British Speedway Forum
MattB

British Speedway statement

18 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Why would club promoters (ie the BSPL) vote for something that 'obviously isn't really working'?

If as is often claimed, they only have 'self-interest' at heart then surely it follows that they must - in the main - be relatively happy with finances, attendances and the status quo?!

In a year when 3 championship clubs have folded and one came very close to doing so and criticism of the treatment of the NDL has at times been scathing, that is hard to accept. 

If they are motivated by 'self interest' then the plight of the sport as a whole may not matter much and there are those who would far sooner state that everything is fine when - clearly - it isn't than admit they have got it seriously wrong. In doing so, they fool themselves only. 

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 6

While I can understand the rational behind the BSPL. I think it's more about trying to pick themselves off the floor and put a brave face on the situation. I still think consulting the supporters would help as there are loyal supporters willing to cough up some cash to help. As yet sheer arrogance.

18 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

In a year when 3 championship clubs have folded and one came very close to doing so and criticism of the treatment of the NDL has at times been scathing, that is hard to accept. 

If they are motivated by 'self interest' then the plight of the sport as a whole may not matter much and there are those who would far sooner state that everything is fine when - clearly - it isn't than admit they have got it seriously wrong. In doing so, they fool themselves only. 

I've always thought that 'survival of the fittest' is the grand master plan. Look how quickly they picked over the bones of Eastbourne once they folded.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I've always thought that 'survival of the fittest' is the grand master plan. Look how quickly they picked over the bones of Eastbourne once they folded.

exactly my thoughts .. let go all the "will they won't they" clubs

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Erm I'd have thought that was down to the riders who had just lost their jobs surely??

23 minutes ago, Trees said:

Erm I'd have thought that was down to the riders who had just lost their jobs surely??

So sod the fans like me that have lost money. What about the sponsors and suppliers that have been ripped off. The riders are not the only losers in this sorry saga. 

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

So sod the fans like me that have lost money. What about the sponsors and suppliers that have been ripped off. The riders are not the only losers in this sorry saga. 

But you made the point that Promoters from other clubs were picking the bones of Eastbourne speedway.

It is on record from the riders that they had not been paid and were owed money.

What is so wrong with clubs coming in and offering those riders jobs at their clubs.

At the end of the day the problem at Eastbourne is down a certain party as I see , I fail to see how the BSPL can be held accountable for one parties poorly run business.

As you point out its not just riders who have been duped there are many others, and I am not saying the BSPL are perfect far from it, but to lay the blame and to criticize them for taking riders from the then defunct team at Eastbourne.

One thing that they surely need to do is to have a better vetting system when giving out Promoter liscenses.  

On 11/14/2021 at 5:36 AM, Halifaxtiger said:

which 3 championship clubs folded.

Eastbourne was would appear to be due to Mis- Management, reputed to be returning in 2023

Kent appears to be down to new stadium owners increasing the rent and the Promoter not feeling he could afford to carry on with the rent increases, still given extra time to find a Promoter to take it on. (But not likely to happen) 

I would not say that Birmingham have folded there seems to be consortium that seem to really interested to keep Birmingham running.

So I make that at this present moment

Eastbourne temporary not running

Kent more than likely to fold.

Birmingham a reasonable chance to see them running next year. 

On 11/13/2021 at 7:54 AM, Najjer said:

So basically “all is well here, more of the same please!”

Except it’s a shocker to get rid of the rising star scheme in the championship. Although I don’t know why I’m surprised, I just don’t get it one little bit.

I’ve said it many times but it should also be 6 man teams. Time and time again there is always a rider shortage so limit the number of riders needing to be found in the first place!

I totally agree with the 6 man teams, especially with the shortage of quality riders.

29 minutes ago, spin king said:

But you made the point that Promoters from other clubs were picking the bones of Eastbourne speedway.

It is on record from the riders that they had not been paid and were owed money.

What is so wrong with clubs coming in and offering those riders jobs at their clubs.

At the end of the day the problem at Eastbourne is down a certain party as I see , I fail to see how the BSPL can be held accountable for one parties poorly run business.

As you point out its not just riders who have been duped there are many others, and I am not saying the BSPL are perfect far from it, but to lay the blame and to criticize them for taking riders from the then defunct team at Eastbourne.

One thing that they surely need to do is to have a better vetting system when giving out Promoter liscenses.  

You're right and you're wrong in your perception I'm afraid, when a club ceases with debts or is annulled the riders registrations/loan agreements become the responsibility of the BSPL consequently there is a responsibility to find the riders a team if possible. As you can see clubs clamour to cherry pick a failed promotion's riders which makes it unpalatable to those with more integrity so riders get dumped to make way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spin king said:

Maybe the bonds need to be higher? I don't know if they are really strict about the bonds?

7 hours ago, spin king said:

which 3 championship clubs folded.

