British Speedway Forum
MattB

British Speedway statement

24 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

The number of tracks that have disappeared over the years would suggest that the good old days were not always as good as popularly remembered... ;)

That is true, but I don't think the rate of closures we have seen over recent years, was seen in the 60s and 70s, but maybe I'm wrong? :unsure: 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

I think many venues were tried and were financial failures. Others certainly disappeared due to development, being kicked out by the dogs or other sports.

yes but what was the proportion? A few were duds - Nelson, Doncaster, White City. I'm guessing the majority is due to eviction for one reason or another.

8 hours ago, jenga said:

What the fork springs to mind . do they sell/make forks or is a swear word cleaned up ?

ts like when my eldest was very young and we went somewhere and he came out and asked for a fork n knife .lol

https://whatthefork.co.uk/

10 hours ago, Jonny the spud said:

A while ago I posted that topics on the future of the sports always descend into the “good old days” 

just saying. 

Problem is despite the 'authorities' constantly changing the rules they've been unable to resurrect the "Good Old Days" when speedway enjoyed prime time terrestrial TV and sponsorship and when riders like Mauger, Briggs & Collins were household names and the sport enjoyed decent crowds.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

There are so many problems for today’s speedway clubs to deal with, some (most) problems have been self inflicted and allowed to happen through incompetence or head in the sand management, the blame is 100% with the promoters running speedway but some are as a result of the many other leisure opportunities to spend your money on. To be the owner/promoter of a speedway club at this time must be a financial nightmare and seriously nerve racking as many promotors will have there own money invested in a business that’s falling apart year on year with very little chance of turning things around. The BSPA can fiddle about with helmet colours and tinker making daft rule changes BUT there are no simple answers, no silver bullet. It’s not rocket science to see the sport in unsustainable with more money going out than what is coming in and speedway has sadly reached the point of no return. 

• Like 5

Can any other professional sport in the UK claim to have lost as many teams over the past 70 years that speedway has?

Can any other professional sport in the UK claim to be as poor at ensuring and securing its long term survival than speedway?

17 minutes ago, Deano said:

Can any other professional sport in the UK claim to have lost as many teams over the past 70 years that speedway has?

Can any other professional sport in the UK claim to be as poor at ensuring and securing its long term survival than speedway?

Speedway has never been a professional sport, it's always been a professional joke why do you think no one takes it seriously, full of OAP's with nothing to attract the younger fan!

27 minutes ago, ArthurRudge said:

Speedway has never been a professional sport, it's always been a professional joke why do you think no one takes it seriously, full of OAP's with nothing to attract the younger fan!

...it attracted me as a 12 year old in 1972 and many others no doubt. Trouble is the powers that be have so diluted/messed around with the product it no longer attracts people of all ages in any great number.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, ArthurRudge said:

There are two ways to look at professional. Professional as in 'run professionally' or professional from the point of view the riders earn their living from speedway. As we know, riders do earn money from speedway and in my opinion, this is where the problem is. In the 'old days' most riders in the 2nd tier leagues would be semi-professional riders, they would have a job too, which made up their money. Yes, probably most of the top tier riders would have been fully professional. This has been mentioned many times and to cut to the chase, the costs riders spend on their gear is astronomical, with no sign of reducing costs. The gates are reducing each year, so the circle is not being squared. You either radically change the sport/activity or watch it go up its own fundament!  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...it attracted me as a 12 year old in 1972 and many others no doubt. Trouble is the powers that be have so diluted/messed around with the product it no longer attracts people of all ages in any great number.

Speedway had, and probably still could have basic appeal as it can be viewed on different levels - from 4 riders racing for 4 laps, to the different match tactics, to the intricacies of team building and heat formulas. It clearly got me interested at some point, although looking back the presentation was a bit dated even in the 1980s, and some of the rules have always been a joke.

It's hard to know at what point it lost youth interest, but I suspect it's a combination of becoming somewhat expensive whilst the stadiums and presentation stayed the same (or even got worse). The rise of football along with its generally improved stadiums may also have had something to do with it, although that's also suffering from an increasing aged viewership. 

The loss of urban tracks probably didn't help. My father probably didn't even know about speedway so if I hadn't been able to cycle to the local track with all the kids that also went from my neighbourhood, then I may never have got interested in the first place. The same when I later went to Hackney and Rye House - only because I could get there on public transport. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Speedtiger said:

There are so many problems for today’s speedway clubs to deal with, some (most) problems have been self inflicted and allowed to happen through incompetence or head in the sand management, the blame is 100% with the promoters running speedway but some are as a result of the many other leisure opportunities to spend your money on. To be the owner/promoter of a speedway club at this time must be a financial nightmare and seriously nerve racking as many promotors will have there own money invested in a business that’s falling apart year on year with very little chance of turning things around. The BSPA can fiddle about with helmet colours and tinker making daft rule changes BUT there are no simple answers, no silver bullet. It’s not rocket science to see the sport in unsustainable with more money going out than what is coming in and speedway has sadly reached the point of no return. 

"Doing exactly the same thing over and over again and, each time you do it expecting a completely different result" is oft quoted as the definition of insanity. ...

