British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FromBendThree

Kent and Eastbourne

It must be pretty sad for the supporters of the Kent Kings and the Eastbourne Eagles seeing 'their' riders being snapped up by other clubs for the 2022 season.Of course, it is what happens when a club folds but I am certain a few hearts will aching in the South East of England. If you are a Kent fan, it will be a case of what might have been with regard to Gilks/Mulford and for the Eastbourne people with Brennan/Ablitt and Foord. I suppose once they've gone, they've gone, or could Eastbourne get those three back if the club comes to tapes in 2023?

2 hours ago, FromBendThree said:

It must be pretty sad for the supporters of the Kent Kings and the Eastbourne Eagles seeing 'their' riders being snapped up by other clubs for the 2022 season.Of course, it is what happens when a club folds but I am certain a few hearts will aching in the South East of England. If you are a Kent fan, it will be a case of what might have been with regard to Gilks/Mulford and for the Eastbourne people with Brennan/Ablitt and Foord. I suppose once they've gone, they've gone, or could Eastbourne get those three back if the club comes to tapes in 2023?

I went to every meeting at Arlington and Central park this season. What's happened is unbelievable really.

Eastbourne have already announced that 2022 is a non-starter for them, but maybe 2023, time will tell. Kent and for that matter Birmingham have been given more time to come to the tapes next season. I have more confidence in Birmingham staying in the Championship than Kent. There may still be speedway at Kent but at NDL level only.

1 hour ago, screm said:

Eastbourne have already announced that 2022 is a non-starter for them, but maybe 2023, time will tell. Kent and for that matter Birmingham have been given more time to come to the tapes next season. I have more confidence in Birmingham staying in the Championship than Kent. There may still be speedway at Kent but at NDL level only.

I'd settle for that, but NDL might not pay its way with a potential big rent increase.

14 hours ago, FromBendThree said:

When the previous promotion folded all club assets returned to the BSPL and riders have signed as assets to other clubs so highly unlikely, the new management team will have to start from scratch 

10 hours ago, screm said:

plans and finances are already in place for 2023 for Eastbourne, 2022 looks as if it came too soon..

12 hours ago, M.D said:

When the previous promotion folded all club assets returned to the BSPL and riders have signed as assets to other clubs so highly unlikely, the new management team will have to start from scratch 

plans and finances are already in place for 2023 for Eastbourne, 2022 looks as if it came too soon..

Feared that was the case. Sad for the Eastbourne fans and sad for the promotion. 3 local lads in the 2022 team would be a good start - mind you Brennan could well be full time in Poland by then.

On 11/12/2021 at 6:54 PM, screm said:

The huge difference between Eastbourne and Kent and Birmingham is that the landlords want speedway at their stadium and not just as a revenue stream. 

The Dugard family have been involved in the sport for decades and that runs deep.  

• Like 2

What is a shame, is all the effort that happened to get speedway in Birmingham again and to get speedway into the Sittingbourne dog track, for it all to suddenly collapse. Add in the mix Eastbourne, a track owned by a speedway dynasty, one can only feel 'the end is nigh'! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray Stadia said:

What is a shame, is all the effort that happened to get speedway in Birmingham again and to get speedway into the Sittingbourne dog track, for it all to suddenly collapse. Add in the mix Eastbourne, a track owned by a speedway dynasty, one can only feel 'the end is nigh'! 

Who could have predicted though that running such operating and business models for so many years would prove to be unsuccessful?  :rolleyes:;)

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

I have said it before and yes I know the figures, speedway at the current championship level is finacially viable at Eastbourne, its just too soon for 2022 at that level..