British Speedway Forum
MattB

British Speedway statement

With the rising costs in utilities , petrol, food, etc  will this have an affect on Speedway attendances and the entertainment industry in general with people having to decide even more so to pick and choose which if any meeting they attend.

What more can promoters do to attract people through the gates on an already tight budget.

• Like 1

Value for money.  Yes, people will be tightening their belt, no doubt about it. We started couple weeks before Xmas, glad we have hide a long stretch of mild weather. Instead of turning on the heat we put extra jumper on.              
A smart run meeting would be a good start, meetings 2+ hours is not on at any time, never mind a cold wet March/April night. Keep the pit gates closed if tapes broke etc, riders straight to the tapes.                     
By all means sell a full program, but provide a race sheet only for a nominal 20p or free.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, topaz325 said:

With the rising costs in utilities , petrol, food, etc  will this have an affect on Speedway attendances and the entertainment industry in general with people having to decide even more so to pick and choose which if any meeting they attend.

What more can promoters do to attract people through the gates on an already tight budget.

There will be whole sectors of the economy facing huge challenges...

With the 'entertainment' sector in particular being hit massively I would suggest..

"Fortunately" for Speedway its demographic of mainly "grey pound" spenders might help it deflect some impact?

In the past, the country it has been said, has "sleep walked" into recession...

No one is sleep walking into what is ahead...

For many, families in particular, after food and clothing, mortgage/rent, utility bills/council tax, car, mobile phones, broadband, sat tv etc etc have been paid for, not much will be left I would suggest for a lot of families. (Maybe not enough even exists in the first place)..

They may even need their "grey pound" spending relatives to help...

Not sure paying people 12 months money for working 6 will be too sustainable to be honest, (if it ever was)...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

There will be whole sectors of the economy facing huge challenges...

With the 'entertainment' sector in particular being hit massively I would suggest..

"Fortunately" for Speedway its demographic of mainly "grey pound" spenders might help it deflect some impact?

In the past, the country it has been said, has "sleep walked" into recession...

No one is sleep walking into what is ahead...

For many, families in particular, after food and clothing, mortgage/rent, utility bills/council tax, car, mobile phones, broadband, sat tv etc etc have been paid for, not much will be left I would suggest for a lot of families. (Maybe not enough even exists in the first place)..

They may even need their "grey pound" spending relatives to help...

Not sure paying people 12 months money for working 6 will be too sustainable to be honest, (if it ever was)...

I,m one of the “Grey pound “ people, I took early retirement .

4 hours ago, topaz325 said:

The financial crash of 2008 had a marked effect on attendance at some tracks but the impact was softened by interest rates reducing to near zero putting money into peoples pockets.

Sadly that’s not going to happen this time but let’s hope their savings will compensate for this!

• Like 1

Just now, GWC said:

The financial crash of 2008 had a marked effect on attendance at some tracks but the impact was softened by interest rates reducing to near zero putting money into peoples pockets.

Sadly that’s not going to happen this time but let’s hope their savings will compensate for this!

I agree about the savings but the interest rate will not go up   Significantly any time soon which is wrong , as someone said on the radio this morning the banks have plenty of government money....did I hear that right.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

I agree about the savings but the interest rate will not go up   Significantly any time soon which is wrong , as someone said on the radio this morning the banks have plenty of government money....did I hear that right.

In 2008 the Govt gave the banks billions...

Maybe this time they will give the public billions to keep the economy going? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mikebv said:

I think we all know the answer to that one Mike!

Governments pumped billions into the system just to stand still but we the public pay for it.

A system run on ‘confidence’ will always have crashes - and a very small minority profit.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mikebv said:

19 minutes ago, GWC said:

I think we all know the answer to that one Mike!

Governments pumped billions into the system just to stand still but we the public pay for it.

A system run on ‘confidence’ will always have crashes - and a very small minority profit.

The government made a healthy profit on much of its injection into the banks

6 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

The government made a healthy profit on much of its injection into the banks

And the banks have lost nothing during the pandemic. All loans underwritten by the government are what is described as ‘zero risk’ rated so no bank capital is used and the return on the loan goes straight to the bottom line of the bank as net as profit.

The conservatives have been irresponsible in the loans/grants to businesses during the pandemic and those in receipt are surprised regarding the tax implications and are pleading  ignorance on this point despite most having accountants who will have given best advice. 

The tax payer in the U.K. has been ripped off because of so many unscrupulous businesses falsely taking loans and an irresponsible government who with such abandon, threw money at a situation without thinking it through and consequently leaving a system open to abuse. How many businesses owners have taken the open cheques from the government and bought premium bonds etc. Those who doubt this are ill informed, most accountants know what has gone on and when tax returns are completed, accountants are alerted as to why the returns are wrong and most of the issues relate to the grants and loans dished out willy nilley by the government to businesses who are less than honest.

The current financial implications for the domestic market re price caps on fuel etc. are because of the failure to manage the reduction in fossil fuel use over a reasonable period of time and the investment in alternatives which has lead to everyone paying over the odds in the short term rather than a managed financial strategy over a reasonable period of time. The hike in direct/indirect taxation through NI as well as the fuel increase etc. should never be solely down to one individual of the like of Sunak who through family wealth will never ever be impacted by the hardship of the average U.K. citizen.

It says it where the country has a top table as a governing body which is made up of the privilege few who the rules do not apply and yet claim to understand the current financial crisis but will never be affected by the financial hardship many will suffer. They seem to be really taking the p... out of each and every struggling worker/household.

• Like 3