British Speedway Forum
MattB

British Speedway statement

The only thing about the Championship not using RS anymore is, are there enough from the NL able to move up and not struggle doing it? Is that why they have dropped it. As I think there is more than enough from the Championship that could compete in the Prem as RS. I'm happy to be corrected as usual! ;)

4 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

The 'traditional' AGM has always been 2-3 days. This year its only to be a 'one-day' rubber-stamping exercise of what has been already agreed over the Zoom meetings and to give Brummies more time.

Most company AGM's have a very strict agenda and are usually over and done with in a couple of hours at most!

I'm glad to hear there as some sort of AGM, as I'm sure I read in the local press that Danny Ford said he wasn't going to announce any signings til after it. So thought I was going to have to turn up in March/April and see who comes to the tapes! ;):P

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

The only thing about the Championship not using RS anymore is, are there enough from the NL able to move up and not struggle doing it? Is that why they have dropped it. As I think there is more than enough from the Championship that could compete in the Prem as RS. I'm happy to be corrected as usual! ;)

I think thats exactly why they dropped it although theres an argument to say if "we" are not producing enough riders on the conveyor belt the solution shouldn't be to abandon the process but look at ways of improving it. The NDL was dulled down so those who might have been ready to push on weren't really pushed and those definitely ready had a casual easy season. If the RS system remained (as flawed as it was) it would at least force clubs in higher divisions to take an interest in the progress of emerging riders and do something about it to assist like (dare i say it) the do in Poland. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

No change. 

Same 6 teams. This time the season will be over an extra 2 months so how they will work the fixture list out god knows. Can't afford 3/4 week haps between fixtures. 

4 of the 6 prem teams can keep all there riders  wolves and Peterborough need to change there retiring riders with lesser riders. 

So basically weakening the product yet again. 

Glad Oxford are back and look forward to seeing a meeting from there in 2022

And that just about sums up British Speedway!! Never mind the fact that Bjarne Pedersen himself is retiring anyway and the Peterborough 2021 team was built in a very specific way.

The team building points limit is raised, yet one team is still set to replace one of the season-ending reserves with a lower averaged rider!! Not their No.1, but a reserve for heaven's sake!!

4 minutes ago, BarracudaAce said:

And that just about sums up British Speedway!! Never mind the fact that Bjarne Pedersen himself is retiring anyway and the Peterborough 2021 team was built in a very specific way.

The team building points limit is raised, yet one team is still set to replace one of the season-ending reserves with a lower averaged rider!! Not their No.1, but a reserve for heaven's sake!!

They aren't weakening the product (for a change). No team will even be forced to release anyone.

There are 3 teams above the limit and 3 teams below it.

The three above are Peterborough (Pedersen retiring), Wolves (Schlein retiring) and Belle Vue (Bewley not riding in UK).

For a change, nobody even has to let anyone go if they don't want to, which is always the worst part of having a successful team.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Grachan said:

They aren't weakening the product (for a change). No team will even be forced to release anyone.

There are 3 teams above the limit and 3 teams below it.

The three above are Peterborough (Pedersen retiring), Wolves (Schlein retiring) and Belle Vue (Bewley not riding in UK).

For a change, nobody even has to let anyone go if they don't want to, which is always the worst part of having a successful team.

I couldn't agree with you more on your last comment, but it is being weakened for 3 clubs (yes, only 3 clubs - but that is 50% of the league) and they would have had to release a rider(s) without the retirees and Dan's situation.

The point I was making was the fact that one rider to lose his job because of team building limits could well have been a reserve (if Bjarne had not been retiring and Peterborough chosen to replace him than someone else) and just seems plain daft to me.

Embarrass themselves every year at the BSPA. 5 year plan for the RS pretty sure every man and their dog could’ve told you last year this would only last a season and well there we go scrapped already. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

If you are correct which iv no reason to doubt, then why is that ? Ohhhhh i forgot the BSPL in there wisdom decided to dumb down the NL, again short sighted gain for long term loss which just about sums up the BSPL over the years.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, spin king said:

Disappointed to see that the Championship clubs have dumped the Rising Star programme.

