British Speedway Forum
MattB

British Speedway statement

5 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Of those no longer operating 5 (Lakeside, Stoke, Dudley, Swindon and Coventry) were due to the loss of the stadiums (this may also apply to Kent). Rye House, Somerset & Buxton closed for financial reasons, although in Somerset's case that was more to do with the loss of revenue from their club house.

While I wouldn't suggest that speedway's finances are anything but parlous, this suggests that the reason for the loss of teams is at least as much about an inability to have somewhere to race than people not being prepared to invest (with Workington and Oxford coming back, clearly they are).

I think the key point though, is those stadiums no longer became viable for running speedway. 

I'd agree much of it is down to the dogs, erm... going to the dogs, but the fact that speedway is often symbiotic with another sport and can't sustain venues by itself, sums up much of the issue. In particular, the loss of Coventry which was the 'jewel' in the speedway crown, really demonstrates how far the sport has fallen, and the loss of 'urban' venues such as Swindon shows the sport is unable to resist demand for re-development. I'd suggest the loss of those long-standing circuits is far more significant than circuits that have tended to come-and-go over the years. 

Even though new venues have been considered because of inadequacies of their inner city sites, no-one would serious suggest closing down Goodison Park, Aston Villa, Chelsea or Fulham even if their clubs are in debt. There's still too much at stake for it to be a realistic prospect. 

5 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

According to this article, the Premier League lost  £2.74bn in 10 years: 

Which is no model for any sport to follow. By comparison, I think over half the NFL teams are able to make a profit, and probably only 25% of those make ongoing losses.

• Like 3

It needs a complete revolution, not fiddling while Rome burns. The reality is the product and package isn't good enough...and people outside of the speedway bubble couldn't give a toss over doubling up or whatever the latest rule tweak is. 

My vision is for the British speedway to:

• move to a family-friendly weekend model
  • be part of a multi-motorsport experience including sidecars, quads, flat track etc

That's the core offering from any other motor sport experience in the UK road or off road. People of all ages get a full day out and people get to see disciplines they enjoy and others that they may want to grab a burger/pint during. I know I am biased, but I still believe (possibly foolishly) that with its stadium setting, speedway can offer a much more engaging spectacle that other motorsports. So, I still have hope.

Faith is another matter. British speedway doesn't have....and never really has had....the leadership or appetite to make wholesale changes to reflect public opinion. Nor, sadly are the remaining hardcore fans blameless, they too will (largely) stubbornly oppose change even whilst their fellow hardcore supporters are slowly dwindling away before their very eyes. It requires a Barry Hearn/Dana White figure...but the potential is ultimately limited, so people of that ilk are never going to come forward. And so, we will trundle on.   

• Like 3

What I don't understand is why admission prices have to be the same or similar across each league?!? 

If a promoter feels he can make his business profitable at £5-£10 why not? 

It's just an odd rule to have in place imo. 

There has to be some kind of incentive to get people back in, a full stadium is so much more entertaining than 800 vastly spread out even if you'd be a few quid down, especially with clubs that have no rents to cover. 

I just find it odd

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

What I don't understand is why admission prices have to be the same or similar across each league?!? 

If a promoter feels he can make his business profitable at £5-£10 why not? 

It's just an odd rule to have in place imo. 

There has to be some kind of incentive to get people back in, a full stadium is so much more entertaining than 800 vastly spread out even if you'd be a few quid down, especially with clubs that have no rents to cover. 

I just find it odd

I suppose it's done to try and create union and solidarity.....something that speedway is not very good at! :rolleyes:

So its confirmed the AGM is on 7th December - the deadline for Brummies and Kent to declare.

Its primarily to cover any financial and last minute issues as all the team building points/rules & regs etc have already been agreed amongst promotions.

5 hours ago, falcace said:

It needs a complete revolution, not fiddling while Rome burns. The reality is the product and package isn't good enough...and people outside of the speedway bubble couldn't give a toss over doubling up or whatever the latest rule tweak is. 

My vision is for the British speedway to:

• move to a family-friendly weekend model
  • be part of a multi-motorsport experience including sidecars, quads, flat track etc

That's the core offering from any other motor sport experience in the UK road or off road. People of all ages get a full day out and people get to see disciplines they enjoy and others that they may want to grab a burger/pint during. I know I am biased, but I still believe (possibly foolishly) that with its stadium setting, speedway can offer a much more engaging spectacle that other motorsports. So, I still have hope.