Eastbourne was would appear to be due to Mis- Management, reputed to be returning in 2023

Kent appears to be down to new stadium owners increasing the rent and the Promoter not feeling he could afford to carry on with the rent increases, still given extra time to find a Promoter to take it on. (But not likely to happen) 

I would not say that Birmingham have folded there seems to be consortium that seem to really interested to keep Birmingham running.

So I make that at this present moment

Eastbourne temporary not running

Kent more than likely to fold.

Birmingham a reasonable chance to see them running next year. 

I must admit I am struggling to understand how you believe that three teams have not folded during 2021. I can certainly accept that there are recognisable reasons why that was the case, but it clearly happened.

The same could be said of Rye House, Lakeside, Buxton, Coventry and virtually every other track lost in the past few years.

Eastbourne was definitely down to mismanagement - and from what I heard worse than that - but they did not finish the season. It is very likely indeed that they will return, but that is substantially due to the exceptional nature of the ownership of the stadium. From the same source, I am told that the Dugard family do not actually charge the speedway promotion rent but merely reimbursement of match day costs - which reflects their long term and deeply committed approach to the sport.

Kent does seem to be about the change of stadium owners - although Len Silver did indicate other reasons for pulling out - given that the former owner Roger Cearns was speedway co-promoter. It certainly seems to me that if there was a viable and profitable future for speedway there a prospective promoter would be found and the new landlords would welcome the continuance of racing at Central Park but it seems no-one has come forward and from comments on here ARC look to be dead against it. 

I'll hold my breath on Birmingham. It was a huge success on opening but has a very chequered history since, with David Mason (after suffering truly frightening losses) being just one of a number of promoters who have walked away. That's something that any potential new promoter will have to consider before taking it on. 

Finally, I'd point out that only as a result of a last minute intervention were Newcastle saved, Rob Grant having publicly stated that they were to close. 

At present, there are 17 stand alone clubs committed to running in BSPL competition in 2022. 10 years ago, there were 28. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I must admit I am struggling to understand how you believe that three teams have not folded during 2021. I can certainly accept that there are recognisable reasons why that was the case, but it clearly happened.

The same could be said of Rye House, Lakeside, Buxton, Coventry and virtually every other track lost in the past few years.

Eastbourne was definitely down to mismanagement - and from what I heard worse than that - but they did not finish the season. It is very likely indeed that they will return, but that is substantially due to the exceptional nature of the ownership of the stadium. From the same source, I am told that the Dugard family do not actually charge the speedway promotion rent but merely reimbursement of match day costs - which reflects their long term and deeply committed approach to the sport.

Kent does seem to be about the change of stadium owners - although Len Silver did indicate other reasons for pulling out - given that the former owner Roger Cearns was speedway co-promoter. It certainly seems to me that if there was a viable and profitable future for speedway there a prospective promoter would be found and the new landlords would welcome the continuance of racing at Central Park but it seems no-one has come forward and from comments on here ARC look to be dead against it. 

I'll hold my breath on Birmingham. It was a huge success on opening but has a very chequered history since, with David Mason (after suffering truly frightening losses) being just one of a number of promoters who have walked away. That's something that any potential new promoter will have to consider before taking it on. 

Finally, I'd point out that only as a result of a last minute intervention were Newcastle saved, Rob Grant having publicly stated that they were to close. 

At present, there are 17 stand alone clubs committed to running in BSPL competition in 2022. 10 years ago, there were 28. 

So, therefore, the only correct and sensible thing to so is to carry on with such a winning formula isnt it? 

Keep running seven man teams even though there isnt enough riders, meaning every team can share several riders with someone else in the league below and thus, very little demarcation between the top two leagues..

Thus, zero aspirational attainment to grow...

Keep running fixed (restrictive) race nights simply to ensure all the riders have an opportunity to do a seven day stretch and have loads of rides...

With whether your fans thinking it is the best night to race on being very much a secondary (and maybe even lower?) consideration.. 

And keep running two leagues with an ever dwindling number of clubs taking part, thus rendering both pretty much worthless recognition wise in winning..

Even more so when any team who wins can, and invariably will, get help from every other team in the league to attain that "success"...

They seem to have unearthed a new adage..

"If it IS broken, dont fix it".  

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 8

On 11/11/2021 at 3:50 PM, spin king said:

Disappointed to see that the Championship clubs have dumped the Rising Star programme.

For me riders need to be able to progress through the league and to do this the programme has to run through all of the leagues.

So it is looking like only 6 teams in the Premiership

So with one Rising Star for each team these are the riders that should be the 6 Rising Star,

Leon Flint

Tom Brennan

Jordan Palin

Anders Rowe

Drew Kemp

Dan Thompson

I would then like to see reserve list, these riders will cover Guest appearances for the above riders, retirements or riders dropped.

Dan Gilkes

Joe Thompson

Jason Edwards

Henry Atkins

Jack Parkinson Blackburn

Connor Bailey 

I think Jack Thomas should be added to the list.....he might be 22, but take 2020 out (no speedway)