British Speedway Forum
MattB

British Speedway statement

5 hours ago, Speedtiger said:

I agree, CVS and the wolves TM are one of the best and have been very successful.

if more clubs operated like CVS speedway wouldn’t be in the mess it’s in now. 

Yes Wolves are successful unfortunately the long term future is not sustainable due to so many tracks closing.

On 11/18/2021 at 2:16 PM, falcace said:

It needs a complete revolution, not fiddling while Rome burns. The reality is the product and package isn't good enough...and people outside of the speedway bubble couldn't give a toss over doubling up or whatever the latest rule tweak is. 

My vision is for the British speedway to:

• move to a family-friendly weekend model
  • be part of a multi-motorsport experience including sidecars, quads, flat track etc

That's the core offering from any other motor sport experience in the UK road or off road. People of all ages get a full day out and people get to see disciplines they enjoy and others that they may want to grab a burger/pint during. I know I am biased, but I still believe (possibly foolishly) that with its stadium setting, speedway can offer a much more engaging spectacle that other motorsports. So, I still have hope.

Faith is another matter. British speedway doesn't have....and never really has had....the leadership or appetite to make wholesale changes to reflect public opinion. Nor, sadly are the remaining hardcore fans blameless, they too will (largely) stubbornly oppose change even whilst their fellow hardcore supporters are slowly dwindling away before their very eyes. It requires a Barry Hearn/Dana White figure...but the potential is ultimately limited, so people of that ilk are never going to come forward. And so, we will trundle on.   

I think it would be a good idea if some kind of survey could be carried out to see how many people that would attract on a regular basis.

For me, that would not be an attractive proposition and I doubt I would go. Solo speedway is the attraction for me but sidecars, quads and flat track would be a complete turn off. I'd also be unlikely to go for a full day. What does attract me is the sort of programme the Isle of Wight put on this year - circa 25 races over a 3 hour period, predominately speedway based - and the British Youth Championship with multiple speedway classes. 

I may of course be in the minority, and I certainly do fall into the age demographic that's viewed as a problem for the sport.  

42 minutes ago, Sir Sidney said:

I think it would be a good idea if some kind of survey could be carried out to see how many people that would attract on a regular basis.

For me, that would not be an attractive proposition and I doubt I would go. Solo speedway is the attraction for me but sidecars, quads and flat track would be a complete turn off. I'd also be unlikely to go for a full day. What does attract me is the sort of programme the Isle of Wight put on this year - circa 25 races over a 3 hour period, predominately speedway based - and the British Youth Championship with multiple speedway classes. 

I may of course be in the minority, and I certainly do fall into the age demographic that's viewed as a problem for the sport.  

A stadium/grasstrack style race programme will probably become a new and refreshing deviation which will draw in a broader type of spectator. Rather than compete it could be useful in supporting league speedway particularly bringing in/on youth talent from other disciplines.

1 hour ago, Pieman72 said:

So many tracks are closing or in financial dire straights and the BSPL and carrying on with a speedway league model that in broken. I can see your enthusiasm but we have to look to the future Wolves and their foreign riders are not the answer with only 6 teams in the Premier league and eye watering admission costs. Speedway is in a lot of trouble.

Wolves riders are not any more expensive than a lot of British riders Wolves do not pay for flights ect.

31 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

Wolves riders are not any more expensive than a lot of British riders Wolves do not pay for flights ect.

The ‘ masses ‘ won’t believe you as they know best. Very few outside the ‘inner circles’ of a speedway club have any understanding of the finances involved as many a post on here shows . Championship Riders on a £100 plus a point ? Vans , houses, bikes, mechanics, given free ? never mind flights paid for. Those clubs still getting involved in those things are the ones most often on the endangered list.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sir Sidney said:

Yes....and the point is don't survey the existing crowds...that will tell us nothing. Or worse still pander to a shrinking group with less years in front of them to watch speedway.  It's the people NOT attending speedway who are of more interest. How do we get more of them through the gate?

I think we are at the stage where promotions like the Isle of Wight should be welcomed and given free rein to experiment with new formats...and properly pilot them. Oh, and please don't be offended on your age. I think we can all recognise that any sport who's fan demographic is 60+ has a problem.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trackerman48 said:

Wolves riders get appearance money and having no British riders is detrimental to the future of the sport. If you have no programme of promoting local riders with a training school what is the future. We all know fielding a team full of foreign riders is wrong why defend it?

19 minutes ago, Pieman72 said:

Wolves riders get appearance money and having no British riders is detrimental to the future of the sport. If you have no programme of promoting local riders with a training school what is the future. We all know fielding a team full of foreign riders is wrong why defend it?

