British Speedway Forum
MattB

British Speedway statement

BOTH professional leagues can confirm agreement has been reached on team building regulations for the 2022 season – and Oxford Cheetahs are back!

Promoters have held a general meeting to discuss regulations and the Premiership will build to 39 points for six riders plus a rider from the Rising Star scheme.

The Championship will build to 42-points for seven riders. These decisions are official with the traditional AGM no longer in place.

Discussions on all aspects of the sport have proved to be extremely productive as clubs look to build on an entertaining but challenging 2021.

It can also be confirmed that Oxford will return to the sport at their traditional Cowley Stadium home and will enter the Championship.

The door has remained open for both Kent and Birmingham to also enter the Championship if new promoters can be found to take on the clubs and they have until the AGM to do this.

The National Development League will stage an AGM soon with more clubs looking to enter than in recent seasons.

Rob Godfrey, Chairman of British Speedway Promoters Ltd said: "The members of both the Premiership and Championship have held in-depth discussions over the past few weeks and months.

"Riders are starting to be announced by clubs because there is an agreement in place in both leagues regarding team building rules.

"We are delighted to welcome Oxford back into the sport at the same time as continuing to support Eastbourne in their hope for a return in 2023. We also hope Kent and Birmingham’s issues can be resolved to bring them to the tapes for 2022.

"The 2021 season, particularly towards the end with the wonderful success of the GB national team and the brilliant Grand Final showcased by our broadcast partner Eurosport to a huge audience, underlines that speedway is still very much alive and kicking in this country. Long may it continue."

No change. 

Same 6 teams. This time the season will be over an extra 2 months so how they will work the fixture list out god knows. Can't afford 3/4 week haps between fixtures. 

4 of the 6 prem teams can keep all there riders  wolves and Peterborough need to change there retiring riders with lesser riders. 

So basically weakening the product yet again. 

Glad Oxford are back and look forward to seeing a meeting from there in 2022

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

No change. 

Same 6 teams. This time the season will be over an extra 2 months so how they will work the fixture list out god knows. Can't afford 3/4 week haps between fixtures. 

4 of the 6 prem teams can keep all there riders  wolves and Peterborough need to change there retiring riders with lesser riders. 

It says in the Speedway Star this morning in an article where Wolves are confirming they are running in the 6 team league that these fixtures will be filled by adding 'extra competitions' at Premiership level.  Not ideal though i'd say, just racing the same teams even more!

• Like 1

Business as usual...

7 minutes ago, heathen52 said:

Can someone tell me, whats the point of having a RS scheme in the Premier League but not in the Championship ?, surely the point is progression of young riders so it should follow that the RS scheme means the Championship is the natural step up for young riders then the Premiership.

There is no point (might as well make it all PL teams have to have Brit under 24). Because the scheme was so well considered (cough) and the longer term aspects realised that the majority of the RS places for CL level would be filled with riders not ready to make the step its been dropped. Implementing a "system" when there is a glut of riders available is easy but  as the next 12 riders haven't appeared out of thin air the whole thing has been dropped.

• Like 3

These decisions are official with the traditional AGM no longer in place.

The door has remained open for both Kent and Birmingham to also enter the Championship if new promoters can be found to take on the clubs and they have until the AGM to do this.

Well that's confused me?

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, heathen52 said:

Can someone tell me, whats the point of having a RS scheme in the Premier League but not in the Championship ?, surely the point is progression of young riders so it should follow that the RS scheme means the Championship is the natural step up for young riders then the Premiership.

Exactly this! It worked so well last season with the likes of Flint, Palin and Kemp to a lesser extent surely you keep it in the Championship and as you say they progress to the top league mind baffling as always. 

It's like because the Premiership grand final was excellent racing they've just thought yeah everything is hunky dory as usual same again next year lads.

1 minute ago, paulboy said:

These decisions are official with the traditional AGM no longer in place.

Well that's confused me?

Beat me to it.  Absolutely farce. Which clown wrote that

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

It is very amateurish...let's stop any pretence it is a professional sport in Britain and cut the cloth accordingly.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Phil The Ace said:

No change. 

Having 39 for 6 riders is pretty much breaking even.

Wolves and Peterborough have to weaken by a couple of points each. King's Lynn and Ipswich have nearly 5 points each that they can build up. Sheffield and Belle Vue are pretty much on 39 each.

A six team league is poor though. It does seem time to join the two divisions, although a lack of riders might be the problem with that.

40 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

I hadn't spotted that.  Does anybody in this sport know what they're doing?!

• Like 1

I read that and thought the same, but to be fair it did say "traditional" AGM

25 minutes ago, iainb said:

I read that and thought the same, but to be fair it did say "traditional" AGM

Company/Association AGMs are neither traditional or untraditional.

They are just AGMs. With specific functions to be carried out.

Other General meetings are possible. They are NOT AGMs.

• Like 1