Seven man teams - Tick

Fixed race nights even if not the best night to race on - Tick

No aspirational growth of the sport due to teams deciding themselves what league they race in - Tick

Employees own agendas dictating your opening hours - Tick

Guests galore - Tick

Sharing riders across both divisions - Tick

The same teams and riders visiting frequently so a lack of variety for fans - Tick 

Increasing admission costs to pay for full time professionals in a sport with such a low following - Tick

Using averages delivered by many variable reasons to build the teams to be 'equal' - Tick

Minimal transparency of rules so they can be circumnavigated or, if needed, completely ignored - Tick

The shelving of a Five Year Plan well before the five years are up - Tick

Every rider being eligible to ride for every team on an adhoc basis thus ensuring that winning has no kudos or relevance - Tick

Etc. Etc. Etc..

All boxes ticked....

Wonder what 2022 will turn out like? :rolleyes::D

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 8

24 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Speedway had, and probably still could have basic appeal as it can be viewed on different levels - from 4 riders racing for 4 laps, to the different match tactics, to the intricacies of team building and heat formulas. It clearly got me interested at some point, although looking back the presentation was a bit dated even in the 1980s, and some of the rules have always been a joke.

It's hard to know at what point it lost youth interest, but I suspect it's a combination of becoming somewhat expensive whilst the stadiums and presentation stayed the same (or even got worse). The rise of football along with its generally improved stadiums may also have had something to do with it, although that's also suffering from an increasing aged viewership. 

The loss of urban tracks probably didn't help. My father probably didn't even know about speedway so if I hadn't been able to cycle to the local track with all the kids that also went from my neighbourhood, then I may never have got interested in the first place. The same when I later went to Hackney and Rye House - only because I could get there on public transport. 

I think over the years, speedway missed a trick. Tracks should have insured they all had their own cycle speedway teams, with cycle speedway tracks actually built on the infield. That way, youngsters would feel that they were part of their local speedway team, with aspirations, perhaps, to move to the motorised version. Cycle speedway is down in the dumps, but a few hang on. But, to my knowledge, none of the cycle speedway clubs are affiliated with the methanol version. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

I think over the years, speedway missed a trick. Tracks should have insured they all had their own cycle speedway teams, with cycle speedway tracks actually built on the infield. That way, youngsters would feel that they were part of their local speedway team, with aspirations, perhaps, to move to the motorised version. Cycle speedway is down in the dumps, but a few hang on. But, to my knowledge, none of the cycle speedway clubs are affiliated with the methanol version. 

Today the issue of linking Cycle speedway would probably be an obesity problem and the lack of willing youngsters to drag themselves away from the on-line electronic world. If they could be attracted how many could ride/manage laps needed to complete a race? Whatever most forum members offer in terms of ideas and opinions about speedway  those in charge are delusional and treat the punters with contempt. Those that watch and support the clubs simply want to be entertained. Finally the riders seem to think that they are owed a living and expect punters and sponsors to subsidise their ambitions and as a consequence spend thousands on machinery to race hoping to make up their lack of ability when in fact many could achieve greatness If that actually tried to hone their motor cycle skills rather then rely on a over powered piece of machinery which is not suited to most tracks in the U.K. Riders are not in touch with the fans and the club owners could not give a fig what punters think. To those in charge everything is hunky dory. Dream on you fools.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

Today the issue of linking Cycle speedway would probably be an obesity problem and the lack of willing youngsters to drag themselves away from the on-line electronic world. If they could be attracted how many could ride/manage laps needed to complete a race? Whatever most forum members offer in terms of ideas and opinions about speedway  those in charge are delusional and treat the punters with contempt. Those that watch and support the clubs simply want to be entertained. Finally the riders seem to think that they are owed a living and expect punters and sponsors to subsidise their ambitions and as a consequence spend thousands on machinery to race hoping to make up their lack of ability when in fact many could achieve greatness If that actually tried to hone their motor cycle skills rather then rely on a over powered piece of machinery which is not suited to most tracks in the U.K. Riders are not in touch with the fans and the club owners could not give a fig what punters think. To those in charge everything is hunky dory. Dream on you fools.

I agree, that would be the situation now, but could have been introduced years ago! We have 3 cycle speedway tracks in Ipswich, The Ipswich Cycle Speedway Track and Great Blakenham Cycle Speedway Track, not sure about Kesgrave. The tracks are in superb condition, but as far as I know, the Castrol R version, pays little attention! 

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

"Doing exactly the same thing over and over again and, each time you do it expecting a completely different result" is oft quoted as the definition of insanity. ...

Seven man teams - Tick

Fixed race nights even if not the best night to race on - Tick

No aspirational growth of the sport due to teams deciding themselves what league they race in - Tick

Employees own agendas dictating your opening hours - Tick

Guests galore - Tick

Sharing riders across both divisions - Tick

The same teams and riders visiting frequently so a lack of variety for fans - Tick 

Increasing admission costs to pay for full time professionals in a sport with has such a low following - Tick

Using averages delivered by many variable reasons to build the teams to be 'equal' - Tick

Minimal transparency of rules so they can be circumnavigated or, if needed, completely ignored - Tick

The shelving of a Five Year Plan well before the five years are up - Tick

Etc. Etc. Etc..

All boxes ticked....

Wonder what 2022 will turn out like? :rolleyes::D

Very true! We will have yet another repeat of the past few seasons of dwindling crowds and more clubs going to the wall or packing up. The clueless clowns at the BSPA have previously proved commercially inept and powerless in stopping the terminal decline of the sport and in many cases have helped it along the way to the point where speedway is now well beyond a reversal of fortunes! The good old days, if they ever were, have gone forever. 

• Like 1