Cheetah Cubs 2022

45 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

I've got the same figures as you.  With a couple of 3.00, they'd be at 40.99.   So over the limit.

Averages are reduced by 8% if a rider has missed a full year due to injury.   Stoneman missed 2021 and Hopwood missed 2019 and 2021.  Not sure if either or both riders were missing due to injury, but if we give them the benefit of the doubt and say they were both injured and couldn't ride, and give them both 8% reduction, then Stoneman becomes 7.56 and Hopwood 6.59, and it would fit.

However that is not a rational approach, as because of the destrengthening of the NDL all other averages will have been inflated so a 7pt 2018 average is more equivalent to an 8pt current GSA. 

• Like 2

Enjoyed watching Stoneman on occasions riding for Brummies but he'll struggle to average more than 7 I'd think with heat leaders at most other NDL teams. 

Hopwood was entertaining too v Brummies when we were in NDL and looks a 6 pointer to me. 

Sam Hagon could be an excellent signing of he can stop getting injured. 

4 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

More shock comebacks in the team but Stoneman and Jenkins is a powerful top 2 and strong middle order with Hopwood and Hagon. Clouting will benefit from a change of track. Will run the numbers un a minute and see how close or far out it actually is?

So the latest i can find are

Jenkins 9.56

Hagon 5.75

Clouting 4.30

Stoneman 8.22 (2019)

Hopwood 7.16 (2018)

Total 34.99

So looks like just needs a point reduction on Hopwood and a pair of 3 pointers will fit?

I can’t remember for certain, but didn’t Hopwood ride for Plymouth after IOW in 2018? His IOW ending average was 7.16 but 7.37 at Plymouth. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Islander15 said:

I can’t remember for certain, but didn’t Hopwood ride for Plymouth after IOW in 2018? His IOW ending average was 7.16 but 7.37 at Plymouth. 

Good point. I had it my head that it was the other way round for some reason but greensheets don't lie (often). The Courtney calculator is working overtime again.

i would not be surprised to see the 3 pointers will be riders from other motorbike sports that have not tried speedway yet. That would fit the academy idea. Who else with speedway experience would be available on 3.00 average?

6 hours ago, Rosie76 said:

i would not be surprised to see the 3 pointers will be riders from other motorbike sports that have not tried speedway yet. That would fit the academy idea. Who else with speedway experience would be available on 3.00 average?

I would find it extremely insulting to everyone involved if the 3 pointers were non speedway riders. They would be a danger to all other riders on track with them and insulting to paying fans and every other 3 pointer working hard to secure a team place. 

Develop riders through an academy sure but dont ridicule the NDL

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I would find it extremely insulting to everyone involved if the 3 pointers were non speedway riders. They would be a danger to all other riders on track with them and insulting to paying fans and every other 3 pointer working hard to secure a team place. 

I'd personally rather see the next Danny Ayres, Steve Worrall, Craig Cook rather than seeing James Chattin and Ryan MacDonald again (no offence to them lads, but they just haven't cut it with so many opportunities) Fair enough, if the league was bigger, there'd be more space for the likes of James and Ryan.

I'm sure if a promotion is willing to put a rider in their NL team on a 3.00, even if they are a ex motocross rider, they'll have had plenty of experience on a speedway bike at the many training days across the country. There are currently a couple riders just from the top of my head I can think of who have just transitioned from road racing and motocross who are based in the midlands of the country. They are older lads (late 20s) but they are very talented at riding fast bikes. They could do a real good job helping our leagues grow into more homegrown riders, which is what we need at the end of the day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diamonds85 said:

I'd personally rather see the next Danny Ayres, Steve Worrall, Craig Cook rather than seeing James Chattin and Ryan MacDonald again (no offence to them lads, but they just haven't cut it with so many opportunities) Fair enough, if the league was bigger, there'd be more space for the likes of James and Ryan.

I'm sure if a promotion is willing to put a rider in their NL team on a 3.00, even if they are a ex motocross rider, they'll have had plenty of experience on a speedway bike at the many training days across the country. There are currently a couple riders just from the top of my head I can think of who have just transitioned from road racing and motocross who are based in the midlands of the country. They are older lads (late 20s) but they are very talented at riding fast bikes. They could do a real good job helping our leagues grow into more homegrown riders, which is what we need at the end of the day.

Im more than happy to see riders transition accross from other sports and be included because they are good enough. 

The original post was regarding signing riders who haven't even ridden a speedway bike yet so unless fragile Crutchlow fancies a crack i think it will be someone who knows roughly what to do. 

Sadly there only ever was and will be one Danny Ayres 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Im more than happy to see riders transition accross from other sports and be included because they are good enough. 

The original post was regarding signing riders who haven't even ridden a speedway bike yet so unless fragile Crutchlow fancies a crack i think it will be someone who knows roughly what to do. 

Sadly there only ever was and will be one Danny Ayres 

They definitely are few and far between, was just trying to think how Georgie Wood got his go, think that was from a taster day at Arlington, maybe Powell and Brooks, but they were all accomplished grass trackers used to powerful 500cc bikes. Not sure there's any more of that type waiting in the wings.

1 hour ago, gazzac said:

They definitely are few and far between, was just trying to think how Georgie Wood got his go, think that was from a taster day at Arlington, maybe Powell and Brooks, but they were all accomplished grass trackers used to powerful 500cc bikes. Not sure there's any more of that type waiting in the wings.

Georgie Wood did the rounds with Paul Hurry a few years earlier but no takers then as he was a little raw and youth wasn't favoured as much. Brooks had a decent amount of amateur laps but Powell was peobably the most green as a switch over rider and showed in places but did dial in quickly. 

Obviously there was a time when grasstrack to speedway was the desired switch for more meetings but sadly its the other qay now with more speedway riders like Bowtell looking to the grass to boost fixture lists.

13 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Oxford are a new track opening, starting from scratch in the NDL

Belle Vue opened a new track in 2016 and started an NDL team from scratch.   Did you feel equally insulted when they threw in a 16-year-old non-speedway rider who had never taken part in the British Youth series and had never even raced a competitive second-half junior league race?

Yes the Belle Vue situation of 2016 was what I had in mind. I was certainly not suggesting you should put someone in an NDL team who is not safe or competitive,  The potential rider would have to prove this on track before they go in the team.

6 hours ago, PotteringAround said:

Oxford are a new track opening, starting from scratch in the NDL

Belle Vue opened a new track in 2016 and started an NDL team from scratch.   Did you feel equally insulted when they threw in a 16-year-old non-speedway rider who had never taken part in the British Youth series and had never even raced a competitive second-half junior league race?

Not insulted at all because the rider in question had worked thier way through the Scunthorpe winter series quite successfully following plenty of laps on Steve Lawsons private track.  There are always exceptions to the rule and naturals on a bike but how frequently is even that happening?

On 1/15/2022 at 12:52 AM, Diamonds85 said:

I'd disagree with your assessment of James Chattin, he's hardly had any chances at NL, only a few guest booking & never had a permanent position.