British Speedway Forum
MattB

British Speedway statement

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

....what the sport needs is a "Mike Parker" type of adminstrator who had forsight back in the sixties but again wasn't everyone's cup of tea (Reg Fearman!) which is always going to prove contentious whoever is put in charge where personal interests come into play.

Today: fans complain promoters are too driven by self interest

1964: the single promoter most driven by self-interest: Mike Parker

The last thing we need is a Mike Parker type of administrator (and some would say we already have one in Rob Godfrey)

Parker had some exceptional qualities, but not ones that would have made him a suitable director of the sport as a whole

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Today: fans complain promoters are too driven by self interest

1964: the single promoter most driven by self-interest: Mike Parker

The last thing we need is a Mike Parker type of administrator (and some would say we already have one in Rob Godfrey)

Parker had some exceptional qualities, but not ones that would have made him a suitable director of the sport as a whole

Agreed which is why a consortium without any self interest would be advantageous...can't ever see it happening however as speedway lurches from one disaster to another.

8 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Agreed which is why a consortium without any self interest would be advantageous...can't ever see it happening however as speedway lurches from one disaster to another.

There’s not a problem with self interest. What is important though, is they have no interest in any speedway business. This is one of the reasons why the Ekstraliga in Poland is flourishing - one person at the top with no affiliation to any one team, who no doubt takes a percentage of all of the deals. But, like with Bernie Ecclestone and F1, better to get 75% of a £1m sponsorship deal than 100% of a £100k one

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Speedtiger said:

Let’s not get sidetracked that having an independent body/person will save speedway as is often put forward as a solution, the sport already has an ‘independent’ body in place, for what it’s worth, and that’s the SCB. Now stop laughing, I know the SCB are about as much use as a chocolate kettle. But that’s the point, no matter who or what body is appointed it will make no difference to the way the sport is run or prevent the downward spiral. In addition to the sports ineffective management by the BSPA who are devoid of any bold initiative, the reasons for speedway’s decline are many and complex and there are no simple answers or quick fix solutions, the sport is an unsustainable business and sadly it’s inevitable it will continue to fall apart.

100%...

What would any Independant body actually recommend?

Having teams decide what leagues they race in rather than have organic, aspirational growth through attainment, is not a good idea..?

Letting teams borrow each others riders to the complete detriment and devaluation of the sports credibility, and thus reducing major sponsorship potential, is not a good idea...?

Letting your employees dictate your opening hours (whether the best times for you or not) so they can have multiple jobs, is not a good idea..?

Having no joined up, collective, local and national marketing plan for the sport, funded by a budget set aside to do it, is not a good idea?

Annually raising admission fees to pay for too many professional riders in a sport with so few followers, is not a good idea?

Using something as subjective, and delivered by such wide variables, as averages to equalise team strengths, thus allowing those with more money to be "more equal than others", is not a good idea..?

In summary, any independent body or person would just say "change your operating model to one that is fit for purpose"...

Everyone, including the promoters I would say, already know this..

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Speedtiger said:

Let’s not get sidetracked that having an independent body/person will save speedway as is often put forward as a solution, the sport already has an ‘independent’ body in place, for what it’s worth, and that’s the SCB. Now stop laughing, I know the SCB are about as much use as a chocolate kettle. But that’s the point, no matter who or what body is appointed it will make no difference to the way the sport is run or prevent the downward spiral. In addition to the sports ineffective management by the BSPA who are devoid of any bold initiative, the reasons for speedway’s decline are many and complex and there are no simple answers or quick fix solutions, the sport is an unsustainable business and sadly it’s inevitable it will continue to fall apart.

I think you misunderstand the role of the SCB. It is certainly not independent as it comprises two representatives from ACU and two from BSPA plus a non-voting chairman, nor has it any responsibility for promoting the sport. 
It is purely an administrative, operational and disciplinary body

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gordon Pairman said:

I think you misunderstand the role of the SCB. It is certainly not independent as it comprises two representatives from ACU and two from BSPA plus a non-voting chairman, nor has it any responsibility for promoting the sport. 
It is purely an administrative, operational and disciplinary body

Thanks for that info.
I still remain very doubtful that any ‘independent’ person or body who ever they are would make any difference and prevent the terminal decline in speedway. Or more relevant is that the clowns at BSPA would never allow anyone ‘independent’  to run speedway. They would sooner let the chief clowns Godfrey & Chapman continue to run the sport in to the ground and to its inevitable demise. 

