British Speedway Forum
MattB

British Speedway statement

There's hope that more different riders might race here in 2023.  It's easy to be an armchair promoter ........

Edited by Trees

36 minutes ago, Speedtiger said:

Very true! We will have yet another repeat of the past few seasons of dwindling crowds and more clubs going to the wall or packing up. The clueless clowns at the BSPA have previously proved commercially inept and powerless in stopping the terminal decline of the sport and in many cases have helped it along the way to the point where speedway is now well beyond a reversal of fortunes! The good old days, if they ever were, have gone forever. 

...thankfully I experienced the last "Golden Era" the seventies and early eighties. Great memories!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...thankfully I experienced the last "Golden Era" the seventies and early eighties. Great memories!

Speedway has ebbed and flowed since it started.

we have to hope that the corner will be turned in the near future…

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Trees said:

There's hope that more different riders might race here in 2023.  It's easy to be an armchair promoter ........

There's been 'loads of different riders' riding here over the years pre covid and the steep decline over the past 20 years or so in particular has taken place with them here....

Many of whom were World Class.....

Anyone one know how much in total speedway has received from TV since SKY took it on?

I'm guessing it might have been enough to have bought a few stadia.

34 minutes ago, KIRKYLANE said:

Speedway has ebbed and flowed since it started.

we have to hope that the corner will be turned in the near future…

Don’t hold your breath KL…

38 minutes ago, Deano said:

Anyone one know how much in total speedway has received from TV since SKY took it on?

It wasn’t by a long distance and once it was shared out between the ‘top’ clubs the individual amount wasn’t enough to purchase the promoter a a Rolls but it did offset a large percentage of their running costs.

The new money won’t buy them a decent second hand tractor with grader attached.

1 hour ago, Deano said:

Wasn't it just over £100k a club per season?..

With individual meetings getting another '£x thousand to offset any crowd loss due to live TV..

That was in a 10 club Elite league..

And it went in for a fair few years, so it was a good few million..

Edit. Cant link it up but just read an article from 2001 with Vanessa Purchase of Oxford in the Oxford Mail, where she discusses the £5 million, five year deal with Sky..

Edited by mikebv

16 minutes ago, mikebv said:

With individual meetings getting another '£x thousand to offset any crowd loss due to live TV..

So perhaps enough to have bought Newport. I can’t remember the sale costs but a promoter paying the BSPL rent is money staying in the sport. 

16 minutes ago, mikebv said:

I may have remembered this wrong, but I think it was closer to 50k per track per year. 

Terence got his cut of course, and I think I heard that aside from the fixed amount paid to each promotion, additional payments were made to teams when they were shown live to compensate for lower crowds.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Edit. Cant link it up but just read an article from 2001 with Vanessa Purchase of Oxford in the Oxford Mail, where she discusses the £5 million, five year deal with Sky..

No, it wasn’t.

Yes, Sky paid a for a 5 year deal and did settle in full despite withdrawing early.

The current deal is less than 3% of the Sky money.

4 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

I may have remembered this wrong, but I think it was closer to 50k per track per year. 

Terence got his cut of course, and I think I heard that aside from the fixed amount paid to each promotion, additional payments were made to teams when they were shown live to compensate for lower crowds.

As I edited on my last post..

It was £5m for Five years in 2001...

The interview with Vanessa Purchase didnt say whether that was "gross or net" of the "finders fee"...:D

Can't remember the exact amount each track got for holding a meeting but do remember thinking at the time that it was a "decent amount"..

Especially considering that early into the contract tracks got very good crowds with the novelty of TV being there getting fans to attend their tracks..

And tracks would also do plenty of "add ons" to try and attract crowds with kids being a particular target audience...

Dont know if the next contract five years later yielded the same, or similar...

7 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

No, it wasn’t.

Yes, Sky paid a for a 5 year deal and did settle in full despite withdrawing early.

The current deal is less than 3% of the Sky money.

Sky didnt pull out before 2006 did they?

Thought it was much more recent than that..

Edit Just checked. BT took over UK coverage in 2017...

Sky paid up their contract in 2016

Sky showed British Speedway for a long, long time...

And paid a hell of a lot of money in too...

Edited by mikebv

39 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Very apt...been saying it for years that speedway needs an independant body to run the sport and now the same being said in football.