British Speedway Forum
MattB

British Speedway statement

1 hour ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

I would suggest Phil Morris to perhaps be that person. Former rider and shrewd business owner and holds a regular job in speedway at the highest level. 

Not a bad game show contestant either!

2 hours ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

I would suggest Phil Morris to perhaps be that person. Former rider and shrewd business owner and holds a regular job in speedway at the highest level. 

Fireman Phil?

How many meetings would be postponed due to waterlogged tracks?  :D

53 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Fireman Phil?

How many meetings would be postponed due to waterlogged tracks?  :D

None , its in the best interest of speedway ..

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Speedtiger said:

As a bv fan I have a different opinion of mr smith, in the 5 years he’s helped run the club with main man Lemo, he’s achieved very little. I have talked to him a few times and he just don’t listen and he’s not taken the club forward and he’s arrogantly pushed away many long serving bv volunteers and worse upset a former hero world champion PC. The club have lost a small fortune and crowds are low and nowhere near what they should be for such a great track and stadium but. bv don’t even run the NSS now. There’s more football and other stuff done by the council. IMHO he’s certainly not a business man. Business men are only their to make money not loose it. 

I think your view is more accurate than Spiegal’s. 

21 hours ago, spiegal said:

In my (humble) opinion the ONLY individual I would entrust to running this sport would be ADRIAN SMITH who is at B.Vue.

Smart of mind, intelligent, erudite, has business acumen, impressive when dealing with possible major sponsors,TV, media...great qualities which currently very sadly lacking. 

I'd agree.   Certainly a better business brain than messers Chapman and Godfrey.   

Came into Belle Vue at a very precarious time and has stabilised it, and made the club look more professional.  He claimed to know nothing about the sport when he first came in, but he's respected the history and traditions of Belle Vue.  Even staged meetings behind closed doors in 2020 to keep the unbroken record going.  He hasn't changed the club colours and rebranded it The Manchester Machine.  Sponsorship has grown steadily and they seem to run to a sustainable budget, despite running 2 teams.  There hasn't been any question of running or not running the following year.   I also like that he walks round the stadium during meetings talking with and listening to fans.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

I'd agree.   Certainly a better business brain than messers Chapman and Godfrey.   

Came into Belle Vue at a very precarious time and has stabilised it, and made the club look more professional.  He claimed to know nothing about the sport when he first came in, but he's respected the history and traditions of Belle Vue.  Even staged meetings behind closed doors in 2020 to keep the unbroken record going.  He hasn't changed the club colours and rebranded it The Manchester Machine.  Sponsorship has grown steadily and they seem to run to a sustainable budget, despite running 2 teams.  There hasn't been any question of running or not running the following year.   I also like that he walks round the stadium during meetings talking with and listening to fans.

Steve Purchase used to do the same at Cowley.

3 hours ago, PotteringAround said:

Even the village idiot has a better business brain than Chapman and Godfrey’s combined.
Judging by your comments I suspect you’ve may have never met smith and had a conversation with him about bv and the sport?

I’m not judging smith by his amazing ability to walk around the stadium and that he’s bravely resisted changing the club colours or on his complete lack of speedway knowledge. I’m judging him on pure business acumen and the fact he and Lemon, who was hired to run the Aces without investing a penny of there own money, have achieved relatively nothing or promoted the club hard and taken the club forward. They done very little except take there wages and overseen the club loose eye watering amounts of money year on year which I fear will eventually have to stop and that will put the club at risk of closure. BV like many uk clubs is unsustainable and effectively bust. With that dismal track record to suggest mr smith is capable of running the sport is astonishingly farcical and totally naive. Even the clueless clowns in Rugby will see that and it won’t happen. 

Edited by Speedtiger

1 hour ago, Speedtiger said:

the club loose eye watering amounts of money year on year

Christ I shiver every time i read this or similar, how much longer before someone addresses the costs

Until a major league sponsor invests enough money to take the sport forward, and insists that their investment is professionally run. It will continue to lurch from year to year. 

The failure to attract a major sponsor is the biggest failing of the powers that be and should be recognised as such 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Jonny the spud said:

Until a major league sponsor invests enough money to take the sport forward, and insists that their investment is professionally run. It will continue to lurch from year to year. 

The failure to attract a major sponsor is the biggest failing of the powers that be and should be recognised as such 

....that was one observation having live matches transmitted to one's home when SKY were onboard? Never happened and another opportunity lost. I never believed at the time having live league matches would raise the profile of the sport and successfully attract not only major sponsors but new fans in any great numbers.

You won't get a major sponsor with such a Mickey Mouse operating model...

Unless it's Disney....

Imagine Tesco sponsoring the Aces and they fail to qualify for the play offs by a point because Dan Bewley had the previous meeting scored a maximum for the Wolverhampton 'Sainsbury' Wolves in a victory for them. .? :D

You simply won't get companies putting "big money" in when that can happen...

There's a reason Poland runs its Speedway properly and that is they know if they don't then they too will struggle to attract crowds, media coverage and sponsors. .

Several teams will contest the play offs next year, four will reach the two finals, two teams will win, and two teams will lose...

And hardly anyone out of 67 million people in the UK will even notice, never mind care....

Yet they will, once again, persist with an operating model which clearly doesn't (and can never) work, if you ever want to move the sport forward...

What we have is really all there is, and ever will be I would suggest,  given the clear reluctance to implement the radical changes that the sport desperately needs if it is ever to be considered again as relevant and credible,  within the UK's overall sporting hierarchy...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

You won't get a major sponsor with such a Mickey Mouse operating model...

Unless it's Disney....

Imagine Tesco sponsoring the Aces and they fail to qualify for the play offs by a point because Dan Bewley had the previous meeting scored a maximum for the Wolverhampton 'Sainsbury' Wolves in a victory for them. .? :D

You simply won't get companies putting "big money" in when that can happen...

There's a reason Poland runs its Speedway properly and that is they know if they don't then they too will struggle to attract crowds, media coverage and sponsors. .

Several teams will contest the play offs next year, four will reach the two finals, two teams will win, and two teams will lose...

And hardly anyone out of 67 million people in the UK will even notice, never mind care....

Yet they will, once again, persist with an operating model which clearly doesn't (and can never) work, if you ever want to move the sport forward...

What we have is really all there is, and ever will be I would suggest,  given the clear reluctance to implement the radical changes that the sport desperately needs if it is ever to be considered again as relevant and credible,  within the UK's overall sporting hierarchy...

Two words, "lucky loser" :D

5 hours ago, Speedtiger said:

Judging by your comments I suspect you’ve may have never met smith and had a conversation with him about bv and the sport?

And that's just the latest in a long line of things you've assumed and got completely wrong.

You don't seem to have a good word for anyone.   To you everyone is a clueless clown....  I'm afraid that's called projection.

Edited by PotteringAround
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, topsoil said:

Two words, "lucky loser" :D

Even that though is to keep those down the table interested to the end of the season...

With relegation and an extended play offs, there wont be any 'dead rubbers" to be held I would think, which can only help keep crowd levels high across the whole league. .

And let's be honest, the UK cannot criticise any other countries operating model can it?

Especially one that generates literally millions of pounds sponsorship each season...