Edited by Speedtiger

42 minutes ago, Speedtiger said:

Thanks for that info.
I still remain very doubtful that any ‘independent’ person or body who ever they are would make any difference and prevent the terminal decline in speedway. Or more relevant is that the clowns at BSPA would never allow anyone ‘independent’  to run speedway. They would sooner let the chief clowns Godfrey & Chapman continue to run the sport in to the ground and to its inevitable demise. 

Buster Chapman is not on the Management Board. He’s not had any say since he stood down two years ago. 

Having been a member of the BSPA, it’s my view that having a sports’ professional with no affiliation to any club as CEO would be far better than the current situation which tends to rely on well intentioned - and hard working - amateurs. Running a sport needs different skills to running a team, and needs to be a full time job

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 11/24/2021 at 10:13 PM, mikebv said:

Sky didnt pull out before 2006 did they?

Thought it was much more recent than that..

Edit Just checked. BT took over UK coverage in 2017...

Sky paid up their contract in 2016

Sky showed British Speedway for a long, long time...

And paid a hell of a lot of money in too...

The 5 year deal referred too was the deal that they terminated early in 2016.

Yes, in speedway terms they did put a lot of money in over the 10 years ( 2 contracts ) and just what was done with it ? Divided by the top clubs to cover their ‘ costs ‘ with a little left over for the kitty  and none invested in the future of the sport.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Gordon Pairman said:

Buster Chapman is not on the Management Board. He’s not had any say since he stood down two years ago. 

Having been a member of the BSPA, it’s my view that having a sports’ professional with no affiliation to any club as CEO would be far better than the current situation which tends to rely on well intentioned - and hard working - amateurs. Running a sport needs different skills to running a team, and needs to be a full time job

Yes and thanks goodness that Chapman did stand down as he did enough damage to the sport (engines fiasco) and handed it on to an equally dimwit. I respect your opinion even though it probably won’t happen and I’m aware you were a big part of delivering the fantastic NSS so credit to you. The sport needs more people like you. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Speedtiger said:

Yes and thanks goodness that Chapman did stand down as he did enough damage to the sport (engines fiasco) and handed it on to an equally dimwit. I respect your opinion even though it probably won’t happen and I’m aware you were a big part of delivering the fantastic NSS so credit to you. The sport needs more people like you. 

You’re too kind! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In my (humble) opinion the ONLY individual I would entrust to running this sport would be ADRIAN SMITH who is at B.Vue.

Smart of mind, intelligent, erudite, has business acumen, impressive when dealing with possible major sponsors,TV, media...great qualities which currently very sadly lacking. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spiegal said:

In my (humble) opinion the ONLY individual I would entrust to running this sport would be ADRIAN SMITH who is at B.Vue.

Smart of mind, intelligent, erudite, has business acumen, impressive when dealing with possible major sponsors,TV, media...great qualities which currently very sadly lacking. 

As a bv fan I have a different opinion of mr smith, in the 5 years he’s helped run the club with main man Lemo, he’s achieved very little. I have talked to him a few times and he just don’t listen and he’s not taken the club forward and he’s arrogantly pushed away many long serving bv volunteers and worse upset a former hero world champion PC. The club have lost a small fortune and crowds are low and nowhere near what they should be for such a great track and stadium but. bv don’t even run the NSS now. There’s more football and other stuff done by the council. IMHO he’s certainly not a business man. Business men are only their to make money not loose it. 

Edited by Speedtiger

On 11/25/2021 at 9:05 AM, steve roberts said:

It's been well documented that speedway had an opportunity many years ago when John Berry put himself forward but some members of the BSPA got cold feet and Berry re-tracted his offer. If I recall Peter York stepped in what became a very diluted position of power and never got the co-operation of  the BSPA. During his short tenure he came across all sorts of problems and it didn't help matters that the two leagues had different administrations with very different agendas but that was to be expected considering the in-rivalry amongst the speedway fraternity hence the problems that continue to exist within the sport.

Send for Nelson Mills-Baldwin and the RAC!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Gordon Pairman said:

A difficult ask there probably isn't anyone with those qualities who has a comprehensive knowledge of speedway. What it needs is someone with those qualities who has no financial interest but with realistic proposals for the future. Mike Parker did try to get an Isle of Wight format with Grasstrack bikes and deep track at Wolverhampton back in 1981 but all riders were threatened with a lifetime ban from the BSPA if they did compete. That probably gives the DNA for the today's situation.  Mike Parker was a wily character but knew the sport and could see then where it was heading. Unfortunately he died not long after.

• Like 1

I would suggest Phil Morris to perhaps be that person. Former rider and shrewd business owner and holds a regular job in speedway at the highest level. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1