British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
old bob at herne bay

Oxford Cheetah Cubs 2022

On 1/15/2022 at 12:52 AM, Diamonds85 said:

I'd personally rather see the next Danny Ayres, Steve Worrall, Craig Cook rather than seeing James Chattin and Ryan MacDonald again (no offence to them lads, but they just haven't cut it with so many opportunities) Fair enough, if the league was bigger, there'd be more space for the likes of James and Ryan.

I'm sure if a promotion is willing to put a rider in their NL team on a 3.00, even if they are a ex motocross rider, they'll have had plenty of experience on a speedway bike at the many training days across the country. There are currently a couple riders just from the top of my head I can think of who have just transitioned from road racing and motocross who are based in the midlands of the country. They are older lads (late 20s) but they are very talented at riding fast bikes. They could do a real good job helping our leagues grow into more homegrown riders, which is what we need at the end of the day.

Its very easy to down cry riders, have they been given the right support or opportunities?

They are trying their best and should be applauded for the time and effort being put in.

On a foot note, how long and how many times was Ivan Mauger given numerous opportunities before his success?

Was Charles Wright an overnight sensation?

Both were given time to blossom and so they flourished!!

• Like 3

I'm not sure that they are still a going concern but I believe that the American football team in Oxford were also called the Chargers.

Sorry it's taken a while to come to light but today is Superb Owl day.

15 minutes ago, Technik said:

I'm not sure that they are still a going concern but I believe that the American football team in Oxford were also called the Chargers.

Sorry it's taken a while to come to light but today is Superb Owl day.

Seem to be called The Saints

http://www.oxfordsaints.com

Edited by SpeedyOne

23 hours ago, SpeedyOne said:

Seem to be called The Saints

http://www.oxfordsaints.com

Yes you are correct. I checked their history & they have been called by many names in the past but not Chargers. However I was playing in 79 - 84 of which part is before the history page starts. back then there were many teams that started & due to the numbers involved many clubs joined each other to make a bigger club. I started in Newbury & we never had a match before joining forces with Reading & a few from a Maidenhead based club. I can remember going to play in a friendly at Oxford just off the A34 where its 50MPH. The Reading team is now part of the university sports clubs.

6 minutes ago, Technik said:

Yes you are correct. I checked their history & they have been called by many names in the past but not Chargers. However I was playing in 79 - 84 of which part is before the history page starts. back then there were many teams that started & due to the numbers involved many clubs joined each other to make a bigger club. I started in Newbury & we never had a match before joining forces with Reading & a few from a Maidenhead based club. I can remember going to play in a friendly at Oxford just off the A34 where its 50MPH. The Reading team is now part of the university sports clubs.

An American football team used the centre green at Reading's Smallmead Stadium for a couple of years, I'm sure they were called Thames Valley Chargers, maybe they were a manifestation of the team you played for?

3 hours ago, Islander15 said:

Any idea how Killeen is eligible for the NL?

Do you mean nationality-wise or ability-wise?

In terms of nationality I don't know if Luke was born in England or Australia, but he'd qualify as British because his parents are British (being the son of the former Belle Vue and Wolves second-halfer Frank Killeen - known as "Fearless Frank" or "Frank the Fence" depending on how he was going at the time).

In terms of ability, I don't know if riding in an Australian State Championship still allows him in the NDL on a 3.00 average.  (presumably it must).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, RoundTheBoards said:

Do you mean nationality-wise or ability-wise?

In terms of nationality I don't know if Luke was born in England or Australia, but he'd qualify as British because his parents are British (being the son of the former Belle Vue and Wolves second-halfer Frank Killeen - known as "Fearless Frank" or "Frank the Fence" depending on how he was going at the time).

In terms of ability, I don't know if riding in an Australian State Championship still allows him in the NDL on a 3.00 average.  (presumably it must).

Results elsewhere have no effect on a rider's elegibility to ride in the NDL.

He has to have a full UK passport and an ACU licence.

6 hours ago, Islander15 said:

Any idea how Killeen is eligible for the NL?

Comes in pretty much the same as Connor Bailey has British passport 

He is Steve Johnstons godson not that it counts for anything with UKBA. I will assume given all that we know he is entitled to hold a British passport & therefore able to lineup in the NDL

On 2/17/2022 at 4:40 PM, Red Flag said:

According to SS Aussie reports he has signed for Wolves and will be loaned to Oxford

If true, not sure why Oxford would take him on loan? The purpose of their NL team should be to build an asset base for future Cheetahs riders, not Wolves riders! I wouldn't want to use a rider on loan from a club who he's never ridden for!