For me riders need to be able to progress through the league and to do this the programme has to run through all of the leagues.

So it is looking like only 6 teams in the Premiership

So with one Rising Star for each team these are the riders that should be the 6 Rising Star,

Leon Flint

Tom Brennan

Jordan Palin

Anders Rowe

Drew Kemp

Dan Thompson

I would then like to see reserve list, these riders will cover Guest appearances for the above riders, retirements or riders dropped.

Dan Gilkes

Joe Thompson

Jason Edwards

Henry Atkins

Jack Parkinson Blackburn

Connor Bailey 

What? No Danyon Hume?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, spin king said:

Disappointed to see that the Championship clubs have dumped the Rising Star programme.

For me riders need to be able to progress through the league and to do this the programme has to run through all of the leagues.

So it is looking like only 6 teams in the Premiership

So with one Rising Star for each team these are the riders that should be the 6 Rising Star,

Leon Flint

Tom Brennan

Jordan Palin

Anders Rowe

Drew Kemp

Dan Thompson

I would then like to see reserve list, these riders will cover Guest appearances for the above riders, retirements or riders dropped.

Dan Gilkes

Joe Thompson

Jason Edwards

Henry Atkins

Jack Parkinson Blackburn

Connor Bailey 

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

What? No Danyon Hume?

Danyon Hume is 24.

Other than JPB (who I wouldn't have on the list) the others are all under 21. Kyle Bickley would be a better alternate.

22 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

I'm glad to hear there as some sort of AGM, as I'm sure I read in the local press that Danny Ford said he wasn't going to announce any signings til after it. So thought I was going to have to turn up in March/April and see who comes to the tapes! ;):P

There is a difference between signing and announcing names! A might have already signed 7 riders but not announced the names!

1 hour ago, Skodaman said:

There is a difference between signing and announcing names! A might have already signed 7 riders but not announced the names!

That's what I mean though! If they don't announce them, then I'm not going to know who they are until they are at the tapes. It was just a joke as people were saying there was no AGM now and he said he wasn't going to announce any signings before it! Even though I think there is an AGM for a day only.

But today they are saying probably announce in a few weeks/next month.

On 11/11/2021 at 7:57 AM, MattB said:

These decisions are official with the traditional AGM no longer in place.

Because British speedway is now an effective dictatorship run by a two bob scrap metal merchant supported by a few stoogie minions who aspire to fill his boots one day. Fair play to Godfrey. 16 years ago he set up a track in the middle of a field with no basic facilities. Now he holds all the power :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/11/2021 at 6:33 PM, Mr Blobby said:

Embarrass themselves every year at the BSPA. 5 year plan for the RS pretty sure every man and their dog could’ve told you last year this would only last a season and well there we go scrapped already. 

It would be funny if it wasn't so ridiculous.
So many times we have heard about a 5 year plan, long term plan, etc and every time it is binned quickly.
I know that some might not have liked the introduction of the RS system, but to bring it in as a 5 year plan and ditch it after 1 year just makes the sport look completely stupid...especially when it was something that actually seemed to be useful for the development of riders in the UK.
I'll admit that I didn't really understand the star system from this year, but a move to something like a star for each year in the league could have been a good way to go....but, nah, just bin the whole thing.
Encouraging and giving an advantage to teams that actually developed riders seemed like a good idea to me....Could it see the best young Brit riders being paid more than their average was normally worth? Yes. Is that a bad thing for developing the young riders? In my opinion, NO! 
There aren't enough good young Brit riders to go around and it's unfair if a team has a special talent? Tough...Get out and encourage kids to try speedway if you want to win the league rather than waiting for them to appear and fall in your lap or signing young foreign riders.

• Like 3