British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
old bob at herne bay

Oxford Cheetah Cubs 2022

On 2/17/2022 at 12:45 PM, RoundTheBoards said:

Do you mean nationality-wise or ability-wise?

In terms of nationality I don't know if Luke was born in England or Australia, but he'd qualify as British because his parents are British (being the son of the former Belle Vue and Wolves second-halfer Frank Killeen - known as "Fearless Frank" or "Frank the Fence" depending on how he was going at the time).

In terms of ability, I don't know if riding in an Australian State Championship still allows him in the NDL on a 3.00 average.  (presumably it must).

I meant in terms of nationality. That’s interesting to know thank you. And his ability is irrelevant as anyone can ride NL, there is no minimum standard. 

On 2/17/2022 at 4:10 PM, mac101 said:

Comes in pretty much the same as Connor Bailey has British passport 

Yes I meant how is he eligible for a British passport. 

12 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

If true, not sure why Oxford would take him on loan? The purpose of their NL team should be to build an asset base for future Cheetahs riders, not Wolves riders! I wouldn't want to use a rider on loan from a club who he's never ridden for!

Oxford need a reasonable team to get thru fans to watch it and it’s a new venture so they were of course starting from scratch. If he’s riding for the Chargers then there’s a clear avenue for him to ride for the Cheetah’s Championship side too which benefits then and obviously could form part of a good future relationship with Wolves if Oxford need any riders in the future. 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 4:40 PM, Red Flag said:

According to SS Aussie reports he has signed for Wolves and will be loaned to Oxford

Unless I am mistaken, wouldn't he need to ride x amount of meetings for Wolves before they can sign him?

19 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Unless I am mistaken, wouldn't he need to ride x amount of meetings for Wolves before they can sign him?

Would assume he will ride for Wolves in the Junior League, does NDL count towards been as asset? 

19 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Not unless he's signed a contract to be an asset

• Like 2

Can someone explain to me the reasoning behind Ben Hopwood's reduction? I'm not doubting the reason, whatever it is. Just want to know why

7 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

Can someone explain to me the reasoning behind Ben Hopwood's reduction? I'm not doubting the reason, whatever it is. Just want to know why

He’s missed a few years. I think the bigger surprise is how much of a reduction he got!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Islander15 said:

He’s missed a few years. I think the bigger surprise is how much of a reduction he got!

Surprised he got such a massive reduction tbh, but I'm sure it was all done fairly :D

I do like Ben, from his days at Newcastle, always giving 100% and claimed a few decent scalps at home, even if he was well out of his depth, good look to the Chargers

Rumours down Exeter way say Henry Atkins making his Oxford debut at Belle Vue tomorrow, replacing Ben Hopwood.

Edited by RoundTheBoards

10 hours ago, RoundTheBoards said:

Rumours down Exeter way say Henry Atkins making his Oxford debut at Belle Vue tomorrow, replacing Ben Hopwood.

Smart move. It’s unfortunate that Hopwood’s return to the sport didn’t work out but there’s very few riders available now on that average so to pick someone up if Atkins’ quality is impressive. 

• Like 1

I am told that Luke Killeen will (at last) receive his passport next week -- does that mean he will now be able to resume his declared position in the Chargers' line-up?

39 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

I am told that Luke Killeen will (at last) receive his passport next week -- does that mean he will now be able to resume his declared position in the Chargers' line-up?

Good, it will be intriguing to see how he gets on. 

1 hour ago, Bendonebunching said:

Don't know if I'm missing something here but how was Henry Atkins allowed to guest when he is not in a declared team.

According to the greensheets Henry is still declared in the Plymouth 1-7 so eligible to guest now his ban is up. Stupidly im guessing he can't be declared in the Oxford side until Plymouth officially release him.....

49 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

According to the greensheets Henry is still declared in the Plymouth 1-7 so eligible to guest now his ban is up. Stupidly im guessing he can't be declared in the Oxford side until Plymouth officially release him.....

I was told that is more or less the back story on Wednesday night when he had an after meeting spin at Oxford. 

So surprise surprise Henry Atkins look's like he will finish up with the Oxford Chargers, the dilemma now for the Oxford management is what should they do:

1. Have a hot line from team manager to Mike Atkins to get any tactical moves approved.

2. Make Mike Atkins team manager so the team manager can't do anything that "might" upset the blue eyed boy avoiding the need for option 1.

3. Keep Mike Atkins clear of any contact with the boy during the meeting & let Henry succeed or fail on his own merits. 

All a bit tongue n' check folks, but H & M Atkins have previously let both Somerset & Plymouth down. Mike Atkins is not a bad person - but he's both Henry's

best & worst influence. Good luck to Henry on his "predicted" move to Oxford & show everyone what you are capable of.