British Speedway Forum
MattB

British Speedway statement

On 11/11/2021 at 1:19 PM, Ghosty said:

Most riders ride in both leagues so therefore have REAL averages for both leagues, so were or how does the conversion rate apply?

Most, but not all...6 teams in the Premiership, 11 teams in the Championship...Both had 7 rider teams. All are not being fitted into both leagues.
Still a bunch of riders that were Championship only.

So basically “all is well here, more of the same please!”

Except it’s a shocker to get rid of the rising star scheme in the championship. Although I don’t know why I’m surprised, I just don’t get it one little bit.

I’ve said it many times but it should also be 6 man teams. Time and time again there is always a rider shortage so limit the number of riders needing to be found in the first place!

• Like 6

Should be one league 5/6 man teams. I think Denmark is 5 man teams. All riders get more rides so earn more money so don't need 2 teams. Something radical needs changing because current system doesn't work. Not enough riders so guests are constantly needed which makes the sport a joke

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, bruno said:

Should be one league 5/6 man teams. I think Denmark is 5 man teams. All riders get more rides so earn more money so don't need 2 teams. Something radical needs changing because current system doesn't work. Not enough riders so guests are constantly needed which makes the sport a joke

they know this, they've known it for some time. We all know it. And yet....

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ch958 said:

they know this, they've known it for some time. We all know it. And yet....

And yet the big 6 don't want it that's the boys club that needs looking at if speedway is to progress 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HenryW said:

Most, but not all...6 teams in the Premiership, 11 teams in the Championship...Both had 7 rider teams. All are not being fitted into both leagues.
Still a bunch of riders that were Championship only.

And the ones with just a CL average would be on big time bargain averages if signed in the PL. Auty, Aarnio, Wethers, Sam Jensen would all be good value reserves, but Kye Thomson would be my top choice.

Edited by arnieg

It seems there will be premiership fillers next year which means seeing the same riders again and again. Like a fair few I suspect ,I will be picking my meetings next season. It would be great to see Glasgow, Redcar , Oxford etc . It just seems madness to me to keep peddling something that obviously isn't really working

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bruno said:

It seems there will be premiership fillers next year which means seeing the same riders again and again. Like a fair few I suspect ,I will be picking my meetings next season. It would be great to see Glasgow, Redcar , Oxford etc . It just seems madness to me to keep peddling something that obviously isn't really working

Why would club promoters (ie the BSPL) vote for something that 'obviously isn't really working'?

If as is often claimed, they only have 'self-interest' at heart then surely it follows that they must - in the main - be relatively happy with finances, attendances and the status quo?!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

And yet the big 6 don't want it that's the boys club that needs looking at if speedway is to progress 

Spot on..

However...

Those words "big 6" are as classic a misnomer as ever written.. 

Stockport County can get as near as damn it in one match what six matches collectively in a week in the Premier League can deliver..

And they are in level five of the Football League structure.. 

It's a tiny, tiny, sport, yet it seems some still have delusions that what they are running has some major relevance, meaning and impact...

Unfortunatley due to the way they run it, it has none of the above..

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2021 at 6:33 PM, Mr Blobby said:

Embarrass themselves every year at the BSPA. 5 year plan for the RS pretty sure every man and their dog could’ve told you last year this would only last a season and well there we go scrapped already. 

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2021 at 10:43 PM, topsoil said:

Should have introduced a Lucky Loser like Poland. They know how to do things right.

Yes, Poland have a system where U21 Polish riders are reserves & stay there irrespective of their success.

Smektala, Chugunov, Drabik & Miskowiak to name a few.

7 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

So that’s Buster x 2, Bates, CVS, Louis, and Smith ( who we understand has tried to rattle the top table ) .As Godfrey was Busters right hand man and supporter , Bates has power in both divisions and the newest promoters don’t get a vote for 3 years, how do you think you can break up the boys club?

Quote from a Belle vue programme this season " The current structure is not sustainable, and in my opinion has never been sustainable.We have a great sport and in my view the solution is simple.We have to create a structure with independent management and a League format where the first division and the second division has clear delineation"

AS . CEO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

So that’s Buster x 2, Bates, CVS, Louis, and Smith ( who we understand has tried to rattle the top table ) .As Godfrey was Busters right hand man and supporter , Bates has power in both divisions and the newest promoters don’t get a vote for 3 years, how do you think you can break up the boys club?

You can't :rofl:

If a sport was crying out to be reinvented and those in charge show some imagination this was what speedway 2022 should have been about in order to excite the existing punters and attract new interest from those who have drifted away as well as tempting first timers to come and watch.

Instead you have the same tired routine and the top tier with just six teams racing each other maybe two, three or four times in a season of fixture fits and starts with the summer months probably being wasted with a sparse list of team matches interspersed with GP’s and World Cup type fixtures. 

Will the play offs be held in early September and completed mid month, no chance, they will drag on into October despite the lack of teams. How you can make a season interesting with just six teams is anyone’s guess.

Sad that speedway has got to this stage and that those in charge are neither understanding how the market has changed (Poland is an example of what needs and can be done in terms of presentation) nor acknowledging that it is no longer what it was in the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s as a spectator sport. The bikes have changed, the skill sets are different but the stadia are awful (not much can be done as most clubs don’t own them) but the presentation and content as well as offering value money is in the hands of the club owners/promoters.

Unfortunately these custodians of the sport continually ignore those frustrated fans who so desperately want the sport to return to its glory days but that is never going to happen as long as you have no independent body overseeing the sport and you do not have someone in charge with vision to want to take it to another level. 

• Like 1