Is he defending it ?, he hasn’t even mentioned the subject.

You appear to have an issue with Wolves policy, that’s your opinion and your entitled to it.. I’ve never heard of any rider ever getting ‘ appearance money ‘ and I’m very experienced in clubs finances over the years. You may be getting confused with ‘ start money ‘ ( mainly done away with now ) or even a’ guarantee’ which is quite common with some clubs.

As for promoting local riders, your track needs to have the track time available to do it, few do . I’ve seen many a ‘ second half ‘ at Wolverhampton over the passed few years so they are definitely  trying.

Edited by Fortythirtyeight

14 minutes ago, Pieman72 said:

Thing is your lack of knowledge is shown here agreed there is no training school however Wolverhampton constantly run competitive second half's with all British lads riding and give track time at every meeting to the British 250 champion . Unfortunately lots of teams are made up of foreign riders due to the lack of British based riders currently at premier league standard .

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Speedtiger said:

I agree, CVS and the wolves TM are one of the best and have been very successful.

if more clubs operated like CVS speedway wouldn’t be in the mess it’s in now. 

Is this the same Wolves and CVS that was widely quoted as saying they wouldn't compete in a six team league. 

Yet here we are again same old same old

2 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Is he defending it ?, he hasn’t even mentioned the subject.

You appear to have an issue with Wolves policy, that’s your opinion and your entitled to it.. I’ve never heard of any rider ever getting ‘ appearance money ‘ and I’m very experienced in clubs finances over the years. You may be getting confused with ‘ start money ‘ ( mainly done away with now ) or even a’ guarantee’ which is quite common with some clubs.

As for promoting local riders, your track needs to have the track time available to do it, few do . I’ve seen many a ‘ second half ‘ at Wolverhampton over the passed few years so they are definitely  trying.

I am having a severe Anorakking on here lol. I can see why it's all going wrong....reconstructing. Speedway is in a mess and obviously your more in the 'know' than me. How many times have I heard that. So if Wolverhampton have a successful programme of Second Halves why do they fill the team with non aligned foreign riders?

2 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Thing is your lack of knowledge is shown here agreed there is no training school however Wolverhampton constantly run competitive second half's with all British lads riding and give track time at every meeting to the British 250 champion . Unfortunately lots of teams are made up of foreign riders due to the lack of British based riders currently at premier league standard .

What knowledgable element of Speedway do I need to brush up on? It's very expensive with dwindling attendances, financially bereft teams, a management committee that is autocratic and riders who can't be bothered.

32 minutes ago, Pieman72 said:

What knowledgable element of Speedway do I need to brush up on? It's very expensive with dwindling attendances, financially bereft teams, a management committee that is autocratic and riders who can't be bothered.

I responded to the post re Wolverhampton Lack of development which your knowledge of is poor . It's motorsport it is expensive. Unfortunately attendance is poor  but at every track we attended last year all seemed as they were if not better than before COVID, some teams will always live beyond there means just like some people live in debt . Can't comment on the committee as it would be speculation, can't think I watched a rider this season who didn't see bothered. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, falcace said:

Yes....and the point is don't survey the existing crowds...that will tell us nothing. Or worse still pander to a shrinking group with less years in front of them to watch speedway.  It's the people NOT attending speedway who are of more interest. How do we get more of them through the gate?

I think we are at the stage where promotions like the Isle of Wight should be welcomed and given free rein to experiment with new formats...and properly pilot them. Oh, and please don't be offended on your age. I think we can all recognise that any sport who's fan demographic is 60+ has a problem.

I agree with that. The question is which organisation has the skills to properly conduct the research and properly interpret it - and then come up with a plan to make a difference. 

11 hours ago, SlicktrackSandy said:

You have a point there , but at present they do pretty well in attracting a few really good partnerships which are crucial to the club's health.  If they were ever to move to within the Edinburgh City boundaries, for whatever reason, it is highly likely that sponsorships/partnerships would be likely to increase significantly.   It is 25 years since Monarchs were actually based in the City and a lot of things have changed since then as we are all aware.

I've definitely got a lot fatter, seen my hairline recede frighteningly far and what is left of it has gone much more grey than I would have hoped for 25 years ago :unsure:
On the speedway side, I think that the Edinburgh promotion need a lot of respect for keeping things going after Powderhall was lost, and the fans need a lot of respect for the amount of money that they have contributed to keeping the sport going.
Sadly, it seems unlikely that the Edinburgh council will ever welcome the sport back into the City boundaries, but I can keep hoping...I currently live within relatively easy walking distance of all of the venues that used to host league speedway in Edinburgh...and it's sad that the team are currently racing so far from the City.