Faith is another matter. British speedway doesn't have....and never really has had....the leadership or appetite to make wholesale changes to reflect public opinion. Nor, sadly are the remaining hardcore fans blameless, they too will (largely) stubbornly oppose change even whilst their fellow hardcore supporters are slowly dwindling away before their very eyes. It requires a Barry Hearn/Dana White figure...but the potential is ultimately limited, so people of that ilk are never going to come forward. And so, we will trundle on.   

What an excellent post brilliant in fact. The dreadful promoters (CVS) and their sycophant hardcore supporters are running the sport into the ground. I'm not interested in watching some posy American with a dozen bikes and a bulging wallet. I want to watch some affordable racing with variety. The Anorak type supporter who knows nothing about the bikes covered in badges has always been around but is ruining speedway as they are acceptant of anything while propping up the despotic promoters.  Bring on some variety please my brain needs it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pieman72 said:

What an excellent post brilliant in fact. The dreadful promoters (CVS) and their sycophant hardcore supporters are running the sport into the ground. I'm not interested in watching some posy American with a dozen bikes and a bulging wallet. I want to watch some affordable racing with variety. The Anorak type supporter who knows nothing about the bikes covered in badges has always been around but is ruining speedway as they are acceptant of anything while propping up the despotic promoters.  Bring on some variety please my brain needs it. 

Why the hell are so against wolves and the promotion? And from alot of your posts speedway in general. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trackerman48 said:

Why the hell are so against wolves and the promotion? And from alot of your posts speedway in general. 

I agree, CVS and the wolves TM are one of the best and have been very successful.

if more clubs operated like CVS speedway wouldn’t be in the mess it’s in now. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Speedtiger said:

I agree, CVS and the wolves TM are one of the best and have been very successful.

if more clubs operated like CVS speedway wouldn’t be in the mess it’s in now. 

Yes, he has. Guys like Len Silver also deserve a lot of credit for keeping tracks going for a long time.

But, this is about the future, not about the past. It's not coincidence that the 60-80 year old men putting on the show are appealing to 60-80 year old men who attend. That's not long-term sustainable. It's need fresh eyes, fresh thinking and fresh blood.   

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2021 at 5:38 PM, Wee Eck said:

The one exception to this has to be Glasgow. Yes, they have poured eye watering amounts into everything that goes on at Ashfield, but the amount of publicity for the owners’ core businesses has to provide a substantial payback. 

I can’t think of any one more professional in running speedway in UK than the Glasgow owners. 

Probably helps in being a City where there are thousands of businesses, some very large, so to get sponsorship & air time is easier than a small town.

1 minute ago, IronScorpion said:

Probably helps in being a City where there are thousands of businesses, some very large, so to get sponsorship & air time is easier than a small town.

Previous Glasgow Promotions have failed to get the publicity and air time.IMO the present Promotion know how to do things right and attract the said Sponsorship and air time.Being successful business men has  probably helped them though.They deserve success in my opinion coming into a sport when they knew there was not a lot of money to be made ,but rescued the Tigers for the fans.

1 hour ago, IronScorpion said:

Are there any “city” teams where speedway does well with sponsorship? Edinburgh? Newcastle? Manchester? Birmingham? 

18 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

Are there any “city” teams where speedway does well with sponsorship? Edinburgh? Newcastle? Manchester? Birmingham? 

Not sure that Edinburgh is a good comparison. Despite the name, they race in a town of around 12,000 which is 25 miles from the City.

12 minutes ago, HenryW said:

Not sure that Edinburgh is a good comparison. Despite the name, they race in a town of around 12,000 which is 25 miles from the City.

You have a point there , but at present they do pretty well in attracting a few really good partnerships which are crucial to the club's health.  If they were ever to move to within the Edinburgh City boundaries, for whatever reason, it is highly likely that sponsorships/partnerships would be likely to increase significantly.   It is 25 years since Monarchs were actually based in the City and a lot of things have changed since then as we are all aware.

8 hours ago, Trackerman48 said:

So many tracks are closing or in financial dire straights and the BSPL and carrying on with a speedway league model that in broken. I can see your enthusiasm but we have to look to the future Wolves and their foreign riders are not the answer with only 6 teams in the Premier league and eye watering admission costs. Speedway is in a lot of trouble.